Rutgers SMP Fall 2022 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WDR97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m planning on going to Rutgers Newark or New Brunswick (most likely Newark) and pursuing the SMP MBS/MS. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this program in terms of how it’s graded and general rigor of the program. I know it’s for medical school prep and will be difficult but I was wondering if I would have any free time to continue volunteering and working part time. I went to Rutgers for part of my undergrad and it went on a strange scale of no A- but with some courses (like physics) where you are graded against the class. I ended up with a 92 but was given a B in the class, which is bologna. Would this be so in this program? And if so, would I be graded against others in the program or also medical students if I’m put into an M1 type course. I want to do very well and don’t mind spending all my time studying but would like to know before the program starts.I haven’t had any luck finding a syllabus or grading scale online.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I’m planning on going to Rutgers Newark or New Brunswick (most likely Newark) and pursuing the SMP MBS/MS. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this program in terms of how it’s graded and general rigor of the program. I know it’s for medical school prep and will be difficult but I was wondering if I would have any free time to continue volunteering and working part time. I went to Rutgers for part of my undergrad and it went on a strange scale of no A- but with some courses (like physics) where you are graded against the class. I ended up with a 92 but was given a B in the class, which is bologna. Would this be so in this program? And if so, would I be graded against others in the program or also medical students if I’m put into an M1 type course. I want to do very well and don’t mind spending all my time studying but would like to know before the program starts.I haven’t had any luck finding a syllabus or grading scale online.
Thanks.
I enjoyed the academic content of the SMP at RWJ, but felt that the program was a bit lacking in terms of guidance and professional development. It was very hard to get advising face time. I also believe the grading curve was a bit too generous. I worked my butt off to try to get those 90%+ raw scores, only to find that the A cutoffs were dropped to like 80% at the end of the semester. This could be a plus if you have concerns about your ability to excel in a grad program, however.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the academic content of the SMP at RWJ, but felt that the program was a bit lacking in terms of guidance and professional development. It was very hard to get advising face time. I also believe the grading curve was a bit too generous. I worked my butt off to try to get those 90%+ raw scores, only to find that the A cutoffs were dropped to like 80% at the end of the semester. This could be a plus if you have concerns about your ability to excel in a grad program, however.

Also, RWJ has a uGPA cutoff for the linking program (which was my fault for not checking), so I would definitely have picked a different program in retrospect. The linking program at Newark does not have this same uGPA requirement. Here's hoping my completing the program will lead to an interview somewhere . . .
I just want to get that advanced interview and do better than everyone else (Im a Terrified non traditional student and not smarter than anyone but I just found out I have ADHD which has messed up my life for the past 23 1/2 years including my undergrad.
). Everything I’ve seen, if you don’t have a bad UGPA under 3.0 and red flag of crime/accidents you should be perfect for DO/MD’s in your state. And even after that, you should be a med school student within this cycle if you did well in your SMP. Please let me know how it goes cuz I plan on going to RU Newark or New Brunswick next fall. I think you should get into some school though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.
Which school did you end up going? If you went to Rutgers, do you mind telling how you think at this point?

Also, RWJ has a uGPA cutoff for the linking program (which was my fault for not checking), so I would definitely have picked a different program in retrospect. The linking program at Newark does not have this same uGPA requirement. Here's hoping my completing the program will lead to an interview somewhere . . .

From what I read, linking to Newark is only based on your MCAT and SMP GPA (3.6+), not your undergrad. All I could find that is advertised. Hopefully that is correct, as I already applied with a sub 3.0 ugGPA, but have a solid upward trend.

From what I read, linking to Newark is only based on your MCAT and SMP GPA (3.6+), not your undergrad. All I could find that is advertised. Hopefully that is correct, as I already applied with a sub 3.0 ugGPA, but have a solid upward trend.
Correct

Current student in the Rutgers MBS program in New Brunswick! Let me know any questions you may have regarding the program!

Current student in the Rutgers MBS program in New Brunswick! Let me know any questions you may have regarding the program!
Hey there! I’m really interested in the program. Do you think you have time for a part time job, etc, or is it a full time focus? And are the classes fully in person? :)

Hi! You def have time for a part-time job although many advisors do not recommend it especially if you are taking a full course load. This program is really designed for you to be able to ace classes at your own pace and do well in them. Lecture classes are recorded and it is not required for you to attend in person even though going in person is really helpful. Some people I know in the program live about 1-1.5 hours away and do not attend lectures but watch the recorded lecture and have done really well in the class. I personally did not take a full course load of classes only because I wanted to work.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! You def have time for a part-time job although many advisors do not recommend it especially if you are taking a full course load. This program is really designed for you to be able to ace classes at your own pace and do well in them. Lecture classes are recorded and it is not required for you to attend in person even though going in person is really helpful. Some people I know in the program live about 1-1.5 hours away and do not attend lectures but watch the recorded lecture and have done really well in the class. I personally did not take a full course load of classes only because I wanted to work.
Those are definitely great things ! I will live about 40 min away so it’s doable. How many days a week do most students go to classes? Like, is each class scheduled twice a week ? I’m graduating this semester from undergrad with about a 3.45 gpa, sgpa 3.12, and moving to NJ to be near family while I take my next steps. So I want to look into it more! Have you taken the MCAT yet? I was thinking of taking it a few months after the SMP if I end up doing it.

Do you think this program is helpful to prepare/apply for medical school afterwards? How are the faculty and advisors?

Those are definitely great things ! I will live about 40 min away so it’s doable. How many days a week do most students go to classes? Like, is each class scheduled twice a week ? I’m graduating this semester from undergrad with about a 3.45 gpa, sgpa 3.12, and moving to NJ to be near family while I take my next steps. So I want to look into it more! Have you taken the MCAT yet? I was thinking of taking it a few months after the SMP if I end up doing it.
From what Goro and past members have reiterated they recommend taking the MCAT before or after the SMP but usually never during it. Maybe you can fit in a studying schedule during the summer since there isn't a summer semester. I'm also considering this program in the Fall.

Which school did you end up going? If you went to Rutgers, do you mind telling how you think at this point?
I will be attending the Rutgers-New Brunswick program this Fall 2022-Spring 2023 and I’ll update when I’m halfway through or have completed the program. Really excited!

I will be attending the Rutgers-New Brunswick program this Fall 2022-Spring 2023 and I’ll update when I’m halfway through or have completed the program. Really excited!
Does anyone know how many students rwjms or njms accepts from their respective SMP. The website for the rwj smp is kinda old and the success stories/alumnis all went to rwjms 8+ years ago, making it kinda irrelevant now.

How did it go?