RVU-SU vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reinita

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what your thoughts are on RVU vs DMU. I've done tons of research on these schools but just can't seem to settle my mind on one or the other.

I visited RVU-SU and was completely blown away. Aside from the obvious nice and shiny new(er) campus, the student body was extremely friendly, seemed to have branched out widely within the past year in terms of rotations offered, brag about top COMLEX scores for the past few years, and provide additional tracks to participate in which include research. They also made a point that they don't at all push family med, which was important to me. While it is a new campus, they did a great job of selling the idea that it is the same school, as lectures are about 50/50 in person or shared with the Colorado campus. Some go as far to say as this doesn't even matter since they don't attend the classes anyway and they aren't mandatory. The location was absolutely beautiful, but my only drawback is distance as I am from Iowa. I'm also wondering if DMU's reputation of being established and one of the founding 5 would make it a better program to attend.

DMU, ah, right here in my backyard. I've wanted to attend DMU since I was starting undergrad and even pursued postbac work here during a gap year. A HUGE plus is that it's right here at home, but in my attempts to get their attention via being active on campus and a past rejection, I feel left with a jaded feeling. I don't know if it's because I wasn't a DO student that when I was on campus I felt invisible. I'm just not sure if the campus culture matches with me. That being said, I like the flexibility in rotation electives and I know DMU always has a ton of research going on, although I'm not sure if it's as easy to be a part of as RVU's elective programs through years 1 and 2. Another bonus is their ample amount of study spaces and huge library. Also, I've heard from some community leaders that the administration is rocky here, anyone think that would affect student outcomes?

Both schools send similar amounts of students to competitive residencies and with locations around the nation. In general, I would just like to hear thoughts/comments and pros/cons of each school that you may have heard from others or have experienced yourself. Feeling torn, any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
RVU= rocky vista & DMU = demois right?

I’d say DMU. They’re a well established brand name school. That’s a huge plus for matching down the line

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I'd choose DMU. I'm in the process of trying to pick a school and am leaning towards DMU amongst others (despite living pretty far away).

Reason being, I feel that DMU is going to provide the most opportunity. As an established school (original 5), DMU has been churning out physicians for 100+ years. While RVU has shown promise, it's still relatively new (especially the UT campus). The things that stood out to me with regards to DMU - 1) Nearly 90% of their students match ACGME. 2) Top 5 board scores among DO schools. 3) 100+ years of alumni practicing around the country.

With uncertainties looming with regards to the merger and opening of newer DO schools, I feel more comfortable attending an established school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'd choose DMU. I'm in the process of trying to pick a school and am leaning towards DMU amongst others (despite living pretty far away).

Reason being, I feel that DMU is going to provide the most opportunity. As an established school (original 5), DMU has been churning out physicians for 100+ years. While RVU has shown promise, it's still relatively new (especially the UT campus). The things that stood out to me with regards to DMU - 1) Nearly 90% of their students match ACGME. 2) Top 5 board scores among DO schools. 3) 100+ years of alumni practicing around the country.

With uncertainties looming with regards to the merger and opening of newer DO schools, I feel more comfortable attending an established school.

+1

+2

Literally, my only con about DMU was the location. You are from Iowa so the location is presumably a plus. I would say DMU all the way.
Between Utah and Des Moines you give the con to DMU?
I'm going to give the pro to DMU between the two and I'm from FL

I meant for me Des Moines was the only con for DMU compared to other schools I was considering because I don't want to live in Iowa. I also don't want to live in Utah, so I see your point.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a con at all, but I totally understand looking back at my post that it appears that way. I think I was just shocked by how much I liked RVU but I'm still extremely interested in DMU. Was just feeling conflicted by the surprise peak of interest out there.