RVU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"our students regularly score in the 9Xth percentile..." is a claim any school can make because statistically 10% of the class will score the the 90th percentile. The facts on 2013's COMLEX scores are these: highest first-time pass rate in the nation, and RVU's mean is 20 points above that of the national mean.

Members don't see this ad.

"our students regularly score in the 9Xth percentile..." is a claim any school can make because statistically 10% of the class will score the the 90th percentile. The facts on 2013's COMLEX scores are these: highest first-time pass rate in the nation, and RVU's mean is 20 points above that of the national mean.

True, but how many people would hear that kind of remark and say "oh wow!" even though it's true of most schools.... You made my point for me! ;) But it is good to hear they are doing well.

Yeah, a lot of the time people don't realize what they're being told.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about current 4th year students, but current 3rd years are getting great reviews and recommendations (first hand experience). I don't know how CU faculty would know anything about RVU students, moreover they are not very favorable to RVU. There are incidents where CU was trying to block some sites from taking RVU students. Another fact is that if any DO student would like to do audition rotation at Denver Health they are required to pay $2000 (CO residents) or $4000 for non-residents for a 4 week rotation.

Current RVU 4th year here.

I have plenty of classmates who have earned excellent letters of rec, received many many interviews, and have just given RVU a good starting reputation. However, every class, no matter where you are, has some students who are just sub-par. RVU is no exception. We have a handful of classmates who are going to be some preceptors first impression, and it's not going to be a good one. Hopefully, as more students come through, they'll see that the majority of us are doing well.

I do know of a few students who have rotated at CU (yes, they paid) and I assume that if they were going to shell out 2-4K, that they better be good! I haven't heard about how they did or what their experience was though.

Overall, I think our 4th years are doing a great job. I'm very pleased with the number of interviews I'm hearing people get and the way they're performing on rotations. 1 week til the DO match, and 1 month til MD match... those lists won't lie!

Anyone interviewing here on 2/7 and staying at red lion hotel and wants to meet up? PM me.

Current RVU 4th year here.

I have plenty of classmates who have earned excellent letters of rec, received many many interviews, and have just given RVU a good starting reputation. However, every class, no matter where you are, has some students who are just sub-par. RVU is no exception. We have a handful of classmates who are going to be some preceptors first impression, and it's not going to be a good one. Hopefully, as more students come through, they'll see that the majority of us are doing well.

I do know of a few students who have rotated at CU (yes, they paid) and I assume that if they were going to shell out 2-4K, that they better be good! I haven't heard about how they did or what their experience was though.

Overall, I think our 4th years are doing a great job. I'm very pleased with the number of interviews I'm hearing people get and the way they're performing on rotations. 1 week til the DO match, and 1 month til MD match... those lists won't lie!

Good luck on the match! Let us know how you do :)

Hey Everyone,

I'm interviewing tomorrow at RVUCOM and was hoping I could get some advice/suggestions from past interviewers and/or current students (i.e. interview format, any particular questions to think about....the basics)

Thanks

Sorry I couldn't help you. How did your interview go?

Hey Everyone,

I'm interviewing tomorrow at RVUCOM and was hoping I could get some advice/suggestions from past interviewers and/or current students (i.e. interview format, any particular questions to think about....the basics)

Thanks

Hey Big Moishe! I really hope your interview went well today! how was the experience for you? I'm interviewing next week; would you mind sharing any advice? good luck! :xf:

You guys could check the interview feedback section, it should be very helpful

Hi guys, so I have been using SDN for sometime now and decided to make an account. I have been accepted at RVU-COM but I have tons of questions. I went ahead and gave up my seats at a few other DO schools because I loved RVU so much. So anyhow, if anyone can private message me with any information to my questions I would greatly appreciate it. I apologize in advance if it seems as though I don't know anything...it's just that all of this is new to me!

-I understand the school has been provisionally accredited, when do we find out when they will be fully accredited?
-How were the step 1 and 2 scores?
-I assume once the school gets accredited that it will be eligible for government loans...so would that mean we only get these private loans for our first year then the rest of our loans can be stafford/grad plus?
-I don't get the whole non-profit thing...does it even make a difference? I don't care where my money is going as long as I get a great education (which I felt I would at RVU)
-Just wondering, are lectures mandatory to attend? I know they said they are recorded so you can watch from home if you'd like.
-I have a husband and baby so I want a spacious home...how is nearby living?
-About how much time off per day does the average student get from studying?
-How often are exams?

Sorry yall I know its a lot of questions that have probably been answered on here. Honestly after all these interviews I began confusing the schools info. Thanks!

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Some match data just posted by the RVU Dean.

1) In terms of the Statistical Summary by College, Rocky Vista University was in second place among the percentage of students who matched in the AOA match yesterday. Our match rate was 58% match. We were only passed by Michigan State University who had a 73% match rate.

2) In terms of the Military Match, we had the largest percentage of any DO school at 13.2%

Below is a listing of those specialties our students have matched into. Certainly this number will grow, and the variety will increase with the MD match.

Anesthesia 4
Emergency Medicine 8
ENT/Plastics 1
Family Medicine 20
Family Medicine/ EM 1
General Surgery 3
Internal Medicine 22
Internal Medicine/EM 1
Neurology 1
OB/GYN 5
Ortho Surgery 1
Pediatrics 4
Radiology 1
Transitional 13

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the military match list or the AOA match list??

I believe it's both combined to date. The MD match will be added to that in mid-March. I know there are several fourth years in the MD match looking at Anesthesia and Pediatrics as well.

Is this the military match list or the AOA match list??

This was only the DO match. It's 58% of the c/o 2012. It doesn't include 13% of that same class that matched military. We're getting a full list in mid March when the allo match happens. Transitional year is a traditional rotating internship.

Since there is so much loan conversation on the RVU site, what if somebody does not need loans? Is RVU more apt to accept people in difficult financial situations? Saw so much about loans and marketing. What is the attrition like at this school? Is the grading A-F or Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory? I recently read a profile of someone on LinkedIn who was at RVU and unexpectedly left to start a different career. It made me think, I wonder if this person just left to change careers, or if they failed out similar to how they do it in the Caribbean?

Since there is so much loan conversation on the RVU site, what if somebody does not need loans? Is RVU more apt to accept people in difficult financial situations? Saw so much about loans and marketing. What is the attrition like at this school? Is the grading A-F or Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory? I recently read a profile of someone on LinkedIn who was at RVU and unexpectedly left to start a different career. It made me think, I wonder if this person just left to change careers, or if they failed out similar to how they do it in the Caribbean?

So you are likening RVU to the Carib? I would say considering their match data that would be highly unlikely. As for loans, why would the school base admissions on a persons financial status? They get paid either way, and they aren't the loan holder, Sallie Mae is... Additionally, this thread is for students interested in attending/applying to RVU, if you are here to try to turn this into a debate, please take it elsewhere...

So you are likening RVU to the Carib? I would say considering their match data that would be highly unlikely. As for loans, why would the school base admissions on a persons financial status? They get paid either way, and they aren't the loan holder, Sallie Mae is... Additionally, this thread is for students interested in attending/applying to RVU, if you are here to try to turn this into a debate, please take it elsewhere...

Well seeing a documentary on for-profit colleges, sales directors were ordering their underlings to make as many calls as possible and bring up loan conversation as quickly as possible. Their goals were to get people approved for loans as fast as they could and most of their business development targeted low income areas, and people that would not normally be approved for loans. I'm not trying to start a debate I just find it interesting that there is so much financial information on a medical school website.

-Likening RVU to Carib - NO
-Trying to turn this into a debate - NO

I'm sure its a great school and I'm interested in RVU, that's why I'm on this thread. I'm sure its got a lot of great technology, resources, and is in a nice location. I don't think it is wrong that I question the for-profitness of the school, as I bet at one time you did also before you were convinced RVU was an exceptional school. I have also heard provisional accreditation nightmares rock the nursing world, so what makes this program full proof?

Last edited:
Well seeing a documentary on for-profit colleges, sales directors were ordering their underlings to make as many calls as possible and bring up loan conversation as quickly as possible. Their goals were to get people approved for loans as fast as they could and most of their business development targeted low income areas, and people that would not normally be approved for loans. I'm not trying to start a debate I just find it interesting that there is so much financial information on a medical school website.

-Likening RVU to Carib - NO
-Trying to turn this into a debate - NO

Have you ever been called by an RVU recruiter? No, they don't have to recruit, they're a medical school
Is RVU like a "Globe College," "Kaplan," or other for-profit school? No, the closest school would be South University, which runs PA and Pharm programs and is for-profit. Comparing RVU to schools that hand out worthless pieces of paper while guaranteeing straight As to their students is folly... They aren't even close, RVU is a medical school, not what you saw a documentary on.

Schools don't know your financial situation before accepting you into their program- so how could any school be more apt to accept people in difficult financial situations? I don't believe they could.

Schools don't know your financial situation before accepting you into their program- so how could any school be more apt to accept people in difficult financial situations? I don't believe they could.

true.

Attrition is nothing like the carib but it does happen everywhere. I'd estimate rvu's about 7-8% but this includes people who had to repeat a year, most are not outright dismissed.

Hey all! I interview on the 14th of March staying at the Red Lion tuesday night. Bones, do you have any info you can share as to how many spots are yet to be filled this late in the game? There are 72 interview slots in this set and only 20 filled as of today. Trying not to get too excited, but RVUCOM is my top choice.

Just received the call...ACCEPTED!! Hooray for c/o 2016!!! Interviewed 2/8

Anyone interviewed on 2/7? and stayed at the red lion hotel??? I know there was 4 of us

Does anyone interview on March 6th? Going to book my room at the Red Lion today. Very excited, RVU is my top choice right now :)

First, congrats to everyone who has been accepted at RVU. RVU is currently my top school going into this year's cycle in a few months. I have been very impressed at watching the growth of RVU from afar while I was working in Iraq and now to see all of the hard work of the students and the professors teaming together is definitely a huge plus in my humble opinion. Their match results this year were very impressive and their pass rates are going well, which makes me definitely more excited about RVU. I have only positive things to say about one of their admissions counselors so far, and have met one of the professors in person while at the campus with a friend of mine that graduated from Western. For those looking for recommendations on living situations, apartments, etc feel free to PM me. I am hoping for the best this next cycle, and once again to those that have already been accepted, Congrats!

dr. bones, i am dr. raiden.

Somebody posted earlier that the RVU osteopathic match is 58%, but they left out that its 58% first choice. The overall match is much higher than that, I think .

I rescheduled my interview here for April. I am just a little concerned about accreditation and this being the first round of residencies for this first graduating class. She'd some light on the subject and tell me what's up because I otherwise really like this school!

The last and final accreditaton from the AOA/COCA was about a month ago, and it was excellent. No question that we will recieve full accreditation. In terms of the residency match, I know the military and AOA match was very good. The final MD match info comes out later this week. Quite a few 4th years I know are pretty confident they will be getting into competitive residency programs. I suspect the school will publish their data on the MD match, just like they did on the DO and military match.

Good luck on your interview. To bad its not earlier.

Does anyone know if there are or if there will be more interviews for this March ?

More March interview dates ? It looks like the dates are finalized online, but they added dates in April. Filling up fast.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have an early April interview scheduled at RVU, and advice from those recently accepted would be great!

Here's complete match list for RVU (ACGME, AOA, Military)

CLASS OF 2012 ALL MATCH RESULTS
Specialty by Number and Location
Specialty
Cleveland Clinic, Oh
U Colorado, Denver, CO
BAMC
Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL
South Pointe Hosp, OH
Hershey Med/Penn State, PA
BAMC
Hershey Med/Penn State, PA
U Kansas SOM - Kansas City, KS
WestUComp/Riverside County, CA
U Nebraska Affil Hosps, NE

Emergency Medicine 15
Columbia Hosp/St. Lucie, FL
Summa Health, OH
OUCOM/St John Med Ctr, OH
OSUCOM/Southwest Med Ctr, OK
Christus Spohn Mem Hosp, TX
U Nevada Affil Hosps, NV
St Lukes' Hosp-Allentown, PA
South Pointe Hosp, OH
Synergy Med Ed Alliance, MI
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr, MI
UNECOM/Kent Hosp, RI
U Kentucky Med Ctr, KY
U Iowa Hosps & Clinics, IA
NYCOM/Newark Beth Is/St Barnabas, NJ
WVSOM/Ohio Valley Med Ctr/WV

Family Medicine 28
LECOM/St Petersgurg Gen Hosp, FL
U Colorado, Fam Med/Swedish, CO
Camp Pendleton, CA
Clarkson Fam Med, NE
St Anthony North, CO
U of Wyoming, Casper, WY
Travis AF Base, CA
UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft. Worth, TX
U Oklahoma COM, OK
UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME
UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME
NSUCOM/North Broward Hosp, FL
MWU-CCOM/Advocate Bromenn Med, IL
OSUCOM/St Anthony Hosp, OK
OSUCOM/Southeastern OK, OK
U Kansas SOM-Wichita, KS
UMDNJSOM/AHS Overlook, NJ
WESTUCOMP/St Mary's Pueblo, CO
Camp Pendleton, CA
Ft. Bragg, NC
Firelands Reg Med Ctr, OH
PCOM/Pinnaclehealth Hosp, PA
Via Christi Reg Med Ctr, KS
UTMB-Texas
KCOM/U of WY, Casper, WY
OSUCOM/Med Ctr Southeastern, OK
OSUCOM/Med Ctr Southeastern, OK
TUCOM-CA/Valley Hosp Med Ctr, NV

FM/EM 1
Aria Health, PA

Internal Medicine 25
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
U Colorado, Denver, CO
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
MWU-AZCOM/Verde Valley, AZ
William Beaumont Med Ctr, TX
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
TUCOM-CA/Valley Hosp Med Ctr, NV
OK State Univ Med Ctr, OK
UNTHSCTCOM/Bay Area Corpus Chris, TX
NSUCOM/North Broward Hosp, FL
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
NSUCOM/Largo Med Ctr, FL
VCOM/Lewis Gale Hosp, VA
Exempla St. Joe Hosp, CO
Ingham Reg Med Ctr, MI
MSUCOM/St Joseph Mercy Oakland, CA
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
Parkview Med Ctr, CO
Banner Good Sam, AZ
UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft Worth, TX
UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft Worth, TX
USAF Med Ctr (Keesler) Biloxi, MS

IM/EM
St John Providence Health Sys, MI

Neurology
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

OB/GYN 6
Tripler AF Base/Grant Med, HI
St John Providence Health Sys, MI
Botsford Hosp, MI
Brooke Army Med Ctr, TX
Metro Health Hosp, MI
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

Ortho Surgery 2
St. Louis, MO
OUCOM/Doctor's Hosp, OH

Oto Facial & Plastic Surg 1
OK State U Med Ctr, OK

Pathology 1
LSU, LA

Pediatrics 11
OUCOM/Doctors Hosp, OH
NSUCOM/N Broward Hosp, FL
OK State U Med Ctr, OK
U Conn Health Ctr, CT
Columbia Hosp/Palms West, FL
Childrens Mercy Hosp, MO
U Wisconsin Hosp & Clin, WI
U Conn Health Ctr, CT
Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL
U Arizona Affil Hosps, AZ
UTMB Galveston, TX

Psychiatry 4
U IL Methodist Med Ctr, IL
Baylor Col Med, TX
Univ of HI
Columbia Hosp/University, FL

Radiology 2
OUCOM/Grandview Hosp, OH
Drexel Univ Hahnemann Hosp, PA

Surgery 4
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA
Pontiac Osteo Hosp, MI
St Louis Univ SOM, MO
Naval Hosp (San Diego) CA

Traditional 12
St Joseph-Mercy, Pontiac, MI
LECOM/Wellington Med Ctr, FL
WESTUCOMP/Riverside Cty Reg, CA
Eisenhower Army Med Ctr, GA
Millcreek Comm Hosp, PA
Naval Hosp (Portsmouth) VA
KYCOM/Our Lady of Bellefonte, KY
Good Sam Reg Med Ctr, Corvalis, OR
Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA
UNECOM/Berkshire Med Ctr, MA
Chino Valley Med Ctr, CA
OUCOM/Affinity Med Ctr, OH

Sweet! Seeing that list makes me very happy! Nice job class of 2012!!

I can't believe 11 gas matches! No derm though???

I believe dr Dubin said no one applied derm, as far as he could remember.

Sent from my Epic Touch

I thought that was a possibility, but didn't want to assume one way or the other!

Congrats to the Class of 2012! This is exciting news, and definitely starts RVU on the road to being a force to be reckoned with in the DO community. :)

Looking forward to applying this year and hoping for a great interview and an acceptance from RVU. :xf:

Just withdrew my acceptance at RVUCOM. I hope this means an open seat for someone else!

Best of luck to everyone still waiting