RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any idea how many people will be taken off the waitlist and how long it may take to hear back if you are on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any idea how many people will be taken off the waitlist and how long it may take to hear back if you are on it?

No clue but maybe call admissions if you haven't already, they'd be able to offer more insight than we can. I was waitlisted last year and didn't get off, but I was placed on it in mid April...

I am accepted!! I almost fell out of my chair when I recieved the call today! See you all soon!!

RVU CLASS OF 2014!!:biglove::biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they are still interviewing? And if people will be interviewing for wait-list spots only?

Does anyone know if they are still interviewing? And if people will be interviewing for wait-list spots only?

I do not know for sure, but when I interviewed in mid April last year, they still had a few spots open. I think I was in the 2nd or 3rd to last interview group, though. You could probably call and ask, they're pretty accommodating on the phone.

Yes, they're still interviewing.

They have some seats still open I believe.

Is your secondary in? If so, feel free to call them and ask the status. They really dont mind calls. Good luck-

I have been calling RVU all day today, I need to pay my deposit, but no one, and I mean NO One is picking up!!! And the extension to the business office is not working. Does anyone know another number that i can try? I don't think they're on spring break yet:scared:

I have been calling RVU all day today, I need to pay my deposit, but no one, and I mean NO One is picking up!!! And the extension to the business office is not working. Does anyone know another number that i can try? I don't think they're on spring break yet:scared:

We actually had an unexpected snow day today! The whole university shut down and no one is in the office today. If your deposit was due today I wouldn't sweat it. Call first thing Monday and they will take care of you

Agree with the above.

Does RVUCOM, as it is a school with provisional accreditation and for-profit, run a risk of obtaining a stigma in the community which would prevent students from obtaining residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does RVUCOM, as it is a school with provisional accreditation and for-profit, run a risk of obtaining a stigma in the community which would prevent students from obtaining residencies?

Some people find this to be a hot topic. However, the general consensus is no. This is likely because neither of those factors matter when you see a med student/doctor in the hospital. As long as they're knowledgeable and do the work, they'll be just as competitive to residency directors.

That said, a handful of people are very vocal about their dislike for the 'for-profit' status. Obviously, being an RVU student, I disagree with them.

The tax status means nothing in the quality of education, as all of my classmates can attest to.

Is this an answer you're looking for, or do you want some other info? There are a few threads you can search for that will show you the other side's opinions if you're interested. Keep in mind they are, by far, the minority.

Hello, everyone.

I'm another applicant at RVU-COM, and have an interview coming up! I've visited RVU, and really look forward to going. I've been reading these forums for a while, and figured now is a good time to log in and say hi...

Good luck to you if you're an applicant!

Last edited:
boone95-

Thanks for the information. I don't really mind what others believe or don't believe regarding the ethics of being a medical student. A medical student is a medical student is a medical student, regardless of the institution.

One more question- do you think the school will be accredited by 2014?

Short answer is yes and no.

For profit status is a hot topic. There are a lot of people out there that are very, very againist it. This will undoubtably affect what residencies the students get. Keep that in mind when applying and interviewing. Your options will be limited than another school.

However, if a school knows you and you have rotated there, this will be much less of an issue. Nonetheless, expect the allopathic world (where more than 3/4 of osteo students apply) to look at the first few grads with
skepticism.

The tax status means nothing in the quality of education, as all of my classmates can attest to.

Actually it does. Let's look at the for-profit educational institutions in the country- Devry, ECPI, University of Phoenix. Not exactly a good track record.

Now let's look at for profit medical school- the carribean schools. Again, a terrible track record.

While superficially the tax status looks like it does not impact the quality of education but the thing is, the education will always take a backseat to the profits of the owner. If they have to decide between profits and cutting corners, they will either raise tuition or cut the corners.

boone95-

Thanks for the information. I don't really mind what others believe or don't believe regarding the ethics of being a medical student. A medical student is a medical student is a medical student, regardless of the institution.

One more question- do you think the school will be accredited by 2014?

The thing is it has nothing to do with ethics. It has to do with your future. If you as a student don't change much, why go to a school that could limit your opportunities? It doesn't make sense.

I have said it before, if you have other acceptances, you would be a fool to choose RVU.

I appreciate your candor. Given that, what if I don't get in anywhere else? Am I dooomed if I were to attend RVU?

In other words, if I were to not be accepted anywhere else, would I be better off rejecting the offer from RVUCOM and re-applying for this year than accepting the offer and attending medical school this year?

Thanks for your replies. Yes, my secondary is complete, but I did apply late. I'll keep my hopes up for an interview!

The thing is it has nothing to do with ethics. It has to do with your future. If you as a student don't change much, why go to a school that could limit your opportunities? It doesn't make sense.

I have said it before, if you have other acceptances, you would be a fool to choose RVU.

Call me a fool, but I chose them over other great schools. They offered me a decent tuition, it's close to home and to my entire support network, I'll have zero living expenses, and the dream that brought me to medicine was to be a family doctor or EM physician, not an otolayrngologist.

It's all about what matters to you.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of for-profit education. I really, really wish Yife Tien was a philanthropist instead of a businessman. But, Colorado is #49 out of 50 in state funding for education. Are we going to get another med school in the near future? No. How many family doctors does CU-Denver (albeit a wonderful school) produce per year? Perhaps 5-10? RVU has a legitimate reason to exist.

Call me a fool, but I chose them over other great schools. They offered me a decent tuition, it's close to home and to my entire support network, I'll have zero living expenses, and the dream that brought me to medicine was to be a family doctor or EM physician, not an otolayrngologist.

It's all about what matters to you.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of for-profit education. I really, really wish Yife Tien was a philanthropist instead of a businessman. But, Colorado is #49 out of 50 in state funding for education. Are we going to get another med school in the near future? No. How many family doctors does CU-Denver (albeit a wonderful school) produce per year? Perhaps 5-10? RVU has a legitimate reason to exist.

Agreed 100%. I also chose RVU over another DO school for various reasons. No one can pass judgment on an institution without first hand experience therein. A fool can be defined as one who believes otherwise.

In other words, if I were to not be accepted anywhere else, would I be better off rejecting the offer from RVUCOM and re-applying for this year than accepting the offer and attending medical school this year?

Don't make your decision based on any 1 of our opinions. Everybody wants something different. If you have specific concerns, contact the school, or students from that school. Think about what you want in a school and go from there.

Also, don't compare RVU to Devry or a Caribbean school... because RVU adheres to the same standards that EVERY DO school in the country adheres to. Compare apples with apples.

Obviously, Instatewaiter and I have fundamental disagreements. I did choose RVU over a few other schools, and I haven't regretted a moment of it. RVU WILL be accredited as soon as I graduate (May 2012).

Could any of you post a pdf of the daily schedule of classes at RVU, with times? I just want an idea of what a week looks like...

Thanks!

No. Go to RVU then.

Have the accepted students started their titers yet? I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it done before the July deadline, doesn't seem possible. Does that mean I won't be able to do any shadowing when I start school? (I haven't even started them yet, btw...I know, I know:()

This being my first post, I just would like to congratulate everybody who got into RVU. I'm really looking forward to meeting you all!

Have the accepted students started their titers yet? I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it done before the July deadline, doesn't seem possible. Does that mean I won't be able to do any shadowing when I start school? (I haven't even started them yet, btw...I know, I know:()

As long as you are imminue to Hep. B., you shouldn't have any trouble getting this done before the deadline. I just got mine done couple weeks ago and I was immune to everything meaning that I didn't need any booster shots/vaccinations (thank god!). And I got my titer results in three days. But if you find out that you are not immune to Hep. B., then I would call the office and get an answer to your question.

You've got 3 months. Get on the ball now and you'll be good to go. Don't put it off any longer though!

thanks, just got my appointments set up. Hopefully this will be short and sweet! :D

Hey guys,

Im doing my loan stuff now and am wondering what programs are all of you getting your loans from? Whats the best option?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Im doing my loan stuff now and am wondering what programs are all of you getting your loans from? Whats the best option?

Thanks

RVU health professions loan. It's essentially the same as a GradPlus loan. You just go through the financial aid office. They have a form they want back, which I'm guessing is on MyVista.

I don't know of any other options that are at all comparable.

I used this loan last year and it's just fine. If you don't need to take out the whole amount, that's even better.

Hey guys, I have some questions about RVUCOM and the military HSPS:

1.) What is the interest on the loans that they offer?
2.) Are Federal loans going to be available to the students within the next four years?
3.) Does the loan have a furlow option for repayment? (like the Federal loans do for 10 years or so)
4.) Is it believed that residency options or future employment will be affected by the "for-profit" status?
5.) Does the military require that the four years contract be served before residency is completed?
6.) Would the military be able to call physicians back into service (as they can indefinitely for officers) even after the four years of service (as per the HSPS contract, assuming the scholarship is taken for all four years of medical school) is completed?

What do you guys think that the newness of the school will have regarding an effect on residency options? (Just that it doesn't yet have a well-developed reputation due to its recent inception as a medical college...)

Hey guys, I have some questions about RVUCOM and the military HSPS:

1.) What is the interest on the loans that they offer?
2.) Are Federal loans going to be available to the students within the next four years?
3.) Does the loan have a furlow option for repayment? (like the Federal loans do for 10 years or so)
4.) Is it believed that residency options or future employment will be affected by the "for-profit" status?
5.) Does the military require that the four years contract be served before residency is completed?
6.) Would the military be able to call physicians back into service (as they can indefinitely for officers) even after the four years of service (as per the HSPS contract, assuming the scholarship is taken for all four years of medical school) is completed?

1. 8.5%
2. Available starting Fall of 2012
3. Not sure what this means... but you don't have to start repaying until year 1 or 2 of residency.
4. Addressed already.
5. It's served during and after residency, continuously.
6. Better answered in the military threads.
7. Addressed already.

1. 8.5%
2. Available starting Fall of 2012
3. Not sure what this means... but you don't have to start repaying until year 1 or 2 of residency.
4. Addressed already.
5. It's served during and after residency, continuously.
6. Better answered in the military threads.
7. Addressed already.

Thanks boone95; I appreciate it! I am excited to go, I am just making sure that everything is truly as good as it seems to be.

I guess that, just for posterity, I'll post and say that I changed my mind and decided not to go to RVU. I talked to too many doctors at work (in Denver) who advised me strongly to go elsewhere. I want to practice here in CO eventually and they all pretty much said to go to a better-known school and try to match back to CO afterward, with a well-known name on your CV and the guarantee of a strong clinical education.

I am sure that RVU will turn out fantastic, compassionate doctors. I just don't want to risk getting my residency application disregarded just because of a school name and idiotic politics. Politics suck. You'd think people with a science background would know better.

So, off I go to a more expensive school. Oh well. Hope I'm making the right decision, and best of luck to everyone.

RVUCOM vs. ATSU-SOMA? Opinions? I am accepted into both and am racking my brain ridiculous about the decision. I don't know if I want to specialize or go into primary care as of yet.

Question for everyone- I will call the school first thing tomorrow morning but was hoping that maybe someone on here would also know. I just got my titers done last week and will get the results Monday. I was almost 100% sure that I had the hep B series when I was younger, so I didn't think I had anything to worry about. However, I just got off the phone with my mom who just checked my records...and I have not had them. So I will of course be able to get the first two in the series done, but not the last in the series before class starts. I know this was discussed a bit previously, but was wondering if anyone knows what happens if the last in the series is not complete by the first day of class? Anyone else in the same boat? Thank you!

Question for everyone- I will call the school first thing tomorrow morning but was hoping that maybe someone on here would also know. I just got my titers done last week and will get the results Monday. I was almost 100% sure that I had the hep B series when I was younger, so I didn't think I had anything to worry about. However, I just got off the phone with my mom who just checked my records...and I have not had them. So I will of course be able to get the first two in the series done, but not the last in the series before class starts. I know this was discussed a bit previously, but was wondering if anyone knows what happens if the last in the series is not complete by the first day of class? Anyone else in the same boat? Thank you!

After the first 2 in the series, your titers should be sufficient. The third, I believe, is more for long-term immunity. What did the school say when you called?

Worse case scenario, you start the series NOW, and you'll have your third by November and will still be able to take part in the clinical experiences.

I talked with Linda- who is so nice by the way- and she told me that I did not need to have all 3 in the series done before school started but I just needed to be in the process of recieving the vaccinations. Huge relief.

Also every person I have talked to- staff, professors, students etc from this university have been so nice! I feel so happy/blessed to be accepted into this program and want to start tomorrow!

Congratulations to the class of 2014 on your acceptances! I will be applying for the class of 2015 and I am just wondering what stats those of you had who were accepted (GPA, MCAT...) I currently have a 3.7 cGPA and a 3.6sGPA and I am taking the MCAT in June (I will probably get a 25-28, but aiming for 30)

Thanks!

I interviewed on the 31st and they are supposed to meet today to make decisions. I keep looking at the clock and hoping they'll call. I'm supposed to be writing up my Ochem paper but I can't concentrate!

Got accepted! Received the call about an hour ago.

Good luck to everyone else. :)

Got accepted! Received the call about an hour ago.

Good luck to everyone else. :)

Congratulations! Was your interview on the 31st?
I interviewed on the 31st and they are supposed to meet today to make decisions. I keep looking at the clock and hoping they'll call. I'm supposed to be writing up my Ochem paper but I can't concentrate!

It seems they finished everything up about 5 pm, and then notified us. I interviewed on the 31st, too, and liked everyone in our interview group... So, hopefully you got in. See you all around...

Last edited:
I got an email saying that I got put on the alternate list. It's ok though, I got accepted to AZCOM!!!

I got an email saying that I got put on the alternate list. It's ok though, I got accepted to AZCOM!!!

Congrats! Funny thing is that I am on AZCOM's alternate list... :)