Rutgers GSBS MBS Newark 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone considering applying to this school listen up. I got admitted to the spring class, and I didn't have the best grades.
2.8 overall and 2.9 science. A few f's in non bio classes. a few withdrawls. 3 classes I retook. 1 D.
I was an emt, had another professional license and interned for a physician for a year.

Gre score 158/162 verbal// quantitative, 5 on essay.

Got accepted a week after I submitted. Most of these posts say you need a certain gpa you dont. They need people who did bad academically, it's how they make money. Second if you have good ec's, and can write a kicK ass personal statement, you should be fine.

I say this speaking on behalf of everyone that found success after going through this program. Your resume as a professional in the medical field showed them your serious intent to pursue medicine and THAT'S precisely why they chose you. Not just for the reason that you didn't have "the best grades," because Rutgers does NOT waste their time on people that don't reflect inspiring potential. You definitely sold yourself short and completely missed the mission that this school has in giving people that have stats like yours a chance. Shame on you for perpetuating the misconception that "Anyone with bad stats can get into a program like this." It takes MORE than that. I hope that you understand the mission now because this truly is a GREAT program and if it's something that will ultimately help you get to where you aspire to be, then you should definitely be humble and appreciative of a type of program like this rather than indirectly insulting the essence of everything that it stands for.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I say this speaking on behalf of everyone that found success after going through this program. Your resume as a professional in the medical field showed them your serious intent to pursue medicine and THAT'S precisely why they chose you. Not just for the reason that you didn't have "the best grades," because Rutgers does NOT waste their time on people that don't reflect inspiring potential. You definitely sold yourself short and completely missed the mission that this school has in giving people that have stats like yours a chance. Shame on you for perpetuating the misconception that "Anyone with bad stats can get into a program like this." It takes MORE than that. I hope that you understand the mission now because this truly is a GREAT program and if it's something that will ultimately help you get to where you aspire to be, then you should definitely be humble and appreciative of a type of program like this rather than indirectly insulting the essence of everything that it stands for.
Agreed, it's 1000% a second chance for students to prove themselves and progress into their respective field. It is also a business it's not free, it's not cheap and the degree isn't worth much outside a professional school application... Let's be real. I'm great full of my opportunity and I wasn't saying anyone can get in but "don't feel discouraged if you did bad there is hope".

Hey guys! I recently got accepted to this program as well. Can someone tell me what the best place to live is? Also, is anyone looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually looking for a roommate as well. PM me if your looking for one too

Hey everyone! I recently got accepted to the Rutgers biomedical sciences program and I have a few of questions about it. I am pre-dental and an out of state student. Can someone please shed a light on what percentage of people get accepted to dental school after this program? What classes should I take in the spring if I plan on finishing this program in one year? Also, how hard is this program overall? What is the best place to live and are you looking for a roommate? When do classes start? Sorry for all the questions but I just haven't received much info from the school and I was wondering if someone who's already in the program could chime in. Thank youu!

I was just accepted into the Piscataway program and wanted to know if anyone has the link for the Facebook thread or any tips on where to find housing!!
I was accepted for this year's cycle. Did you end up attending this program?

I was accepted for this year's cycle. Did you end up attending this program?
I've also been! Not sure if i'm going to go here yet since I have a few options but i'm looking for more details on how the linkage works and if they accept a good number of students from the program into the med school. If anyone has done this program pls share what you know!!

I've also been! Not sure if i'm going to go here yet since I have a few options but i'm looking for more details on how the linkage works and if they accept a good number of students from the program into the med school. If anyone has done this program pls share what you know!!
From what I've seen a previous post. I think they accepted 7 people in the accelerated program one year but only 3 actually accepted and attended. What other programs are you deciding between?

From what I've seen a previous post. I think they accepted 7 people in the accelerated program one year but only 3 actually accepted and attended. What other programs are you deciding between?
Ok thanks:) - I got accepted to Tufts and Case Western so i'm still deciding... I'm not sure if Rutgers is good for any med school the same way Tufts and Case Western are. So if the linkage is good for Rutgers it might be worth it but if it isn't than might be better off at Tufts...

Any one Starting the program this summer of 2017?

Could any current students or previous student of the NEWARK GBMS provide insight and recommend a schedule to take for the First semester . .

I plan on asking for Dental Histology and Dental Neuro science

If anybody has any questions about this program you can shoot me a PM. I did the program in 2 semesters and was accepted to dental school after my first semester in the program. This program is amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone who needs to prove themselves. I got a 4.0 in the program. It's definitely attainable, but you have to apply yourself and stay committed. Choosing your classes wisely is also important.

Last edited:
Hey what is the curriculum like? I am thinking about applying to this Biomedical Science program for the Spring semester

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one Starting the program this summer of 2017?

Could any current students or previous student of the NEWARK GBMS provide insight and recommend a schedule to take for the First semester . .

I plan on asking for Dental Histology and Dental Neuro science

Hi! I just finished the GSBS program and I would definitely advise you to not take such difficult classes your very first semester. I am not the only one who would recommend this considering the major reason you are in this program is for GPA. Dental schools in the end care about GPA first and don't necessarily look at exactly which classes you took. Dental histo and dental neuro are known to be a little harder so I would definitely avoid those your very first semester until you learn what kind of a student you are in a Master's and graduate level program. The program is only 30 credits and the advisors say to keep your GPA above a 3.5 (ideally 3.7+) to be considered for dental schools and it is VERY easy to drop your GPA below that with just a couple B's. Not trying to scare you, just passing down information I've learned while here :)

For class suggestions I say definitely take Pharmacology and Toxicology. Really enjoyable classes and not as difficult. Obviously studying is still required because it is a graduate level program so the amount of information you are given is a lot more than undergrad. If you really want to take dental school classes I recommend Oral Microbiology and Oral Immunology. Those are the two I took my second semester and I absolutely loved them! Just give yourself time to adjust first semester before you dive into the hard stuff because again, GPA is the MOST important thing in this program!

did anyone apply to the GSBS with an MCAT score? if so what was your score? is there a specific score that is deemed sufficient?

Just a few quick questions. When entering GPAs on the application, do we enter GPA on official transcripts (which allow repeated courses to cover up the first attempt) or med/dent school GPA (which take all attempts into account)? And do we submit the official transcripts right away or after we are accepted?

Hi! I just finished the GSBS program and I would definitely advise you to not take such difficult classes your very first semester. I am not the only one who would recommend this considering the major reason you are in this program is for GPA. Dental schools in the end care about GPA first and don't necessarily look at exactly which classes you took. Dental histo and dental neuro are known to be a little harder so I would definitely avoid those your very first semester until you learn what kind of a student you are in a Master's and graduate level program. The program is only 30 credits and the advisors say to keep your GPA above a 3.5 (ideally 3.7+) to be considered for dental schools and it is VERY easy to drop your GPA below that with just a couple B's. Not trying to scare you, just passing down information I've learned while here :)

For class suggestions I say definitely take Pharmacology and Toxicology. Really enjoyable classes and not as difficult. Obviously studying is still required because it is a graduate level program so the amount of information you are given is a lot more than undergrad. If you really want to take dental school classes I recommend Oral Microbiology and Oral Immunology. Those are the two I took my second semester and I absolutely loved them! Just give yourself time to adjust first semester before you dive into the hard stuff because again, GPA is the MOST important thing in this program!

I took the hardest class offered for Dental Scholars (Dental Phys) alongside another Dental course my first semester.

If you truly want to challenge yourself and prove to yourself (and others) that you have what it takes to succeed, take the more difficult courses.

Hi everyone,

Did anyone else hear back from Piscataway gsbs for spring 2018? I applied Oct 1st and I still haven't heard anything.

Hi everyone,

Did anyone else hear back from Piscataway gsbs for spring 2018? I applied Oct 1st and I still haven't heard anything.

Didn't hear back. Did you? I just decided to accept at Rutgers Newark GSBS

Hi everyone,

Didn't hear back. Did you hear back yet? I accepted at Rutgers Newark because I didnt hear back

Is anyone applying to this program?

Is there a forum for the new year and for the med scholars? I live close by but heard the linkage wasn't that good. Wanted some people's insight.