Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Rutgers or USP?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by whereshouldigo, Apr 12, 2007.

1. whereshouldigo

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm a high school senior, and I got into both Rutgers and USP, but have no clue which one to go to. Any advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    USP seems to be easier than rutgers in the "weeding out" process. A LOT of 1st and 2nd years from the 0+6 program fail out of the pharm school at rutgers... My PI is a pharm professor and thats what she tells me - plus I know many fellow rutgers students that were former pharmacy students so I think USP would be better. But the social life is at rutgers since its such a huge school... 4 different campuses in new brunswick, I loved it here - but I'm def not a fan of the pharm school.

4. Nezutora

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yea, I've heard the same from a couple of friends who were in the Rutgers program, that the weed out is pretty tough. I don't know much about USP though.

5. Aex005

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    go to rutgers, save some $$$$!

6. whereshouldigo

Pre-Pharmacy
    but the saving money thing wouldn't really work if I dropped out now would it?

7. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you should visit both schools and see if you like the environment. Philly is very different from new brunswick. I believe that with USP you have to maintain a lower GPA throughout the semester, i'm not sure if thats changed, but Rutgers has recently increased it -- look on the website, you should find it - I have a friend that get deans list for all her first and 2nd year, she's in her 3rd year and is struggling a little. Rutgers pharm is definitely tough -- their problem is that they admit more people than they can graduate so they do weed out a lot of people - i guess they want the best students. I dont think USP is as crazy with the weeding out process.

8. RJH2

Pharmacy Student
    This is from USP site.

Our intensive Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program is built upon a strong foundation in the physical, biological, chemical, and social sciences, and the liberal arts.

After completing all required courses at USP with a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.70 or greater and a cumulative natural science/math G.P.A. of 2.30 or greater, you will progress to the first professional year (third year) of the curriculum.

Guess if you study enough, you will go to third year.:)

9. Aex005

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I believe that the program at Rutgers is not that difficult during the first 2 years at least (where i am up to). If you have a passion to study the field, you will do fine. I only know of 1 student who has dropped out so far and he was just really lazy. If you plan on working in NJ the vast majority of pharmacists i have ever worked with are Rutgers grads... secondly i noticed visiting USP that a large number of their teachers are actually Rutgers Pharmacy grads as well.....

10. themorphinerule

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know people from Rutgers SOP and USP. I've heard from my friend at USP that they are constantly trying to weed people out- not sure how true it is, but that's what she said. On the other hand I personally know total meatheads who are Rutgers SOP Alum and current professional phase students- so take that any way you wish. I have heard that once you make it to professional phase, USP is committed to graduating you.