Rutgers or nyu?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloorMatt

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both rutgers and nyu and I'm trying to decide where I would be happiest. While price matters to me, a lot of my friends are living in the city and my parents want me going to nyu to be closer to them. However, rutgers looked like a really great school, is not too far from the city, and is cheaper. I live on long island. Opinins??

Members don't see this ad.

You should consider which programs fits you better. Does class size matter? Price should be a factor as well unless you have that already covered. Commute is a biggie. That's valuable time wasted and a big drain when you're in full-on study mode everyday.

Ultimately, your happiness will determine your success. Which school would you be most happy to attend?

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at both and I would choose Rutgers, although I was waitlisted at NYU. I know a few students at Rutgers and I think their curriculum is much harder than NYU. They both have a lot of clinical experience. NYU has a bigger class size so the student to faculty ratio is a bit higher in the clinics. At NYU that was a D4s main complain about the program (student to faculty ratio). If that doesnt matter and you'd rather live in NYC, choose NYU. Also, NYC is a much nicer area than Newark, NJ as you know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had to look through my post history for this lol.

Choosing between NYU and Buffalo was the hardest decision I had to make. I was born and raised in the city and lived there for 24 years. My friends and family were there and I actually met my current gf year before that Dec 1st date. I had many firsts with her and she's a big part of my life.

Ultimately, I couldn't do the large class size and I really couldn't do the commute to NYU. Even going to see my gf downtown was draining than it use to be in my teens. The last thing I wanted to do was drag myself through the1 hour MTA commute after a long day at dental school and I was never one to study in the library. And I definitely couldn't do that for 4 years. The cost difference was really significant, and I went to an accountant and had the numbers done, down to the monthly payment in change, as well as 5-10-15 year payment schedules and interest accumulated. I couldn't stomach the living expenses if I decided to move closer to the school.

I eyeballed a place in dec near UB, I couldn't shake the feeling of being across the street from the school, coming home for lunch breaks, going in late whenever I wanted to. Especially during the first two academic/lab heavy years. Not worrying about traffic, about delays or any other type of congestion. And to my luck, it was 15 minutes away from the airport. I had a very independent girlfriend that understood the sacrifice she was making and the one I was trying to do for our potential future. She encouraged me to go, as well as my friends and family, despite them preferring me to stay home. They definitely felt better when I had my monthly trips booked and played out.

Perhaps I typed up a bit too much, but you're in the same situation I was in and I really feel for you and your confusion at your cross road. I'm here in anyway you need. You're more than welcome to ask more questions. Buffalo has treated me with open arms. My class mates are nice, aside from a few knuckle heads. Teachers are nothing but supportive. And theres nothing better than having a cheaper loan release and seeing your apt in the distance as soon as you leave the dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat. I'm going with Rutgers, because it seems ridiculous to pay significantly more money to attend a school which feels like a factory. NYU is just too big when you have other options. Additionally (and I know this is a small point) I like that everyone in your class at Rutgers is required to wear the same colored scrubs every day. It makes getting ready for school easier in the morning and helps create class unity. And the class of 2021 will have an awesome light blue shade of scrubs!

My parents are trying to convince me that being close to family/friends is more important than the price of my education. At first, I was all about going to the cheapest school, but now I am starting to lean towards this idea. In the long scheme of things, going to NYU over a cheaper school is just 2-4 years more of your salary and living frugally.. which I dont find that terrible at all. If I were to go to NYU I would live in the city and not commute from long island. Im still deciding between nyu and rutgers, but is being a little bit closer to friends and family (nyu) worth the price? I may not even throw buffalo in the mix if I do get accepted because it is really just too far from home

The city is extremely overrated. How do I know? I went to the city for FOUR years for undergrad. I also lived in Brooklyn almost my whole life, the commute on the subway is the biggest piece of **** you can imagine. Oh it's a one hour ride, "sorry we are waiting for the train dispatcher" makes it an hour an a half. 3 hours of your day commuting? Yeah fat chance that will work for NYU.

Next, I Barely had time to go out into the city because of the classes I had to take in undergrad. Now imagine the classes you take in NYU.

The difference between the Students I saw at NYU and Rutgers is a huge difference. At NYU they looked like walking zombies. One of the tour guides looked like she didn't sleep for a week. My friend who Is A D1 looks like a shell of his former self.

Next what about Rutgers? Well first, guess who led us on the tours? The professors. They had professors touring us, no OTHER school has done that. I was suprised when I saw that. Next, at 8 in the morning there were 6-8 D4s chatting the living hell out of us up and greeting us. They looked 100 times more lively.

My choice would be Rutgers 10000%.

Reactions: 7 users
The city is extremely overrated. How do I know? I went to the city for FOUR years for undergrad. I also lived in Brooklyn almost my whole life, the commute on the subway is the biggest piece of **** you can imagine. Oh it's a one hour ride, "sorry we are waiting for the train dispatcher" makes it an hour an a half. 3 hours of your day commuting? Yeah fat chance that will work for NYU.

Next, I Barely had time to go out into the city because of the classes I had to take in undergrad. Now imagine the classes you take in NYU.

The difference between the Students I saw at NYU and Rutgers is a huge difference. At NYU they looked like walking zombies. One of the tour guides looked like she didn't sleep for a week. My friend who Is A D1 looks like a shell of his former self.

Next what about Rutgers? Well first, guess who led us on the tours? The professors. They had professors touring us, no OTHER school has done that. I was suprised when I saw that. Next, at 8 in the morning there were 6-8 D4s chatting the living hell out of us up and greeting us. They looked 100 times more lively.

I remember those D4s during my cycle. Columbia gave us a D1s but Rutgers gave us a bunch of D4s. They were extremely happy with their choice. It gave off a lot of confidence and it was hard to turn them down.

My parents are trying to convince me that being close to family/friends is more important than the price of my education. At first, I was all about going to the cheapest school, but now I am starting to lean towards this idea. In the long scheme of things, going to NYU over a cheaper school is just 2-4 years more of your salary and living frugally.. which I dont find that terrible at all. If I were to go to NYU I would live in the city and not commute from long island. Im still deciding between nyu and rutgers, but is being a little bit closer to friends and family (nyu) worth the price? I may not even throw buffalo in the mix if I do get accepted because it is really just too far from home

During my cycle Rutgers was around 310-320k. And I know current NYU price is around 120k a year including living expenses. You're paying essentially paying an extra 100k, to be about an hour closer BY TRAIN to long island.

Do you really want to do that? I mean, you're in Newark, not in California. And even if you got into Buffalo, thats less than a 2 hour plane ride to JFK.

Anyway you cut it, you're not going to hang out with your friends or family as much as you think you are. If anything, they're be a distraction more often than not. You'll be tired, exhausted during the first year, during the second year you'll be tired and exhausted in the lab. You're just not going to see your people as much as you think you are.

Reactions: 1 users
Rutgers is currently 330k OOS if you take the max. But you can cut a lot of stuff and make it 300k easy, even lower if you live frugally.
Nyu is 498k if you take the max. You can probably drop it to 468k if you live frugally.

But guess what? That's 168k difference not 100k. You know what you can do with 168k?

Unless you have military the choice should be a no brainer for all those people choosing Nyu and cheap state schools. I'll take that 168k and put it as a down payment on a new pratice while you are still gawking at your loan repayment sheet 4 years from now.

(I haven't even done the calculations for the interest for that 168k after it accrued year after year cause I would faint if I do)

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more. I was extremely impressed with Rutgers the day of the interview. The D4s were fun to hang with and I loved having the tour with professors. Altogether, Rutgers put its best foot forward as far as making the school seem polished and enjoyable. Come to Rutgers with us@floormatt and we can be friends!

I appreciate all the advice people, I am starting to look at it in a different light. But it still will be a hard decision

Nyu pros:
-Living in the city
-closer to home and friends (some live in the city)

Nyu cons:
-168k more expensive
-worse curriculum

Rutgers pros:
-happier students
-better curriculum
-cheaper school

Rutgers cons
-bad area
-farther from home/friends

Last edited:
I appreciate all the advice people, I am starting to look at it in a different light. But it still will be a hard decision

Nyu pros:
-Living in the city

Nyu cons:
-168k more expensive
-worse curriculum

Rutgers pros:
-happier students
-better curriculum
-cheaper school

Rutgers cons
-bad area
I actually know a few D1 and D2's at NYU and they do Not feel as if it a factory, and actually love the curriculum. Professors will admit that clinic experience is one of the top in the country. And tuition plus expenses is 330K if u live in brooklyn depending where it's a 45 min train ride (however will agree with likriue that it is not always reliable) but it saves ALOT of money commuting for 2.75 instead and save on the housing... just my opinion...Idk how it compares to Rutgers but that was my experience with NYU

What I notice here, in SDN I mean, Almost everyone will practically tell you not to choose NYU as if the college is a disease or something. Yes it is super expensive. You will get loans anyway.

You will pay these loans back for about 15 years of your life or 20 years of your life and some divide their loans for 30 years.
So if NYU is that bad, why do you people even apply to it.
Anyway, I'll say choose NYU because I am biased to NYC, it a nice place! and 300 class size is a good chance to meet many friends! if it's a small class you are kinda stuck with them for 4 years and not in a great place!

Plus your family and friends are near you and this could be your last chance to be near family as when you specialize you might go far away in the west or south!

But hey, some people don't want to be near their family and wants a change, so if that's your case then choose Rutger.

One Last thing. Congratulations, you did very well!
By the way, did you have a research experience and many volunteer hours? I am just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually know a few D1 and D2's at NYU and they do Not feel as if it a factory, and actually love the curriculum. Professors will admit that clinic experience is one of the top in the country. And tuition plus expenses is 330K if u live in brooklyn depending where it's a 45 min train ride (however will agree with likriue that it is not always reliable) but it saves ALOT of money commuting for 2.75 instead and save on the housing... just my opinion...Idk how it compares to Rutgers but that was my experience with NYU

It's 330k if you don't count housing and board. Both of which you will be paying if someone else isn't paying for it. Nothing is free. Someone takes a hit. Whether it's spouse or family. But of course the good thing is this won't have interest lol.

Rutgers

It's a no brainer

I am also wondering if I should choose Rutgers. Unlike you, I really liked my NYU interview. The students were happy and it felt good to be there. Rutgers seemed fine but people were saying things like "you will learn to like it".... the price difference tho. Does anyone know about the differences in curriculum? Why do you say curriculum in NYU is worse than in Rutgers?

320k can't include living expenses if tuition+fees+health insurance is 85k a year(340k)

Nyu pros:
-Living in the city

Nyu cons:
-168k more expensive
-worse curriculum

Rutgers pros:
-happier students
-better curriculum
-cheaper school

Rutgers cons
-bad area

I'm in the Rutgers Masters program right now and living in Newark... just wondering, what do you mean by better curriculum? I had the opportunity to take Oral Microbiology and Oral Immunology with the D1's this past spring and really disliked the new block schedule setup of courses (how you take one class at a time and it's accelerated to fit in the time frame). Granted, they changed the curriculum last year so maybe they will have the kinks figured out by next year's D1 class. I'm not sure if the curriculum is necessarily better at Rutgers versus at NYU.

As far as the Rutgers cons go, Newark is really on the rise and not as terrible of a place that people make it out to be ! The area around RDSM isn't the best, but I live downtown and walk to school regularly! I'm from Texas, where things are very different, but still feel safe walking around during the day (nighttime is a different story lol). Also they are building a Whole Foods downtown right now (it'll probably be ready by next Fall) so all the hipsters will flock to Newark soon.

For traveling to the city.... the train ride from Newark Broad Street or Newark Penn Station is only 20 minutes to get to NY Penn, not to mention the PATH runs regularly, so even if you decide to go to Rutgers you won't be too far from your friends :)

Personally I didn't apply to Rutgers and am waiting to get off the waitlist at NYU. I think everyone is going to feel differently so I would try to get in contact with some students and maybe compare their experiences? Good luck with your decision!

As far as the Rutgers cons go, Newark is really on the rise and not as terrible of a place that people make it out to be ! The area around RDSM isn't the best, but I live downtown and walk to school regularly! I'm from Texas, where things are very different, but still feel safe walking around during the day (nighttime is a different story lol). Also they are building a Whole Foods downtown right now (it'll probably be ready by next Fall) so all the hipsters will flock to Newark soon.

For traveling to the city.... the train ride from Newark Broad Street or Newark Penn Station is only 20 minutes to get to NY Penn, not to mention the PATH runs regularly, so even if you decide to go to Rutgers you won't be too far from your friends :)

What do you mean? Its on the rise? I don't think its getting any better. I also go to school in Newark and walk around alone frequently. We often get emails of robbings. Also a student was followed back to their room last year and shot. I think NYC is definitely safer, at least at night time for sure.

My parents are trying to convince me that being close to family/friends is more important than the price of my education.
LOL...you're not traveling across the country to go to Rutgers. Rutgers is literally 12 miles away from NYU. Your family can't wait an additional 15 mins for you to visit them? Are you taking care of your parents or something? What's the deal?

I feel it was justified for me to choose a private school over a state school, but I also decided I was willing to sacrifice my financial ability to support a family while I am still young. If family is so important to you, wouldn't you want to minimize your educational debt so you could comfortably start your own at a normal age?

Rutgers seemed fine but people were saying things like "you will learn to like it".... the price difference tho
I would take it as a virtue that the Rutgers students were willing to be honest with you. NYU does has some great things to offer, but their admissions office isn't going to let you meet the dozens (likely 100+) of disgruntled students when you visit.

Reactions: 4 users
What do you mean? Its on the rise? I don't think its getting any better. I also go to school in Newark and walk around alone frequently. We often get emails of robbings. Also a student was followed back to their room last year and shot. I think NYC is definitely safer, at least at night time for sure.

I'm not saying Newark is crime free, but you can ask anyone who's lived in Newark for a while and they'll tell you it's changing. The Prudential Center, Nike, Starbucks, Whole Foods, Jimmy Johns, Halal Guys, Qdoba, and other small businesses that are opening/have opened within the past year attest to that. The student that was killed was an NJIT student, who was followed back to their frat house and shot during a robbery at 3 am. Rutgers Dental Students can live at 15 Washington Street or 180 W Market, and there's never been a robbery at either of those places. Walking around at night is a different story, my friends and I never walk around past 12 am. I guess everyone will have their own opinion but walk around Broad Street and I guarantee you'll see a much different Newark than what's on Bergen Street.

I'm not saying Newark is crime free, but you can ask anyone who's lived in Newark for a while and they'll tell you it's changing. The Prudential Center, Nike, Starbucks, Whole Foods, Jimmy Johns, Halal Guys, Qdoba, and other small businesses that are opening/have opened within the past year attest to that. The student that was killed was an NJIT student, who was followed back to their frat house and shot during a robbery at 3 am. Rutgers Dental Students can live at 15 Washington Street or 180 W Market, and there's never been a robbery at either of those places. Walking around at night is a different story, my friends and I never walk around past 12 am. I guess everyone will have their own opinion but walk around Broad Street and I guarantee you'll see a much different Newark than what's on Bergen Street.
What about the Rutgers UG student who was stabbed in the library? I don't think because your a few blocks away from one street it makes it any safer honestly. Although I would choose Rutgers over NYU eventhough I think NYC is safer.

I don't know why people talk about the area around Rutgers like its Somalia. Why don't you email some of the Rutgers ambassadors and ask how many students have been stabbed so far.

320k can't include living expenses if tuition+fees+health insurance is 85k a year(340k)
To be exact it's 82.5 a year if you decline the optional health insurance and tuition is actually 72k after tuition expenses and fees it comes up to 82.5

To be exact it's 82.5 a year if you decline the optional health insurance and tuition is actually 72k after tuition expenses and fees it comes up to 82.5

Nyu does a big tuition hike every year. Much higher than Rutgers.

I
I don't know why people talk about the area around Rutgers like its Somalia. Why don't you email some of the Rutgers ambassadors and ask how many students have been stabbed so far.
I don't mean to make it sound like its so life threatening. You can't deny that NYC is a better area though.

I

I don't mean to make it sound like its so life threatening. You can't deny that NYC is a better area though.

It is a better neighborhood in NYC no doubt. However There are some areas like Harlem in NYC you want to avoid just like there are places in Newark to avoid.

But let's be real here, we are in dental school, we won't have time to go around loitering. Most of us are going to be stuck in school most of the day.

It is a better neighborhood in NYC no doubt. However There are some areas like Harlem in NYC you want to avoid just like there are places in Newark to avoid.

But let's be real here, we are in dental school, we won't have time to go around loitering. Most of us are going to be stuck in school most of the day.

That's true we won't have time to walk around Newark. I'm also sure the housing that is right across the street from the dental school is very safe. However, I would argue that there are pretty much no areas in Newark where I feel safe at night time.

If I had the fortune of going to Rutgers I'd pick it. You save a ton of money and it's a great program. That being said, I'd be grateful to get into NYU off the waitlist right now

If I had the fortune of going to Rutgers I'd pick it. You save a ton of money and it's a great program. That being said, I'd be grateful to get into NYU off the waitlist right now
Going to decline my acceptance at NYU, so hopefully that helps.

Nyu does a big tuition hike every year. Much higher than Rutgers.
Possibly, I didn't check the previous years. but Rutgers is a great program and if your in state then it's worth attending if your out of state then I would advise wherever u feel would be a better fit

This is looking to be a very tough decision for me. My parents are telling me to not worry about the money as they would financially support me at least a little throughout the way. If money wasn't a factor which school would you go to? Also what is the specialization rate at both schools?

NYU has 375 enrollees with 15-20 more internationals for a total of close to 400 students.

Rutgers has 90 enrollees with about 27 for a total of 117 applicants.

Which one do you think will be easier to stand out from?

They will need to support you ALOT throughout the way to make it even. 168k before tuition hikes and interest is 3 years worth of salary for the average american before taxes.

This is looking to be a very tough decision for me. My parents are telling me to not worry about the money as they would financially support me at least a little throughout the way. If money wasn't a factor which school would you go to? Also what is the specialization rate at both schools?

Thats what my mom said, before she lost her job of 10 years and deiced to go back to school. :dead:

Thankfully decided to decline NYU and not expect any help because life happens sometimes. Your parents just want their kid to be closer to home, thats expected. But you're literally right across the bridge. Besides Stony Brook/NYU, you couldn't be any more closer to home with Rutgers. You get to dabble with being independent for the first time, and still have the opportunity to come home on weekends by train/car while saving a 100k. Its scary, but thats an exciting venture.

Regarding specialization, don't even worry about it. You'l be well over half a million dollars in debt after NYU with a 2-3 year residency period as that interest builds up.

I wish I could be more positive about your situation. You would come out of your Newark apartment and see NYC right over the hudson. In terms of "worst" case scenarios, it doesn't get any better than that in terms of being close to home. If you really think you future self would appreciate +100k more expense, for a 30-45 min shorter commute home on weekends(which I promise you, you will rarely make regardless of the school), then pick NYU.

If your parents really want to help, have them help you buy a condo in Newark. Own some property, maybe even get a duplex and rent out out a floor.

You guys are probably right on this one. Taking the cheapest route seems to be the move. Its just tough convincing my stubborn parents

Harlem is safe now. Actually, many people are moving to Harlem now because it is cheaper and it is no longer as dangerous as it was before.

You guys are probably right on this one. Taking the cheapest route seems to be the move. Its just tough convincing my stubborn parents

It's your choice in the end. You have to choose what feels right to you, not us, not your friends, not your parents. You and only you can choose the right thing.
Best of luck!

Pretty insignificant but does rutgers cost of attendence include having a car/do we need a car? Going to the supermarket once a week is a neccesity and perhaps even the gym once in a while. Im leaning towards rutgers as of now

my parents trust larger and better school names more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sadly, foreign employers probably gonna do that too. If you are not planning to practice outside of US, then choose the cheaper one in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NYU is ranked 37 and Rutgers is ranked 70 in the nation in the top universities. You are talking as if Rutgers is a no-name school. Your parents I'm assuming have no idea what some of the top universities are. Rutgers is a big ten school and New Jerseys state school and is widely known.

Also working In a foreign country requires the foreign country to accept your US dental degree. Most make you take some kind of licensure exam and you need a work permit. I highly doubt they are going to start looking at where you got your degree. You have no idea what you are talking about @DrSdreen

NYU is ranked 37 and Rutgers is ranked 70 in the nation in the top universities. You are talking as if Rutgers is a no-name school. Your parents I'm assuming have no idea what some of the top universities are. Rutgers is a big ten school and New Jerseys state school and is widely known.

Also working In a foreign country requires the foreign country to accept your US dental degree. Most make you take some kind of licensure exam and you need a work permit. I highly doubt they are going to start looking at where you got your degree. You have no idea what you are talking about @DrSdreen

Lol, people from the country I am originally from still pay attention to school names. NYU is famous and Rutgers is not in my country... Sorry for telling the truth.

But as I think of it, I agree as long as the license and work authorization are valid, there won't be a problem of finding a job.

Apologize if I have offended anyone.

Last edited:
Lol, people from my country I am originally from still pay attention to school names. NYU is famous and Rutgers is not in my country... Sorry for telling the truth.

Is Rice University famous there? How about Emory Univeristy? Hmm let's try Case Western and Northwestern? How about those?

Is Rice University famous there? How about Emory Univeristy? Hmm let's try Case Western and Northwestern? How about those?

I see your point. It's hard for me to say if they are famous among all people, but I would answer yes based on my own answer and the answers from ten international students around me...

Then for your thread I would choose Case Western because its ranked above NYU and ranked above both way VCU and Minnesota. Since rankings are all that matter to you.

Harlem is safe now. Actually, many people are moving to Harlem now because it is cheaper and it is no longer as dangerous as it was before.

I second this. I have a group of friends who are music students at Juilliard who live in Harlem. I visited several times this fall and never felt unsafe, even wandering around to find food at 1 in the morning. Speaking of which, Harlem has some seriously awesome food. I tried a Halal place that was fantastic, and there is a taco truck (I forget what street) that was great. Kind of a side rant, but worth mentioning bc I would definitely live in Harlem. Still not the best place ever obviously, but safe enough IMO.

Last edited:
I got mugged there 2 years ago by some big black dude on 148th street midday. No-one helped and everyone just walked by pretending nothing is happening.

Then for your thread I would choose Case Western because its ranked above NYU and ranked above both way VCU and Minnesota. Since rankings are all that matter.

Sorry, but I never said that rankings are all that matter. If I choose purely based on rankings, I would not be in the dilemma right now. I am still deciding based on all the factors of the program, how much it costs and its neighborhood. Thanks though!

Also, sorry if I am being opinionated. I did not intend to get into this.

Pretty insignificant but does rutgers cost of attendence include having a car/do we need a car? Going to the supermarket once a week is a neccesity and perhaps even the gym once in a while. Im leaning towards rutgers as of now

I don't have a car! There's a new Shoprite that was built within walking distance of RSDM and 180 W Market Street, that's generally where students get their groceries. And the Whole Foods will be opening soon but that's about a 20 min walk/10 min bus ride. The bus (Campus Connect) is a Rutgers shuttle and stops throughout Newark. It's pretty reliable! There's also a Trader Joes in Clifton that is a $10 Uber ride away.

I don't have a car! There's a new Shoprite that was built within walking distance of RSDM and 180 W Market Street, that's generally where students get their groceries. And the Whole Foods will be opening soon but that's about a 20 min walk/10 min bus ride. The bus (Campus Connect) is a Rutgers shuttle and stops throughout Newark. It's pretty reliable! There's also a Trader Joes in Clifton that is a $10 Uber ride away.
How far is the walk to shoprite? And is there a gym close by? Where do you live btw