SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Rutgers or USP?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by whereshouldigo, Apr 12, 2007.

1. whereshouldigo

whereshouldigo

Apr 12, 2007
    I'm a high school senior, and I got into both Rutgers and USP, but have no clue which one to go to. Any advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012! 7+ Year Member

May 21, 2006
    USP seems to be easier than rutgers in the "weeding out" process. A LOT of 1st and 2nd years from the 0+6 program fail out of the pharm school at rutgers... My PI is a pharm professor and thats what she tells me - plus I know many fellow rutgers students that were former pharmacy students so I think USP would be better. But the social life is at rutgers since its such a huge school... 4 different campuses in new brunswick, I loved it here - but I'm def not a fan of the pharm school.

4. Nezutora

Nezutora 7+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea, I've heard the same from a couple of friends who were in the Rutgers program, that the weed out is pretty tough. I don't know much about USP though.

5. Aex005

Aex005 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    go to rutgers, save some $$$$!

6. whereshouldigo

whereshouldigo

Apr 12, 2007
    but the saving money thing wouldn't really work if I dropped out now would it?

7. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012! 7+ Year Member

May 21, 2006
    I think you should visit both schools and see if you like the environment. Philly is very different from new brunswick. I believe that with USP you have to maintain a lower GPA throughout the semester, i'm not sure if thats changed, but Rutgers has recently increased it -- look on the website, you should find it - I have a friend that get deans list for all her first and 2nd year, she's in her 3rd year and is struggling a little. Rutgers pharm is definitely tough -- their problem is that they admit more people than they can graduate so they do weed out a lot of people - i guess they want the best students. I dont think USP is as crazy with the weeding out process.

8. RJH2

RJH2

Apr 13, 2007
    This is from USP site.

Our intensive Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program is built upon a strong foundation in the physical, biological, chemical, and social sciences, and the liberal arts.

After completing all required courses at USP with a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.70 or greater and a cumulative natural science/math G.P.A. of 2.30 or greater, you will progress to the first professional year (third year) of the curriculum.

Guess if you study enough, you will go to third year.:)

9. Aex005

Aex005 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I believe that the program at Rutgers is not that difficult during the first 2 years at least (where i am up to). If you have a passion to study the field, you will do fine. I only know of 1 student who has dropped out so far and he was just really lazy. If you plan on working in NJ the vast majority of pharmacists i have ever worked with are Rutgers grads... secondly i noticed visiting USP that a large number of their teachers are actually Rutgers Pharmacy grads as well.....

10. themorphinerule

themorphinerule 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2007
    I know people from Rutgers SOP and USP. I've heard from my friend at USP that they are constantly trying to weed people out- not sure how true it is, but that's what she said. On the other hand I personally know total meatheads who are Rutgers SOP Alum and current professional phase students- so take that any way you wish. I have heard that once you make it to professional phase, USP is committed to graduating you.