NYU vs Rutgers (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYU or Rutgers?

• Total voters

JBFutureDMD

Reaction score
Title: NYU vs. Rutgers (IS)

School 1: NYU

Pros:
  • Love the location, have always wanted to live in NYC for an extended period of time
  • Strong clinical education
  • Has all specialty programs in-house (I am very interested in either ortho or OMFS, but still would be happy with GP)
  • Patient population is very diverse and high-need
  • Opportunity to work in a private practice-like clinic in Brooklyn during D4 year
  • Largest class size in U.S. dental school
  • More up-to-date in terms of modernization of dental education (CAD/CAM, digital dentistry, etc.)
Cons:
  • Cost of living in NYC is very high
  • Cost of program is among the highest in the nation (~$135,000/yr including all personal expenses)
School 2: Rutgers (in-state)

Pros:
  • Location: close to home & family for easy access to a support system
  • Super strong clinical education (most clinical requirements of any U.S. dental school)
  • Patient population is very high-need (Newark, NJ)
  • Price (~$95,000/yr including all personal expenses)
Cons:
  • Location: Newark isn't a super safe place, so if I were to go there I'd likely live in a nearby town/city and would need a car to commute.
  • Average class size (can be a pro or a con, but having a larger class size offers much more networking opportunities)
Summary: I am having a very tough time deciding which would be best for me. On the one hand, I understand the financial repercussions of enrolling in a program like NYU versus a less financially taxing program like Rutgers, but having the chance to live in NYC is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing as I don't expect to have any other reason to live there again. NYU is also still close enough that coming home to my family isn't too bad at all (NJ Transit from Penn Station is pretty easy).

I am more interested in hearing from you all about what kind of education I can receive from either program, as well as which program might open more doors for specialization if I do decide to go that route. I know both schools are clinically strong, which makes deciding based on that a little difficult.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I'd love to hear any and every answer you'd be able to give!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Rutgers all the way, nyu is too expensive to be worth it. I think it’s closer to 150k a year. It’s almost 3k a month just to live in NYC.

Even with 95k a year that’s still 40-60k less a YEAR compared to NYU.

You can specialize at any school so that shouldn’t matter too much. If you can get lower tuition being IS at Rutgers I would do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Title: NYU vs. Rutgers (IS)

School 1: NYU

Pros:
  • Love the location, have always wanted to live in NYC for an extended period of time
  • Strong clinical education
  • Has all specialty programs in-house (I am very interested in either ortho or OMFS, but still would be happy with GP)
  • Patient population is very diverse and high-need
  • Opportunity to work in a private practice-like clinic in Brooklyn during D4 year
  • Largest class size in U.S. dental school
  • More up-to-date in terms of modernization of dental education (CAD/CAM, digital dentistry, etc.)
Cons:
  • Cost of living in NYC is very high
  • Cost of program is among the highest in the nation (~$135,000/yr including all personal expenses)
School 2: Rutgers (in-state)

Pros:
  • Location: close to home & family for easy access to a support system
  • Super strong clinical education (most clinical requirements of any U.S. dental school)
  • Patient population is very high-need (Newark, NJ)
  • Price (~$95,000/yr including all personal expenses)
Cons:
  • Location: Newark isn't a super safe place, so if I were to go there I'd likely live in a nearby town/city and would need a car to commute.
  • Average class size (can be a pro or a con, but having a larger class size offers much more networking opportunities)
Summary: I am having a very tough time deciding which would be best for me. On the one hand, I understand the financial repercussions of enrolling in a program like NYU versus a less financially taxing program like Rutgers, but having the chance to live in NYC is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing as I don't expect to have any other reason to live there again. NYU is also still close enough that coming home to my family isn't too bad at all (NJ Transit from Penn Station is pretty easy).

I am more interested in hearing from you all about what kind of education I can receive from either program, as well as which program might open more doors for specialization if I do decide to go that route. I know both schools are clinically strong, which makes deciding based on that a little difficult.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I'd love to hear any and every answer you'd be able to give!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT choose NYU...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta be joking asking this. I feel a bit offended actually as a Rutgers grad...:shifty:. You are a NJ resident and you KNOW what's the better option here.

1. You do NOT want a large class size because you'll be fighting for chairs in the clinic. At Rutgers you'll have plenty of patients and won't have problem finishing your requirements. When I was at RU my class was roughly 85-90 students. I know for a fact that our requirements are much more than NYU( I have a few friends that graduated from NYU and none of them ever advised anyone to go to their school unless its the only school you got accepted to).

2. We are one stop away from Penn station so you can visit NYC anytime you want. It takes 10 mins to get there. Why would you want to live in NYC? it's super expensive and the most affordable apartments will be 30-60 mins by train. That sucks...

3. You can absolutely specialize from RU. If NYU was P/F then you may have an argument there but both schools have graded system. Heck I heard now RU is planning on making some of their dental lab classes (operative, etc) to P/F.

But wow tuition is at RU is expensive now too. When I started in 2014 my COA is like less than $250k for all 4 years..

Reactions: 5 users
You gotta be joking asking this. I feel a bit offended actually as a Rutgers grad...:shifty:. You are a NJ resident and you KNOW what's the better option here.

1. You do NOT want a large class size because you'll be fighting for chairs in the clinic. At Rutgers you'll have plenty of patients and won't have problem finishing your requirements. When I was at RU my class was roughly 85-90 students. I know for a fact that our requirements are much more than NYU( I have a few friends that graduated from NYU and none of them ever advised anyone to go to their school unless its the only school you got accepted to).

2. We are one stop away from Penn station so you can visit NYC anytime you want. It takes 10 mins to get there. Why would you want to live in NYC? it's super expensive and the most affordable apartments will be 30-60 mins by train. That sucks...

3. You can absolutely specialize from RU. If NYU was P/F then you may have an argument there but both schools have graded system. Heck I heard now RU is planning on making some of their dental lab classes (operative, etc) to P/F.

But wow tuition is at RU is expensive now too. When I started in 2014 my COA is like less than $250k for all 4 years..
I really appreciate it!! I think a part of me is just so stuck on the idea of living in NYC but I just know it's not worth spending an extra 200-250k just to live there for a few years.

Also, it's good to hear about high specialty rates at Rutgers because that's absolutely something that I am seriously considering and need to keep that door wide open. I guess by the time I graduate I'll thank myself for choosing a school like Rutgers over NYU for both financial and clinical competency reasons.

Appreciate the response!!

Reactions: 1 user
But there’s no way you could live right smack in the middle of Newark and walk to school and split the house for 4 years with your classmates and have the time of your life, and save hundreds of thousands of dollars, and match to your favorite OMS program, and be class president, and make the best friends of your life, and be able to visit NYC any weekend you wanted with a short train ride from the station on your block, and go running every morning in one of the most beautiful parks in the state every day with hundreds of cherry blossoms, and be able to finish all your requirements early because there are tons of patients!!!!!

👆 This is sarcasm. I did all of those at Rutgers. Don’t be an idiot. Tell NYU to go rip off some other predent who is dumber than you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users