RVU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion starts here!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm trying to narrow my list of schools to apply to and was wondering if anybody has an opinion or any information about RVU and whether to apply or not...

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm trying to narrow my list of schools to apply to and was wondering if anybody has an opinion or any information about RVU and whether to apply or not...

Thanks!

I withdrew my app from RVU because they are the only medical school in the U.S. with a "for profit" status. Other schools with such status are Devry, ITT Tech, etc. and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those schools, but they do claim to be in it as a profit making business. Also they are still only provisionally acredited and so they require private loans with higher interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the for Profit status about RVU has been beaten so much and really should be referenced from other countless threads.

As far as loans go, it is true that the school is not accredited yet and you have to take out private loans. But To me what stands out about the school is the fact that they have a private loan program setup with private investors that is setup exactly like the Student Plus loans, the only difference is that in order to qualify for the loan they do a credit check and the payment period is 20 years not 10 and the grace period is 16 months not 0 (this is only comparing Student PLUS loans not Stafford). Its almost the same loan just through a private investor. To me this speaks very highly of the school, They Recognize a problem "Our students would have to attend by taking out Hi interest private loans", and came up with a solution "Lets create a Loan program that is very much like the Student Plus Loans they can get at other Schools".

The interview process was the best out of all I went to. From setting up the interview, feeling relaxed during the interview, and getting connected with resources (hotel, shuttle) in the area, RVU was hands down the best one I attended. Best part about the interview is 75% of those interviewed are accepted, or somewhere around there. I feel they do scrutinize their applications a little more than other schools.

I think the for Profit status about RVU has been beaten so much and really should be referenced from other countless threads.

As far as loans go, it is true that the school is not accredited yet and you have to take out private loans. But To me what stands out about the school is the fact that they have a private loan program setup with private investors that is setup exactly like the Student Plus loans, the only difference is that in order to qualify for the loan they do a credit check and the payment period is 20 years not 10 and the grace period is 16 months not 0 (this is only comparing Student PLUS loans not Stafford). Its almost the same loan just through a private investor. To me this speaks very highly of the school, They Recognize a problem "Our students would have to attend by taking out Hi interest private loans", and came up with a solution "Lets create a Loan program that is very much like the Student Plus Loans they can get at other Schools".

The interview process was the best out of all I went to. From setting up the interview, feeling relaxed during the interview, and getting connected with resources (hotel, shuttle) in the area, RVU was hands down the best one I attended. Best part about the interview is 75% of those interviewed are accepted, or somewhere around there. I feel they do scrutinize their applications a little more than other schools.
Actually, RVU is accredited. They have what is called provisional accreditation, the same as PNWU and Debusk. All schools are given provisional accreditation until their fourth year final visit by accreditation from COCA. This was explained to us by the COCA accreditation team when they met with us students here on campus in Februray. Also, as I understand it, new MD schools are not fully accredited immediately when they open up. I think it take them three years or so, and a final visit/report before they too can get the full accreditation status. Look at the LCME site for more information.

Actually, RVU is accredited. They have what is called provisional accreditation, the same as PNWU and Debusk. All schools are given provisional accreditation until their fourth year final visit by accreditation from COCA. This was explained to us by the COCA accreditation team when they met with us students here on campus in Februray. Also, as I understand it, new MD schools are not fully accredited immediately when they open up. I think it take them three years or so, and a final visit/report before they too can get the full accreditation status. Look at the LCME site for more information.

My Bad. I know the school has provisional accreditation I just figured since the topic of loans came out one would realize that I was referencing Full Accreditation.

Just a quick note...DCOM is not provisionally accredited, they are fully accredited. :)

I didn't know they had that private loan process set up that's great :thumbup: I think they have a good program and everything and Colorado is nice, but I personally wanted to avoid the additional stigma of for-profit status. As much as it shouldn't matter it would be irritating to stand out among colleagues for that reason. Although if they produce excellent physicians colleagues may not care about the school's status anyway.

I am applying, and I do NOT consider RVU to be in the likes of ITT, et al... Reason being, you can actually FAIL at RVU. This is med school, there are tests you have to pass in order to become a Dr, its not just pay us 160k and here's your license... Either way, for many other reasons, they are my top choice... I visited the campus, its very nice, I liked the random students I met, it was good... They are brand new and not associated with any other school, so there is a learning curve, but I have heard good things about the faculty... Their tuition is less than several other schools that are 'non-profit' sooo, for me its a go...

I am applying, and I do NOT consider RVU to be in the likes of ITT, et al... Reason being, you can actually FAIL at RVU. This is med school, there are tests you have to pass in order to become a Dr, its not just pay us 160k and here's your license... Either way, for many other reasons, they are my top choice... I visited the campus, its very nice, I liked the random students I met, it was good... They are brand new and not associated with any other school, so there is a learning curve, but I have heard good things about the faculty... Their tuition is less than several other schools that are 'non-profit' sooo, for me its a go...

I wouldn't say it's like ITT or Devry in any way other than it's financial status. I understand it's a great DO school, but I wouldn't overlook the fact that they are the only U.S. med school with such status. I'm not trying to turn the official RVU thread into an argument so here's a good thread I recommend reading up on before applying: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=674199 and I won't say anything else about it.

You couldn't turn me off of it for any reason... My reasons for it being my top choice are stronger than your reasons for it to not be... ;) I understand the concern there, but after having met with the school I didn't have any hesitations, and I specifically asked them questions about for-profit vs NPO... To each their own ;) Anyone who doesn't apply is just competition I don't have to deal with ;)

I'm debating this school as well since I don't know if I should apply to RVU based on how new it is...like is it organized in terms of its rotations and nearby hospitals???

Is 21 MCAT too low for this school? My Sci. GPA is 3.3, Cum. 3.65, non-science: 3.9...

great leadership roles, research, clinical shadowing hours...

I'm debating this school as well since I don't know if I should apply to RVU based on how new it is...like is it organized in terms of its rotations and nearby hospitals???

Is 21 MCAT too low for this school? My Sci. GPA is 3.3, Cum. 3.65, non-science: 3.9...

great leadership roles, research, clinical shadowing hours...

21 MCATs are a little low, but you never know if something else on your application will attract adcom.
RVU is getting great applications due to shortage of med schools in CO, UT, MT, NM, and average MCATs & GPA is rising every year. I think the first two years they may not have been as selective. I think majority of the people who visited RVU, and talked to faculty & current students have very positive opinion. Don't trust SDN trolls who bash RVU solely based on FP status. You need to know that Dean & some of the Faculty are very experienced and well know in the Med community.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the RVU website:

"5. All applicants are required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) within three (3) years of matriculation.
Note: On the average, students admitted to colleges of osteopathic medicine have MCAT scores > 24. MCAT scores within any section must be a 6 or higher. RVUCOM does not combine the highest scores in each section from multiple exams. The mean MCAT score for the Class of 2014 was 27"

Does anybody know anything about the secondaries for RVU? I know I'm a bit ahead of myself since we can't even submit primaries until Wednesday, but I've been having trouble (and losing patience) wading thru all of the FP/NFP bickering on past years' threads.

Thanks!

Does anybody know anything about the secondaries for RVU? I know I'm a bit ahead of myself since we can't even submit primaries until Wednesday, but I've been having trouble (and losing patience) wading thru all of the FP/NFP bickering on past years' threads.

Thanks!

Last year there were a couple of essay's. They asked why Osteopathic mecidine, why RVU, what uniqueness you will bring to the school, and anything additional you would like to add. I think you also uploaded your CV. Not too rough.

Thanks!

I have the ones from last year, PM me if you want them

• If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to submit a resume.

• Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

• Why do you want to become an Osteopathic physician?

• Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

• What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic profession?

• Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.
These were posted last year. I don't know that they will for certain be the same this year

Can you post the essay questions?
Has anyone received secondaries for this year?

I submitted on 6/1 and still no peep for any secondaries... If anybody starts hearing from ANY school, please post! Thanks.

Is there a submission date next to your schools? I don't think they've actually been sent out yet... Like with AMCAS, maybe they aren't submitting just yet??

Is there a submission date next to your schools? I don't think they've actually been sent out yet... Like with AMCAS, maybe they aren't submitting just yet??

Yeah, AACOMAS told me I was complete & submitted 6/2

did anyone already get a secondary?

I was checking the dates for when i got my Secondaries last year for a friend and this is what I got from emails I sent and received.

I submitted 6/1 and Verified 6/2 (I had applied the previous year). Applications got released 6/6. I inquired why they weren't released on 6/2 and this was a response I got:

Although you got the release notice, the apps are in fact released to the colleges once a week and the first release will be this afternoon. It is also very early in the cycle this year and the COMs may not be ready to send supps yet.

So RVU got my app on the 6th and I got my Supp on the 17th. Not saying this is how it will go this year. But kind of a possible timeline of events.

I was checking the dates for when i got my Secondaries last year for a friend and this is what I got from emails I sent and received.

I submitted 6/1 and Verified 6/2 (I had applied the previous year). Applications got released 6/6. I inquired why they weren't released on 6/2 and this was a response I got:

Although you got the release notice, the apps are in fact released to the colleges once a week and the first release will be this afternoon. It is also very early in the cycle this year and the COMs may not be ready to send supps yet.

So RVU got my app on the 6th and I got my Supp on the 17th. Not saying this is how it will go this year. But kind of a possible timeline of events.

Thanks for the info, that is helpful!

Ah, I see what you mean now. My profile just changed to "released" today. Hopefully that means secondaries won't be too far behind!

Mine said they were released yesterday, but I don't have an MCAT score yet, so I don't know what that will mean for me... my score will be out on the 21st, I'm hopeful I am still early enough ;)

OMG My primary is not yet sent and they are going to send a secondary potentially next Friday?!

well, if they do, I don't have my MCAT scores yet, sooo.... that is sucky... however, I know the first day they can be submitted is July 1st. So... get on the boat ;)

Just Chillaxe a bit.

Each Application cycle changes so take your time get the application right. I only provided my timeline from last year. I did not turn in the secondary until a month later so relax.

I don't think in reality anyone is freaked out... Anyone uptight will certainly not do well in Colorado...

Hey to all applying to RVU!

I know the loan situation is a big factor for many when applying to RVU. I am a first year starting in July and we were just notified that we can apply for private loans through Sallie Mae. With a co-signer, one could potentially get a very low interest rate. I don't know much more than that so don't ask me....but our financial aid dept could answer questions for sure:)

Just thought you might want to know!

Hey to all applying to RVU!

I know the loan situation is a big factor for many when applying to RVU. I am a first year starting in July and we were just notified that we can apply for private loans through Sallie Mae. With a co-signer, one could potentially get a very low interest rate. I don't know much more than that so don't ask me....but our financial aid dept could answer questions for sure:)

Just thought you might want to know!
thats the only thing Im worried about. I have hardly no family and the only person that could sign for me is my wife and our credit isn't that great (its not bad but just not considered GOOD, especially during these economic times). and I don't want to apply, take someones spot and then not be able to pay for school.

Also, my mcat score is making me hesitant to apply also (25) and their average is a 27. I would love love love to live in colorado though especialy parker, there are some very nice areas around there.

So, for every 29, there is a 25... Don't sell yourself short. Also, contact their financial aid dept, it can't hurt to ask the questions you have and find out your options. I want to go to school (God-willing I get in) with people who want to go there, not people who bitch about it... ;)

So, for every 29, there is a 25... Don't sell yourself short. Also, contact their financial aid dept, it can't hurt to ask the questions you have and find out your options. I want to go to school (God-willing I get in) with people who want to go there, not people who bitch about it... ;)

Oh I would love to go to rvu. Plus it seems like its the underdog med school with a chip on its shoulder. I would love to be a part of their program. Plus I've dreamt of living out west since I was a kid, but I think that might be another thing holding me back is that I'm from nj. Who knows, I'm waiting ton get paid again and then I'm going to add a few schools to my list. Rvu will probably be one of them. Thanx for the push.

Although going to school with a liberal will be difficult:laugh:

Devry owns Ross University in the Caribbean...pretty sure people fail out of there.

If you are coming on to this thread to start a big war, please don't. This is for students interesting in applying to RVU, not for people interested in bashing it. People fail out of 4yr state universities all the time... This is a preliminarily accredited school, it is NOT in the carib, so again, if you are here to cause a ruckus, go elsewhere.

DrYiot, I think you'll manage, we both have to GET IN!!! :)

Last edited:
If you are coming on to this thread to start a big war, please don't. This is for students interesting in applying to RVU, not for people interested in bashing it. People fail out of 4yr state universities all the time... This is a preliminarily accredited school, it is NOT in the carib, so again, if you are here to cause a ruckus, go elsewhere.

DrYiot, I think you'll manage, we both have to GET IN!!! :)

You were defending RVU's for profit status with the contention that, unlike other for profit schools like DeVry, they fail poorly performing students. I simply wanted to point out other for profit medical schools (the only other ones being in the carribbean) fail students out left and right.

For-profit schools in the US largely fail no one. The professors are paid to keep the students happy, so they keep paying money. Students at these schools usually have 4.0 GPAs, seldom do they even get a B, it is why they aren't usually actually accredited...

For-profit schools in the US largely fail no one. The professors are paid to keep the students happy, so they keep paying money. Students at these schools usually have 4.0 GPAs, seldom do they even get a B, it is why they aren't usually actually accredited...
agree 100%. they juke the stats cupcake

Personally, considering the people who go carib are usually, at least on paper, mediocre students, and the lack of hand holding done at those schools, I'm not surprised by the failure rate. Considering how hard med school is, it isn't surprising people who are potentialy mediocre would fail...

You'll be surrounded by liberals, what will you do!!! ;)

It's a joke, not sure if you read the whole thread... and DrYiot have other stuff going on in different threads... :)

My stuff is goofy because my app was released at the same time my MCAT score came in so my updated info will be released tomorrow... I'm assuming I'll have it before the end of the week...