RVU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Essays:

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to copy and paste your resume.
2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If yes give details.
3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician? *Required
4. Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine? *Required
5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic Profession? *Required
6. Have you ever been convicted in any state or country of a criminal offense, other than a minor traffic offense, where you have been found guilty by a judge or jury or entered a plea of nolo contender (no contest)? Or have you entered into a plea bargain agreement, or any juvenile offenses, any offenses where the records have been expunged or any conviction that you are currently appealing, regardless of adjudication? If Yes, explain.
8. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be or benefit as a student or as an Osteopathic Physician.

Members don't see this ad.

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to copy and paste your resume.

8. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be or benefit as a student or as an Osteopathic Physician.

This might be a silly question, but for #1...is this focused on people who have already graduated from undergrad...or are they asking for those on summer vacation to write what they are doing?

And for #8...is it just me, or is that worded weirdly? And do you really have to put anything for that one?

#8 is the "feel free to add anything that you think we should know about you that you haven't already covered elsewhere" comment...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody finished and submitted their secondary app yet? I'm working on mine but have not finished yet.

As for Qs #1 & 8, spiffybob, I'm reading #1 as mainly for people like me who have been out of college for a few years. And #8 I'm going to use as a place to (1) explain the weaknesses in my application and how I've learned from those weaknesses to become a better student and (2) turn them in a positive manner to show how the experiences will make me a better future physician.

Good luck, all!

Last edited:
Does anybody know how much the secondary app costs?

Whew, that was a long secondary! Submitted last night, now the fun begins. Hope everyone else is making progress, good luck!

Is there a length limit/requirement for any of the secondary questions?

Is there a length limit/requirement for any of the secondary questions?

I kept mine to a half of a page to 3/4 of a page. I think with secondary Essay questions being Clear, Concise, and Coherent are the keys to making the impression you want with a school.

Kind of, they had a note posted on my secondary page that one of my letter writers needed to contact them in regards to what I took from them. It was removed within a day of the prof contacting them... Nothing else though and I was wondering the same

Got the secondary today but my committee doesnt make my letter until September :( Is there anything i can do to further myself in this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything about interviews yet?

Ok... Just checking... ;) just praying/hoping/wishing for an interview.... I want to go here soooo much!!!

From talking with admissions from last year Applications aren't really scrutinized until August when the new class starts and is underway. To much to juggle with new apps coming in and trying to get a new class started.

Seems though at the beginning of August, the scrutinizing begins. Best of luck to those applying.

That is good news then... Thanks!

How do you know if your app is complete? Does RVUCOM email you?

I ask because my last LOR has been sent out via snail mail recently and I really have no way of knowing if it already got there (or if my other LORs that were sent out earlier got there, for that matter).

Its on the page after you log in...

Its on the page after you log in...

Ohhhhhh, I see.
Are you referring to the section where it says (for me) "Current Status: Applicant - supplemental application received" ?
I assume that will change to "complete" once all letters are in?

My bad. :oops:

When you have all your LORs in they will list all the letter writters under "view supplemental app" and above "withdraw"... When it is complete it will say "Current Status:File complete"

I KNOW IT!!!!

hoping/wishing/praying!

No, 60% are OOS 40% are IS... CO law says you get a tuition break if you're a CO resident though... or part of WICHE (or whatever it is)

It's a secret... Kidding, I asked when I went on a tour last October. The admissions woman said it was about 60/40... and the tuition stuff is in their tuition info

Add me to the list of people applying for this school. Everything about RVUCOM sounds great. I've lived in Aurora, CO before for 3 years when I was younger, plus I love to snowboard!

AWWW YEAAA THE ROCKIES!

Just received this message from Dr. Dubin, RVUCOM Dean. Not too shabby for a new school!

I want to give everyone an update on the RVUCOM Board Scores for the Class of 2013. In terms of the COMLEX I Board Scores, we now have 136 COMLEX I scores reported. This gives us a 99+% pass rate for first time takers, with exam scores for 90% of the class having been reported at this time. We are awaiting another 15 student score reports. The class mean is 535. I will report the rest of the data once I receive it from the NBOME.

Congratulations to all of our students, faculty, and staff in this success. We are all here working towards our mission of training great osteopathic physicians. These board scores are a reflection of your hard work.

Well Done.

Dr. Bruce Dubin
Dean
RVUCOM

Just received this message from Dr. Dubin, RVUCOM Dean. Not too shabby for a new school!

I want to give everyone an update on the RVUCOM Board Scores for the Class of 2013. In terms of the COMLEX I Board Scores, we now have 136 COMLEX I scores reported. This gives us a 99+% pass rate for first time takers, with exam scores for 90% of the class having been reported at this time. We are awaiting another 15 student score reports. The class mean is 535. I will report the rest of the data once I receive it from the NBOME.

Congratulations to all of our students, faculty, and staff in this success. We are all here working towards our mission of training great osteopathic physicians. These board scores are a reflection of your hard work.

Well Done.

Dr. Bruce Dubin
Dean
RVUCOM

I'm also a student at RVU and wanted to add my $.02. First of all, I love going to RVU! I'm now a second-year, and have enjoyed my experience so far.

As for the board scores, I thought I should add that for the class of 2014, scores are expected to be even higher. This is based on a couple reasons. First, our entrance scores were higher than the class of 2013. Second, the new curriculum, which was implemented our first year, is designed in such a way to provide review of the material that was learned in the first year during the second year. This has shown to be highly successful in raising board scores at other programs.

If you have any questions about the school or specifics about the curriculum, I would be happy to answer them. Good luck to you!

Did anybody else have trouble when trying to submit the secondary? I put in my payment information, clicked submit, and it just took me back to the "Section 1:contact" tab. No confirmation. I tried this twice. Just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't missing something before calling the school.

I submitted on July 15th, and had no issues. There must be a glitch, I'd email them or call them...

Looking at last year's thread, it looks like the first invite went out on 8/11. Here's hoping for next week!!!

I agree! I'm anxiously awaiting an interview invite!!! I hope I get one!

My letters were released to AACOMAS from virtualEvals on the 3rd but I still have the "Applicant-Supplemental Application Received" status. How do I get it to be complete? Should I be worried?

You have to submit your LORS directly to the school. AACOMAS doesn't distribute letters to schools for you. So, if you didn't send the LORs directly to RVU, they don't have them. It says this pretty explicitly in the instructions, so you need to send them to RVU.

You have to submit your LORS directly to the school. AACOMAS doesn't distribute letters to schools for you. So, if you didn't send the LORs directly to RVU, they don't have them. It says this pretty explicitly in the instructions, so you need to send them to RVU.

My bad. I meant that virtualEvals released my letters to RVU...at least that's what it said in the email. According to RVU's site, they accept letters from VE, so I should be golden, right? So neurotic.

yes, calm down, give them some time, the incoming class started this past week... :)

My letters were released to AACOMAS from virtualEvals on the 3rd but I still have the "Applicant-Supplemental Application Received" status. How do I get it to be complete? Should I be worried?

I sent my letters on the 3rd as well, and I have the same status "Applicant-Supplemental Application Received." I am guessing it will be changed on Monday?? Are there others that have had their letters sent awhile ago with a "complete" status?

My app has been complete since 7/15.

I haven't received a secondary from here yet, and I got one from them last year, so I'm pretty sure I meet the minimum requirements to get the supp. Has anyone else not received one that thinks they should have? I'm wondering if I should call admissions...

They up'ed the minimum requirements from last year to this year. Maybe make sure? But they sent me an email prior to my MCAT being released and said I didn't meet their criteria, so you should have at least received that email otherwise... When did your AACOMAS go out?

Released 7/21. And I have about a 3.5 for both sGPA and cGPA, and a 27S for MCAT. I don't think they would've raised their minimums higher than that, would they?

Released 7/21. And I have about a 3.5 for both sGPA and cGPA, and a 27S for MCAT. I don't think they would've raised their minimums higher than that, would they?

No they bumped up from 2.5 to 2.75. I received my secondary about a week after I was released. So, I would call or email. Their admissions people are very prompt about fixing issues, and I have found them to be more helpful than most of the admissions people I've dealt with.

Done and done. Sent the e-mail today and if they haven't responded by Tuesday, I'll give 'em a call. Thanks for your help. :)

NP! I'll be extremely surprised if they don't respond by tomorrow morning.

Letters received. Application is now complete!!!!! How about you mtmed?

Letters received. Application is now complete!!!!! How about you mtmed?

When I checked, I still wasn't complete. I called admissions and I'm so glad I did! They couldn't find the letters, couldn't find the letters, she searched by my name and even my AAMC number and still couldn't find them. Then she tried some last ditch spot, and there they were! Who knows how long they would have sat in limbo. Very helpful though, she really put effort into helping me.

Glad to hear you're complete AustinLAS, hopefully I will be too by the end of the day!

Got the invite! See you guys there!

Edit: Does anyone else not have a specific time/date listed? Do we need to call and schedule our interview?

Last edited: