Rvu-CO vs KCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mack24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand KCU has a higher average board score, but should I be concerned about the previous posts complaining about the stress level of the program? Now I don't know if it is actually true, but I heard there was a number of people having mental breakdowns this year (maybe that is normal for Med school? I really don't know).
If anybody knows what the main differences between the schools are, specifically about the difficulty of the curriculum, average "happiness" level of the students, or which city provides a more entertaining atmosphere, I'd love your input.
Do students at either school find that they have more time to do stuff they enjoy more than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW RVU had the highest board scores out of any school last year however, RVU and KCU's curriculum is virtually identical as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It might be helpful to look at each schools match list over the past few years and see under the specialty you're considering what options grads are, at least in theory, getting. Although as I understand these lists depend a lot on the individual make up of each class
I've said it before and I'll saay it again, interpreting match lists is just premeds reading patterns in tea leaves.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What have you guys heard or know about in terms of the lifestyle or stress level comparisons between the schools? (I know it's going to be stressful either way, just looking for a comparison)

What have you guys heard or know about in terms of the lifestyle or stress level comparisons between the schools? (I know it's going to be stressful either way, just looking for a comparison)

The schools operate with a very similar curriculum. The "lifestyle" differences are minimal and would be more out of Colorado vs. Kansas City and not between the actual schools.

I can't speak to RVU but from everything I've heard from family members who have attended KCU versus those who have gone to a school like Des Moines, KCU is definitely on the more stressful end of the spectrum but it does a good job of preparing for boards and is by most measures manageable. They were able to have lives and children and still get good rotations and good enough board scores to get into "competitive" ACGME residencies.

How old are these family members who went to KCUMB? I mean, unless they're actively in KCUMB right now they learned from a different curriculum than the school is doing so their opinion is invalid. I'm curious though.

with maintaining anonymity, ill say some within the last 3-6 years and one within the last year

Ahh. Current KCUMB is doing some variant of the dubin curriculum (same as RVU) right now, although the 4th years I meet on the interview trail tell me that KCUMB might not stick with it. It's an intense curriculum.

Are you a current RVU student? On RVU's website they have a "student spotlight" where students say how they enjoy their experiences at RVU. It seems that everyone is always saying that they are going rock climbing or some other activity frequently. Is that true? The students I talked to at KCU seemed to say they didn't have time to take away from studying for that stuff.

Are you a current RVU student? On RVU's website they have a "student spotlight" where students say how they enjoy their experiences at RVU. It seems that everyone is always saying that they are going rock climbing or some other activity frequently. Is that true? The students I talked to at KCU seemed to say they didn't have time to take away from studying for that stuff.

I don't know about ALWAYS going rock climbing, but lots of people do it at least sometimes. But it really depends on what kind of student you are. If you want to be a serious, competitive student you basically have time to be seriously into one thing outside of school- rock climbing, music, cooking super intricate meals, your pick. Of course if you have family that becomes your one thing by default. Or you could be halfway into two things. You get the idea. Anyway, you could also be a less serious student and have more free time but you should really carefully think it through before deciding to do that.

Fourth year is an entirely different story of course.

I don't know about ALWAYS going rock climbing, but lots of people do it at least sometimes. But it really depends on what kind of student you are. If you want to be a serious, competitive student you basically have time to be seriously into one thing outside of school- rock climbing, music, cooking super intricate meals, your pick. Of course if you have family that becomes your one thing by default. Or you could be halfway into two things. You get the idea. Anyway, you could also be a less serious student and have more free time but you should really carefully think it through before deciding to do that.

Fourth year is an entirely different story of course.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that actually. I didn't know if I should be taking what I read on their website with a grain of salt or not..

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that actually. I didn't know if I should be taking what I read on their website with a grain of salt or not..

I would always take those kinds of comments with a grain of salt. That section of every school's website is full of students that self select for being very very positive (probably too positive), and kind of emphasizing the fun parts of school and downplaying the work part of school. You'll notice the exact same thing going on when you apply to residency, but to a lesser extent. But like I said, you CAN do rock climbing. You just can't do that, skiing, sampling local cuisine, and visit a museum all in the same weekend. Unless it's the rare weekend that you really have nothing to do, but those are rare weekends you must cherish.

Ahh. Current KCUMB is doing some variant of the dubin curriculum (same as RVU) right now, although the 4th years I meet on the interview trail tell me that KCUMB might not stick with it. It's an intense curriculum.

Dr. Dubin was here for the past 2ish years and he had two faculty come from RVU who essentially helped run this curriculum. Dr. Dubin is no longer there but the two faculty are and so far, they have stuck with the curriculum for now.

So I understand KCU has a higher average board score, but should I be concerned about the previous posts complaining about the stress level of the program? Now I don't know if it is actually true, but I heard there was a number of people having mental breakdowns this year (maybe that is normal for Med school? I really don't know).
If anybody knows what the main differences between the schools are, specifically about the difficulty of the curriculum, average "happiness" level of the students, or which city provides a more entertaining atmosphere, I'd love your input.
Do students at either school find that they have more time to do stuff they enjoy more than the other?

The stress is there because there is some sort of exam almost every week from the time you start to the end of the semester. Whether it is a competency, a quiz, an midterm, or a standardized patient interview there's something there. First years have anatomy and a more front loaded OS than second year.

Second year is essentially having to memorize all of Big Robbina. Using Pathoma or just First Aid for path review will result in doing poorly on the exams. Additionally, they also squeeze path into two week intervals, so if you can imagine memorizing all GI path in two weeks and having to memorize every table, every caption under an image, every detail about the subtypes of lesions and cancers in Big Robbins that's where the stress comes from. Yes there are students who have had to seek psychological counseling and yes, the curriculum can take a toll on your mental and emotional well being but it's just so hard to say that type of stuff is exclusive to one medical school at all.

RVU has a similar curriculum but I am sure it's been well modified since Dr Dubin left. I am sure the intensity is still there but is it to the level of KCU? Hard to say. Are students happier at RVU? Very subjective and can't really give a firm yes or no. My KCU class and the class below us are very happy and we enjoy Kansas City a lot. It has a pretty cool hipster vibe to it and the night life here is awesome.

Reactions: 4 users
The stress is there because there is some sort of exam almost every week from the time you start to the end of the semester. Whether it is a competency, a quiz, an midterm, or a standardized patient interview there's something there. First years have anatomy and a more front loaded OS than second year.

Second year is essentially having to memorize all of Big Robbina. Using Pathoma or just First Aid for path review will result in doing poorly on the exams. Additionally, they also squeeze path into two week intervals, so if you can imagine memorizing all GI path in two weeks and having to memorize every table, every caption under an image, every detail about the subtypes of lesions and cancers in Big Robbins that's where the stress comes from. Yes there are students who have had to seek psychological counseling and yes, the curriculum can take a toll on your mental and emotional well being but it's just so hard to say that type of stuff is exclusive to one medical school at all.

RVU has a similar curriculum but I am sure it's been well modified since Dr Dubin left. I am sure the intensity is still there but is it to the level of KCU? Hard to say. Are students happier at RVU? Very subjective and can't really give a firm yes or no. My KCU class and the class below us are very happy and we enjoy Kansas City a lot. It has a pretty cool hipster vibe to it and the night life here is awesome.

Thank you! Idk why people make it such a big deal to mention that KCU is impossibly hard. ALL OF MEDICAL SCHOOL IS HARD. If it was easy, SDN would not exist!

Both schools have the same curriculum, but RVU has had it longer and has adjusted it along the years to meets the expectations and suggestions of the students more.
The curriculum is demanding but it prepares students to be very competent physicians and perform well on boards.
Both are great schools and you can not go wrong with either.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions about RVU.

Reactions: 3 users
Both schools have the same curriculum, but RVU has had it longer and has adjusted it along the years to meets the expectations and suggestions of the students more.
The curriculum is demanding but it prepares students to be very competent physicians and perform well on boards.
Both are great schools and you can not go wrong with either.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions about RVU.
Do you have any comment on rotations sites at RVU and how impacts residency placement at RVU vs. KCU?