RVU - UT vs PNWU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm accepted at these schools and have been wrestling the decision the last few weeks. I want to decide by 5/1 when the final $1000 deposit is due.

I'm a non-trad going the DO route after no love from MD schools. Not crazy about FM or primary care (though who knows maybe my tune will change). Currently my interests are general surgery/trauma, EM, and IM (cards specifically). Looking for any objective feedback on my two options.

RVU-UT
Pros
  • academics from CO campus appear strong, board scores and recent match lists are very competitive for DO, feel the curriculum will prepare me best for boards (I know this also rests largely on the individual but school does play into it too)
  • require USMLE
  • rural and wilderness medicine track speaks to me, see myself being a doc living in a ski town in twenty years
  • brand new facilities w/ focus on hands on training via sim labs, full cadaver dissections
  • lots of recreational things outside of school for the very few free hours a month (hiking, golfing, biking, skiing)
Cons
  • rotations not set, very uncertain
  • ~half of lectures will be simulcasted from CO campus (per dean at interview), this may work for some, but I learn best by going to live lecture, not crazy about "tuning in"
  • pre-clinical grades assigned (A/B/C), though this could be motivating in some respects
  • no upper classes to consult with on campus (could reach out to CO students but different when they aren't there in the building)
  • research opportunities unknown (DO, so limited anyway), aiming to get another 1-2 publications during school to help with residency (currently have 2, journal of vascular surgery and Am. journal of cardiology)
  • desert location (I'm very fond of 4 seasons of weather), not to mention 100 F weather + business casual dress code isn't great
  • didn't get to see facilities as still under construction
PNWU-COM
Pros
  • location much more my style, 4 seasons of weather
  • allows me to develop relationships in an area I could see myself living (Pac-NW) and where its hard to integrate into as an outsider later for residency from what I have read
  • pass/fail, no pre-clinical grades, slightly less stressful, all lectures in person
  • upper classes present on campus, able to give input/feedback/tips
  • also many recreational opportunities
  • nice, newer building (though not brand new), full cadaver dissections
Cons
  • mixed reviews on rotations
  • during interview day seemed to be a large focus on OMM, as a future DO I'll train in it, but I'm not on the OMM train as of now (maybe my tune will change)
  • simulation training not as robust, no surigical sim suite, though still offered
  • heavy focus on primary care/FM, match list less impressive
  • does not require USMLE and at interview felt like there was very little emphasis on it ("all programs are required to accept COMLEX, so you don't need to bother with USMLE")
Non-factors:
  • cost, both are about the same and as of now loans are not needed
  • location w/r to family/SO. I moved across country for college and was never "home sick". My focus is school, the rest of life will work itself out.
Final Thoughts: As of now, I'm leaning toward RVU based of its seemingly stronger academics and that graduates seem to match very well. However, I also know that a larger part of school is being happy in your environment so that is what PNWU offers me.

Members don't see this ad.