RVU and PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stonewall22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

PNWU and RVU are two of the schools I'm considering. There are pros and cons to both. For those that have interviewed at both, I'm curious as to what you think of the two schools in comparison to each other. I have my ideas, but curious about yours. Here are some of mine.

-PNWU is cheaper, federal loans
-PNUW no "controversy"
-RVU's facilities were MUCH nicer, PNWU was a little cramped, and not nearly as nice
-The faculty at RVU appear to be more experienced
-Earlier clinical contact at RVU
-More confirmed clinical sites and more residencies in the mix at RVU
-I personally don't see any problem with for-profit, but some do, so RVU has the potential to leave that stigma with me...potentially make PDs less likely to rank me?
-Yakima is cheaper
-Smaller class at PNWU, but admin appeared to know students well at both schools

Anyone else's thoughts/comments?

Edit: I'm sure a great education could be received from either.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

PNWU and RVU are two of the schools I'm considering. There are pros and cons to both. For those that have interviewed at both, I'm curious as to what you think of the two schools in comparison to each other. I have my ideas, but curious about yours. Here are some of mine.

-PNUW no "controversy"
-RVU's facilities were MUCH nicer, PNWU was a little cramped, and not nearly as nice
-I personally don't see any problem with for-profit, but some do, so RVU has the potential to leave that stigma with me...potentially make PDs less likely to rank me?
-Yakima is cheaper
-Smaller class at PNWU, but admin appeared to know students well at both schools

Anyone else's thoughts/comments?

You cannot speak to the strength or depth of their clinicals until they send their first few classes through and you definitely have no idea how program directors are going to react to RVU. Personally I dont think it's worth the risk in either case.

If you have the opportunity to go to any other school besides RVU, take it.

PNWU really impressed me... Im not sure how your interview day went, but they seemed to have every bit of it together from what I could tell.

In reality though, just go with your gut.... pick the school that fits you best, not what fits everyone else better

Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot speak to the strength or depth of their clinicals until they send their first few classes through and you definitely have no idea how program directors are going to react to RVU. Personally I dont think it's worth the risk in either case.

If you have the opportunity to go to any other school besides RVU, take it.

I agree. I am not a fan of for-profit even though a lot of people argue its not big deal. Medical school shouldn't be a place to make a profit. Seems too tempting to accept more people to make the money. AUC, Ross, etc... anyone?? I'd personally (and this is just me) go to PNWU.

I interviewed at PNWU and was rejected, and I withdrew from RVU prior to secondary. I can give my opinion on PNWU, at least.

Looks like we have a winner. I'm sure you can get through RVU just fine with private loans, but why? RVU would have to be much, much, much better than PNWU to make up for the more expensive loans you'll have to take out.

-PNUW no "controversy"

True. Although, I don't see RVU's for-profit status as a huge problem. One way of looking at it is that they'll have to keep the quality of the school at a very high level to make up for the "stigma" of being for-profit.

Can't judge about RVU, but I think PNWU's facilities are more than good enough.

Not sure how I'd judge this. Experience doesn't mean they're good instructors.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. If it's glorified shadowing because you haven't learned a whole lot by first year, it might not be such a great experience. But I thought PNWU did first-year clinicals, too.

PNWU looked to have more than enough clincal sites for their students. They don't need nearly as many for their 75 students, and you're placed in one city for the final 2 years (apart from your chosen electives). And I believe they're working on setting up residencies at PNWU.

Agreed. Graduates of both schools will be DO's in the end!

Best of luck deciding!

PNWU is crammed because they just opened the school. They are still expanding.

In terms of experience PNWU's staff members come experienced med school instructors and the directors and deans have had previous experience in opening med schools and establishing residencies.

PNWU has early clinical.

I'm not sure about confirmed sites at RVU, but PNWU's problem is not about having enough sites but not having enough students to rotate at the sites to maintain them.

Hey, good post and valid points.

I think its important to go where you like the facilities. What is funny is I definitively did like PNWU's layout and struggle to see how you can get much better!

I would not worry at all about when you start having patient/clinical contact. I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is really just a gimmick. The first two years are for board preparation, period. Everything else is really just a bonus. It sounds like you care about what RDs think, and there is no better way to impress them than with a high Step I.

In the end though, I haven't interviewed at RVU, so I definitely can't say which one is better, however, I think most agree that to go to a more expensive school one would have to find some REALLY compelling reasons. It sounds like if you are even having this discussion, PNWU would be the way to go, but then again, I'm biased.

I interviewed at PNWU and was rejected, and I withdrew from RVU prior to secondary. I can give my opinion on PNWU, at least.

Best of luck deciding!

Oh, and Altruist, I can't believe you were rej! I was root'n for ya man, maybe it had something to do with OOS, but I still find that hard to believe

Do you have any other places to interview? I would not rule out other schools. I interviewed at PNWU and I am so glad that I was able to interview and see other places. However, if its has to be PNWU or RVU then I would pick PNWU becasue of the cost and federal loans... either place will get you a medical education and honestly... it will only be two years on the campus so the facilities don't come into play over cost/financing options in my opinion. If you love the NW then choose PNWU and pray that they get a second class room ;)

I don't interview at PNWU until the middle of January, but I interviewed at RVU last month. Here's my two cents:

The "for-profit" label: our group asked the staff, the students and Dean Martin about this. We got a bunch of different answers, but they lead us to the same conclusion: "This is the only way that the school could be built and funded." Colorado already has a state med school in Denver, a public school was out of the question. So, the school was always going to be private. The school's investor(s) see the school as just that, an investment. Because the investors expect to recoup their investment over a period of decades, the school was created as a "for profit" entity. So, what's that mean? Well, it means that tuition will always equal cost per student. That includes materials, overhead, staff and paying off the investment. It also means that RVU has to prove itself by graduating its first class before any students can receive federal aid. Is that how Caribbean schools are run? Yes it is. Is RVU different, of course. It has provisional US accreditation. You have no extra hoops to jump through.

I don't think that RVU is a fly-by-night operation. The school looks like millions have been dumped into it already, with more planned for the coming years. It also is planning on serving a vital role in Colorado by producing family practice docs. Over the last few years, CU-Health Sciences have produced only a handful of family practice residents. There are towns in Colorado without a physician for 100-miles in any direction.

So, if rural health is your goal; if serving an undeserved area is your goal; if family medicine in Colorado is your goal; if you're just going to be a military doc; then RVU is for you. It will cost you a TON of money with private loans. But, you should be able to get into a loan forgiveness program, or consoldiate your loans into a lower interest rate after you're finished. If money is an issue, or if family practice isn't your bag, then you'd really be better off someplace else.

1. The tuition difference is 3K/year. Relatively speaking, that's nothing. Don't use that to make your decision.

2. Location. Do you like the west coast of or the rocky mountains? You'll be there for 4 years, better make sure you enjoy the place.

3. Early clinicals. Whoever thinks this is a 'gimmick' is crazy. Your profession will be a very entrusting interation with strangers. It's not easy and every bit of practice makes you that much more comfortable to do what's right in crunch time.

4. Gut feeling is more important than you think. How did you feel at each place?

I would say that where you feel the best is the key.

Though there is an SDN stigma, I wouldn't count on that translating to what you will see in the real world. As a paramedic in a large, urban, academic hospital (you can guess which one), none of my doctor mentors forsee a problem with me obtaining the residency of my choice, provided I put in the work on my end.

I took the leap of faith, if you can call it that. I throughly enjoyed my 1st semester and can't wait to see what my future holds for me.

Good luck with your decision.

How come there are no pics of PNWU facilities?

Members don't see this ad :)
RVU is run by the same people who operate carib schools...'nuff said.

RVU is run by the same people who operate carib schools...'nuff said.

I'm curious who the "same people" are. Because the Dean calls all the shots, and his office is at RVU, not at any other school.

Don't confuse funding with running. Yes, he fronted the money, but he doesn't run the school.

It's ok, really. Don't hold a grudge.

How come there are no pics of PNWU facilities?

Cause whoever runs the picture section of the PNWU website is really struggling with them there digital image-like things.

But really, the facilities are pretty good

Kindly leave this thread. Clearly, you're not totally informed, and if I am seriously considering going to RVU, probably have spent more time researching the school. So, add something constructive, or get off. I was hoping for constructive thoughts, much like most of those posted, I specifically wanted to avoid the Chicken Little RVU dance a few people seem to enjoy on SDN.

Kindly leave this thread. Clearly, you're not totally informed, and if I am seriously considering going to RVU, probably have spent more time researching the school. So, add something constructive, or get off. I was hoping for constructive thoughts, much like most of those posted, I specifically wanted to avoid the Chicken Little RVU dance a few people seem to enjoy on SDN.

I would seriously consider not going to RVU. The for profit model may not seem like a big deal on here, or to your local docs, but to program directors and academic faculty at residency programs, who have vested interests in US medical education. (who have actually heard of RVU and the controversy surrounding the school) it is a big deal. i know, because i am in the process of interviewing and have been polling program directors from time to time, what they would think of graduates from for -profit osteo schools in the states. the answer is usually "i wouldnt take them". if you have an opportunity to go to any other school then go there. if you dont, reapply, dont waste your time and $$$.

I would seriously consider not going to RVU. The for profit model may not seem like a big deal on here, or to your local docs, but to program directors and academic faculty at residency programs, who have vested interests in US medical education. (who have actually heard of RVU and the controversy surrounding the school) it is a big deal. i know, because i am in the process of interviewing and have been polling program directors from time to time, what they would think of graduates from for -profit osteo schools in the states. the answer is usually "i wouldnt take them". if you have an opportunity to go to any other school then go there. if you dont, reapply, dont waste your time and $$$.

What programs are you referring to? Just curious...since I'm one of those RVU for profit lowlifes who won't be able to secure a competative residency. I would hate to waste my time applying to a program where I won't even get looked at.

Stonewall...please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about RVU. I would be more than happy to offer my opinion.:thumbup:

What programs are you referring to? Just curious...since I'm one of those RVU for profit lowlifes who won't be able to secure a competative residency. I would hate to waste my time applying to a program where I won't even get looked at.

...a handful of east coast EM programs with DO's as program directors, and about 8 osteopathic EM programs. i prob brought up the subject more during AOA interviews.

if you think going there will affect you, it isnt as if poeple had'nt warned you prior to enrolling. from talking to random do's id say 1/10 have never heard of rvu. but after knowing that the aoa supported the opening of a for-profit school 10/10 are against it.

i just dont see why you would go to RVU if you had other choices.

...a handful of east coast EM programs with DO's as program directors, and about 8 osteopathic EM programs. i prob brought up the subject more during AOA interviews.

if you think going there will affect you, it isnt as if poeple had'nt warned you prior to enrolling. from talking to random do's id say 1/10 have never heard of rvu. but after knowing that the aoa supported the opening of a for-profit school 10/10 are against it.

i just dont see why you would go to RVU if you had other choices.

Interesting...not a single doctor that I know, MD or DO, warned me against going to RVU. I'm talking about a large, well respected teaching hospital (an allo program mind you)

The reason that I chose RVU is that I wanted to go to school in my home state. That and I trust the program.

Good luck with your future and I hope you get the residency that you desire:thumbup: You never know, maybe I can be your intern my 1st year.

Interesting...not a single doctor that I know, MD or DO, warned me against going to RVU. I'm talking about a large, well respected teaching hospital (an allo program mind you)

The reason that I chose RVU is that I wanted to go to school in my home state. That and I trust the program.

Good luck with your future and I hope you get the residency that you desire:thumbup: You never know, maybe I can be your intern my 1st year.

I have also talked to doctors from different hospitals (MDs and DOs) about RVU and they all said it's an awesome program, no reason not to go! the school seems amazing, high tech, there is no new faculty...they are all experienced, admin respects students' opinions about what works best... i am starting in august and i cannot wait! :)

I have also talked to doctors from different hospitals (MDs and DOs) about RVU and they all said it's an awesome program, no reason not to go! the school seems amazing, high tech, there is no new faculty...they are all experienced, admin respects students' opinions about what works best... i am starting in august and i cannot wait! :)

What are they basing this on? The school has been in actual operation (IE: students matriculated and taking classes) for all of 5 months. :rolleyes: