Rutger's Post-Bacc!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcg179

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been persusing this site for some time and have just recently decided to join. Such a warm feeling to see a community that shares the same passion for healthcare. As a non-traditional student who will be beginning the long journey of getting into medical school, I thought I would introudce myself and hopefully contribute to this forum.

Brief Bio:

Graduated from Penn State, University Park 2002: B.S. Accounting
g.p.a. : 2.56 (Significant health problems, family crisis) (Honor student in HS with numerous A.P. classes. Not lacking the academic ability, although numbers don't show it!!)

Enrolled in General Chem I/II/Lab beginning June 1st. at Rutgers.
Will have my interview for the Post Bacc Certificate Program this Friday!

Financial Analyst with KPMG and Accenture since 2002

EMT-B/D, Volunteer with Big Brother Big Sisters, and numerous other volunteer experience in hospitals and schools.

I suppose the plan is this: Rock the post-bacc, rock the MCAT in April '05 and then receive an acceptance letter from a DO school (First choice between PCOM and UNECOM).

If anyone would like to make any comments, share any stories, or merely open up a dialogue with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

To everyone else, best of luck!!

-J

Members don't see this ad.

Hey JCG,
Welcome to the forum! You seem to have alot of outside experience, which will go along way for you in the end. Are you solely pursuing an osteopathic medical education or allopathic as well? Either way, best wishes to you.

Cheers,
Captain Monkey

Since I already submitted my letter of resignation, effective May 28th, I suppose i have time to reply. (Yes, it certainly is like Office Space in here).

To answer your question Captain, yes, I am primarily interested in Osteopathy. It seems that of all the physicians I have met, the DO's and myself seem to share the same kind of personality. This may be a generalized over statement, but I felt that most of the DOs that I encountered seem to be a little bit more outgoing and certainly with a better sense of humor. Now my exposure may be limited, but it was enough to turn me own to do initial research in Osteopathy.

Another reason, is that I am little bit more confident that I have a good shot at an acceptance from a DO school as opposed to an MD school with my sub-standard undergraduate perfomance (despite my intentions of having a stellar post-bacc) Of course, this may change when I see the scores on my MCAT in conjunction with the Post-Bacc.

As for now, my focus is one day at a time. I am going to make Gen Chem I/II/Lab this summer my *&^%$!!!

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
JCG: Cool stuff. What rutgers campus are you taking the chem classes at? Depending on which campus maybe I can be of some assistance (I'm currently a rutgers student). Also you might want to pick up Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress. Good book that really explains the entity of osteopathic medicine well, and not all that boring/long. Are you into the sciences, coming from a non science background? Also have you completed any of the necessary courses (Calc, Chem, Orgo, Physics, Bio) previously? You seem well grounded and its a very good thing to take everything a step at a time, especially with the amount of work you have left to complete. :) Just as you said though, if you keep focussed and work your tail off you can definantly make your dream a reality, and I wish you all the best of luck.

bgreet,

Thanks for the info! Gen Chem I/II/Lab will be at the Newark Campus. The remainder of the Post-Bacc Program will be at the New Brunswick location. Actually, I do have a strong science background. I started off as an engineer and moved to mathematics. Science has always been my interest and passion, but alas, numerous outside factors pushed me in the direction of studying business. I had lost my ROTC scholarship do to a debiliating disease, which in turn affected my academics. This is the big hurdle that I am looking to get over with the post bacc and application process.

I will most certainly check out the book!!

Thanks,
-J

JCG actually Newark is the campus that I attend. :) Give me an im at gibnz908 and I can describe just what you can expect from Kluiber the old lab professor to Sheridan or Chaffee the professors you will have for lecture.

Thanks!

Just added you to the buddy list. Mine is jcgruda. I am sure that I will be having sheridan for GenChem I :) (I spoke to him to find out what text we will be using) I have been hitting up the chem section in the Kaplan Review book to get both a review of chem and start reviewing for the test in April.

I really don't want to go into the office in the morning. One more month to go!