RVU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected! Really surprised by this one...CO resident, 33Q, 3.75...wtf. any insight?

How in the world did this happen....

Do you think they thought you were overqualified? I know it's been rumored to happen, but always thought it was just a myth.

Members don't see this ad.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news for all you non traditional applicants out there...

RVU did an internal audit and have made a "recommendation" to the admissions committee that is new this year...
They will not accept any applicant that has not been in school (full time/part time?? (I'm not sure)) in the last 2-3 years. Even if you have taken a couple of hard science classes in the last 2-3 years, you are out of luck. They will not consider inviting you to an interview, even with above average stats for the school and an otherwise excellent application.

I was unable to log in to the website on Friday because I was "no longer a prospective student." I called Katy to make sure I was rejected because I still have not received an email, and she confirmed it and told me about the internal audit. She said I was an "excellent applicant" and she was sure I would be accepted somewhere else, just not at RVU. I am really upset they have no recommendations (or minimum requirements) about this on their website to applicants, and that they even sent out a secondary to me. What a waste of time and money on a school that was not even going to give me a chance. Needless to say, last Friday really hurt. :thumbdown:

Best of luck to all those that are able to interview here! You are lucky!

Last edited:
So sorry to be the bearer of bad news for all you non traditional applicants out there...

RVU did an internal audit and have made a "recommendation" to the admissions committee that is new this year...
They will not accept any applicant that has not been in school (full time/part time?? (I'm not sure)) in the last 2-3 years. Even if you have taken a couple of hard science classes in the last 2-3 years, you are out of luck. They will not consider inviting you to an interview, even with above average stats for the school and an otherwise excellent application.

I was unable to log in to the website on Friday because I was "no longer a prospective student." I called Katy to make sure I was rejected because I still have not received an email, and she confirmed it and told me about the internal audit. She said I was an "excellent applicant" and she was sure I would be accepted somewhere else, just not at RVU. I am really upset they have no recommendations (or minimum requirements) about this on their website to applicants, and that they even sent out a secondary to me. What a waste of time and money on a school that was not even going to give me a chance. Needless to say, last Friday really sucked. :thumbdown:

What?? Are you sure? So you need to have been in school in the past few years? What if you graduated a year ago or two ago? Or did they say you need to be in school right now :confused: Also, how long did it take them to reject you once your file was completed? Good luck everywhere else :luck:

Rejected! Really surprised by this one...CO resident, 33Q, 3.75...wtf. any insight?

I am sorry about your rejection. Don't worry though, you will get some love from other schools for sure :) Were you in school the last few years, and did you call them to ask why they rejected you?

Has anyone received an interview who had not been in school for the past one-two years? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
What?? Are you sure? So you need to have been in school in the past few years? What if you graduated a year ago or two ago? Or did they say you need to be in school right now :confused: Also, how long did it take them to reject you once your file was completed? Good luck everywhere else :luck:

I was complete on 8/8, rejected 8/26 by checking my status, and still no rejection email. Sorry, I don't know any other details on their decision other than what I posted already, but I think your okay if you have been in school in the past year. I have been out of school for exactly three years, and have been working in the healthcare field full time since.

Well, that certainly explains it. I grad in 2008 so exactly three years ago.

Well, that certainly explains it. I grad in 2008 so exactly three years ago.

I got the same pop up when I tried to login, but I just graduated this past April... Darn lol. (3.2, 3.2, 27Q)

I graduated in December...I called but got an answering machine, so I emailed instead. Hopefully, I'll hear back soon. this is really bugging me.

I am sorry to hear about the bad news some of you a getting, I'm not quite sure if I agree with the recommendation their internal audit gave, seems they are missing out on some very qualified applicants. However on a happier note, I have an interview!! Good luck everyone! I feel for you guys who got screwed by the audit, Im sure you will get some love from other schools.

Just received an interview here!! I selected the sept 22 date.

Just heard back from RVU...Ms. Rosenthal called me personally when she received my email and went over my rejection with me. Basically, I'm not a science major and I don't have quite as many medically related experiences as the other candidates. I haven't taken human anatomy and that was big. Apparently RVU is getting super competitive, more so than some of the other, more established DO schools.

Chalk one up for the "super pre-med" applicant

So we need anatomy classes to be considered competitive here? All I have for anatomy is just the General Biology animal systems class that everyone takes. Does that mean I'll be rejected too, since I didn't take any other anatomy classes?

Oh boy...

Do they offer anything where interviewing students can stay with current students?

Just received an interview here!! I selected the sept 22 date.

Congrats, got my interview invite today too! Picked 9/21. Does anyone know how quickly they give you a decision response following your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, got my interview invite today too! Picked 9/21. Does anyone know how quickly they give you a decision response following your interview?

As do most schools, RVU lets you know as soon as they can. The admissions comity normally meets every 2 weeks. They normally try and give you a heads-up as to when they will be letting you know after the interview. When I interviewed last year they told us a week later.

As do most schools, RVU lets you know as soon as they can. The admissions comity normally meets every 2 weeks. They normally try and give you a heads-up as to when they will be letting you know after the interview. When I interviewed last year they told us a week later.

A week? Wow, that would be awesome.. this waiting game is harsh! Was it by email/phone/or normal mail? Also, did you choose to attend RVUCOM? Maybe you can answer a question if you do. Are most classes lecture based or more problem base learning? Thanks!

I was unable to log in to the website on Friday because I was "no longer a prospective student." I called Katy to make sure I was rejected because I still have not received an email, and she confirmed it and told me about the internal audit. She said I was an "excellent applicant" and she was sure I would be accepted somewhere else, just not at RVU. I am really upset they have no recommendations (or minimum requirements) about this on their website to applicants, and that they even sent out a secondary to me. What a waste of time and money on a school that was not even going to give me a chance. Needless to say, last Friday really sucked. :thumbdown:

Just heard back from RVU...Ms. Rosenthal called me personally when she received my email and went over my rejection with me. Basically, I'm not a science major and I don't have quite as many medically related experiences as the other candidates. I haven't taken human anatomy and that was big. Apparently RVU is getting super competitive, more so than some of the other, more established DO schools.

Chalk one up for the "super pre-med" applicant

So we need anatomy classes to be considered competitive here? All I have for anatomy is just the General Biology animal systems class that everyone takes. Does that mean I'll be rejected too, since I didn't take any other anatomy classes?

Oh boy...

I got an interview despite all of that stuff. I graduated four years ago (in 2007) with a BBA, not a science degree. I've only taken "a couple of hard science courses" in between...about 8 hours a semester. I haven't taken anatomy. My grades are average, my MCAT is above average. I have worked full-time as a paramedic since I graduated, though.

Last edited:
Soooo...

Ms. Rosenthal sent me a personal email. Apologizing for the email that was sent before, she said it wasn't intended for me, it was supposed to go to a non-applicant (a person who hadn't applied yet), and said she and the other woman both felt badly that I had received the email. I feel better that I at least have a real response about my app and it's weaknesses. I cannot attest to the recent coursework info, and I've taken classes FT up to this spring. Mine was just not as competitive and she said they are very selective prior to interviewing.... Oh well, not going to go there, so I'm hopefully I'm going elsewhere :)

A week? Wow, that would be awesome.. this waiting game is harsh! Was it by email/phone/or normal mail? Also, did you choose to attend RVUCOM? Maybe you can answer a question if you do. Are most classes lecture based or more problem base learning? Thanks!

There is a mix of regular lectures and what we call CIS's (I think "clinical interactive sessions"). During CIS's they present cases and ask you questions based on them. They can utilize i-clickers, pass around microphones, or call on you randomly from the class list to answer. I think the mix of the two methods really helps students to learn concepts better. At least in my case it does.

Another cool thing about the curriculum is that it is structured in a way that you learn the anatomy and physiology, with a little pathology thrown in, of all the systems during the first year. Then, during the second year, you learn all the pathology and review the anatomy and physiology from the first year. It really helps you to not forget what you've learned and be prepared for boards.

Last edited:

Oh boy...

I don't think not having anatomy on its own will disqualify you. If you have other recommended classes and good extra curriculars you should be fine, I would think. However, anatomy is HUGE!!! I mean, I took anatomy in undergrad and I struggled now and then during our anatomy class. There is just so much there to learn! People who didn't have anatomy at all definitely had to put in the extra effort in an already demanding course. I highly recommend taking it if you still have the opportunity.

Wow! This school sounds like a disaster. I went there for an open house and the students seemed really cool. However, I heard that the adminstrative infrastucture is very weak. That seems to be true if they are making decisions like the ones you mentioned. It just seems so illogical to me. Doesn't it???

I don't think not having anatomy on its own will disqualify you. If you have other recommended classes and good extra curriculars you should be fine, I would think. However, anatomy is HUGE!!! I mean, I took anatomy in undergrad and I struggled now and then during our anatomy class. There is just so much there to learn! People who didn't have anatomy at all definitely had to put in the extra effort in an already demanding course. I highly recommend taking it if you still have the opportunity.
i never took anatomy in undergrad. i don't think not having one particular course should take you out of the running.

My status is interview wait list, anyone have any experience with this or know if i should send them an update letter? I just got my new mcat score which was a 29, and i have a 3.3 sgpa.

I think that it can't hurt. If you have a better score, and you say something strong about your intent to attend there, it could help... LECOM Bradenton said the same thing to our interview group...

My status is interview wait list, anyone have any experience with this or know if i should send them an update letter? I just got my new mcat score which was a 29, and i have a 3.3 sgpa.

What was your original MCAT? Send the update.

I got a 25 the firs time, and released my score to aacomas. Should I call them to make sure they received it? A letter of update seems like a bit much right now since nothing has changed for me except my mcat score.

I got a 25 the firs time, and released my score to aacomas. Should I call them to make sure they received it? A letter of update seems like a bit much right now since nothing has changed for me except my mcat score.

While a 4 point jump in your mcat is significant (good job!), I don't think a letter of update is needed but a call to the admissions office to "ensure they've gotten your new score from AACOMAS" isn't a bad idea because it maintains the impression that you are on top of your stuff and super interested in the school. Good luck :)

While a 4 point jump in your mcat is significant (good job!), I don't think a letter of update is needed but a call to the admissions office to "ensure they've gotten your new score from AACOMAS" isn't a bad idea because it maintains the impression that you are on top of your stuff and super interested in the school. Good luck :)

Agreed. Also, a 25 is below average, while a 29 is above average. It will make a difference.

Hey everyone. A little while ago, someone sent me a private message asking what I thought makes RVU unique from other schools and what I like most about it. I asked if I could post my response here, and since I haven't heard from him, here it is:

There are a couple really standout things that make RVU unique from other schools. First is the curriculum, which I've explained on other posts a little, but it basically incorporates board review naturally into itself. First year: Anatomy, Physiology, and some Pathology of all systems. Second year: Pathology and review of Anatomy and Physiology of all systems. I'm currently in my second year and the review of the first year stuff is really helping me keep everything fresh in my mind. I think there are only a couple other schools out there with a similar curriculum.

The second thing that makes RVU unique is we now have 100 students who are HPSP scholarship recipients. I am one of them. This is more military students than any other medical school in the country other than of course USUHS. You might have read about the different "track" options available to students - rural, international medicine, and military tracks. These are pretty much awesome, allowing you to get extra education in areas you want and providing some pretty cool opportunities throughout the year such as medical missions, health fair participation, symposiums, etc.

As far as what I like best about the school, there's a lot to choose from. Faculty is great, facilities are nice, but probably the best thing is just the relationship students have with each other. You will probably hear students at a lot of schools tell you that they are not competitive with each other.Students at RVU really aren't, and even make an extra effort to help each other. I receive emails on a regular basis from other students sharing a study guide or outlines of different lectures. You can always find someone to study with too.

One other thing that I really like about the school is its for-profit status. A lot of people might think it's a negative, but I think it's a positive. The reason being, they want to keep you happy and will listen to you. We told them we needed some more lockers and we got more lockers installed. Think something could be changed to improve the curriculum? We are required to give feedback after every course on the course itself and on the faculty and this feedback is taken seriously and changes are made. Think of it this way: you're not just a student, you're the consumer of a product and RVU wants you to have a quality product that you are nothing but satisfied with.

Coming to RVU was a great decision and I wouldn't change it if I had to make it again. Hope this helps!

Hey everyone,

BS in Health Sciences and minors in Chem and Business in 4 years. Over 500 hours of shadowing and lots of extracurriculars. Working full time now while I apply. Texas resident. Any thoughts?

Also, I am currently working on my secondary application and should be submitting it in the next 2 weeks. Am I late?

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

BS in Health Sciences and minors in Chem and Business in 4 years. Overall GPA 3.29 and science GPA 3.32. 25Q MCAT. Overall 500 hours of shadowing and lots of extracurriculars. Working full time now while I apply. Texas resident. Any thoughts?

Also, I am currently working on my secondary application and should be submitting it in the next 2 weeks. Am I late?

Are you pasting this same post on all the school-specific threads?

I am trying to get a feel for what schools are in my range. I applied to a total of 7 and I seem to get different answers for average scores everytime I ask.

Does RVU record the lectures and make them available to the students?

Yes. Most clinical medicine and OPP labs are recorded and posted too, as well as campus events / guest lectures. You can also rewatch lectures on up to 2x the original recorded rate of speed, something many of my colleagues and I find tremendously useful.

Hey everyone,

BS in Health Sciences and minors in Chem and Business in 4 years. Overall GPA 3.29 and science GPA 3.32. 25Q MCAT. Overall 500 hours of shadowing and lots of extracurriculars. Working full time now while I apply. Texas resident. Any thoughts?

what is the breakdown of your mcat? Obviously the earlier apps are in, the better the odds in general, but I don't think you're super late, as long as you get everything done by the end of this month. RVU interviewed into April last year.

Hey everyone. A little while ago, someone sent me a private message asking what I thought makes RVU unique from other schools and what I like most about it. I asked if I could post my response here, and since I haven't heard from him, here it is:

There are a couple really standout things that make RVU unique from other schools. First is the curriculum, which I've explained on other posts a little, but it basically incorporates board review naturally into itself. First year: Anatomy, Physiology, and some Pathology of all systems. Second year: Pathology and review of Anatomy and Physiology of all systems. I'm currently in my second year and the review of the first year stuff is really helping me keep everything fresh in my mind. I think there are only a couple other schools out there with a similar curriculum.

The second thing that makes RVU unique is we now have 100 students who are HPSP scholarship recipients. I am one of them. This is more military students than any other medical school in the country other than of course USUHS. You might have read about the different "track" options available to students - rural, international medicine, and military tracks. These are pretty much awesome, allowing you to get extra education in areas you want and providing some pretty cool opportunities throughout the year such as medical missions, health fair participation, symposiums, etc.

As far as what I like best about the school, there's a lot to choose from. Faculty is great, facilities are nice, but probably the best thing is just the relationship students have with each other. You will probably hear students at a lot of schools tell you that they are not competitive with each other.Students at RVU really aren't, and even make an extra effort to help each other. I receive emails on a regular basis from other students sharing a study guide or outlines of different lectures. You can always find someone to study with too.

One other thing that I really like about the school is its for-profit status. A lot of people might think it's a negative, but I think it's a positive. The reason being, they want to keep you happy and will listen to you. We told them we needed some more lockers and we got more lockers installed. Think something could be changed to improve the curriculum? We are required to give feedback after every course on the course itself and on the faculty and this feedback is taken seriously and changes are made. Think of it this way: you're not just a student, you're the consumer of a product and RVU wants you to have a quality product that you are nothing but satisfied with.

Coming to RVU was a great decision and I wouldn't change it if I had to make it again. Hope this helps!

:thumbup:

Does anyone know the specifics of the biology requirement for RVU? They say they want 12 hours biology with lab. The only biology classes I have taken with a lab component have been general biology (each 4 hour classes with a lab). However, I have also taken genetics, molecular bio, biochemistry, ecology, physiology for a grand total of 16 extra credits but all with no lab component. Should I look into doing an extra bio class with a lab for next semester? or perhaps I could just take one lab class (i.e. 1 credit biochem lab). Any help is appreciated!

Sounds like a question you could call and find out!:thumbup:

Does anyone know the specifics of the biology requirement for RVU? They say they want 12 hours biology with lab. The only biology classes I have taken with a lab component have been general biology (each 4 hour classes with a lab). However, I have also taken genetics, molecular bio, biochemistry, ecology, physiology for a grand total of 16 extra credits but all with no lab component. Should I look into doing an extra bio class with a lab for next semester? or perhaps I could just take one lab class (i.e. 1 credit biochem lab). Any help is appreciated!

I think you should call them and ask. I am surprised that none of those courses had any lab component, but either way, they need to tell you...

how long is everyone taking on their secondaries? I have been working on mine for around 2 weeks (I do work full-time). Is that too long? or is quality better than quickness?

Interview invite today (yay!), but I have a question. If I sign up for the AM interview, about how long will it last? I don't want to schedule my return flight too early..

hey everyone, just reschedule my interview from 9/20 to 10/12. If anyone wants to take my spot hurry up and go do it!

Interview invite today (yay!), but I have a question. If I sign up for the AM interview, about how long will it last? I don't want to schedule my return flight too early..

You can find that information on the RVUCOM applicant portal.

Ill be arriving at this school Wednesday for a Thursday interview!

If anyone is looking for a decent restaurant to go to afterward, I'd recommend Cheddars or Real De Minas both located at the shopping center at the intersection of Arapahoe and Parker roads.... Cheap and good...

Does anyone have any recommended places to check out in Parker or Denver? Location is a huge factor in my choice of schools and I want to see what this school has to offer as far as that goes.

Does anyone have any recommended places to check out in Parker or Denver? Location is a huge factor in my choice of schools and I want to see what this school has to offer as far as that goes.

If you go into Denver (which you should), make sure you check out the 16th street mall.. its a big street thats blocked off with a lot of shopping and resturants (basically the like "main strip"). The Cherry Creek mall in Denver is also a really nice (pretty upscale) mall if you're into shopping. Also, if you're out there for a few days - I would say the best way to see what Colorado really has to offer is to go into the Mountains. Breckenridge is probably like 2 hours from Denver and is definitely worth seeing (even in the fall)!

Breckenridge is about two hours without traffic. If there's traffic it takes much longer, if you're going out on a Friday afternoon or back in on a Sunday, expect 4 hours. Breck is worth a visit, so is Colorado Springs, Mount Evans, Estes Park, or pretty much anything in and around those places. Denver has everything you can want, it is a major metropolitan area. The average temp in Jan is about 50, so it's pretty mild climate, and it's dry in the summers...

It definitely depends what type of things you like to do. If you like shopping NJCOgirl is definitely right. There is also Park Meadows, a mall that is closer to the school than Cherry Creek, with lots of shopping, restaurants etc... I'm pretty sure IKEA just opened up right by there too. You should make a trip downtown (where 16th st mall is) because if you go straight from the airport to Parker you won't see it.

If you like outdoors and have time to go to the mountains, you should go! Breckenridge is a fun ski town....and many of the other major ski areas are within a 15-20 minute drive. I recommend Red Rocks too. It's on the way up to the mountains, but definitely go here if you don't have the 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drive up to Breck. It probably takes about 30-45 minutes from Parker to get to Red Rocks Park. Boulder is a great place for rock climbing, hiking, biking, and pretty much everything else outdoorsy! Wash park is another one of my favorite places. In spring and summer there are always people having BBQ's, playing pick up soccer games etc...

Then you have all the major sports teams....

And I could go on and on and on....I love Colorado:D