RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was blown hugely out of proportion and very exaggerated. Our school is being run even better now than it was before.

I REALLY get the impression that RVU is better run than A LOT of the other schools. Just really organized in general and that makes me feel even more comfortable about packing up and moving cross country to go there!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all

I receive an invite to interview last night for the end of Jan.

I have a question of current RVU students....

How are you all paying for the school without federal loans? Do you know, when feds will allow students to take out loans to pay for RVU?

Not a student YET but I asked this in my interview...After they graduate a class they gain full accreditation and access to Title IV loans. So for us, hopefully only 2 years without Title IV loans :)

Does anyone have an idea of how many students have been given an acceptance at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when does the first class graduate? If they started in 2006 (i think that's what I read) then should they gain accreditation this summer when they graduate the first batch?

So when does the first class graduate? If they started in 2006 (i think that's what I read) then should they gain accreditation this summer when they graduate the first batch?

It was started in 2006 but didn't actually open up for applications until 2007 and the first class started in 2008, so their first batch is done in 2012, they take their step I this summer.

I'm going to have a phone conversation with someone attending Touro in NY but i'm 95% sure I'm going to RVU. Is that where you're headed as well? I recall you being accepted, I wasn't sure if this was where you're headed for sure.

I'm sending in my second deposit today. So as of now, all signs point to my attending RVU next year.

I have not received any interview invites yet. Does anyone know how many students have already been accepted and how many slots are open yet? Very curious, because I see a lot of acceptances and it is already January!

miruvntr24

From what I've heard and been through RVU is very stingy and selective with its interview offerings. Which is nice because at least they don't waste your time and money. From what I remember previously in this thread, about a few weeks ago we were speculating at about 70 slots filled. So my guess (entirely a guess) I'm thinking there are probably around 100 slots filled out of a class of 160ish.

Does anybody know how long it takes to get from Denver International Airport to RVU? Google is telling me about 30 minutes, admissions told me 45 min...anybody in the area that could give me a better idea?

Does anybody know how long it takes to get from Denver International Airport to RVU? Google is telling me about 30 minutes, admissions told me 45 min...anybody in the area that could give me a better idea?

30 is closer to the truth, I think it took me about 35 min but I got a little lost after I got off the freeway.

Anybody interviewing on Jan. 19 ??

I called the admissions office today to see if they had received my LORs ( I just submitted my Sec 01/03) and the lady told me that they had already reviewed my app and put me on a waitlist. Has anybody else gotten this before? and about how long before you heard anything back...good or bad?
thanks so much! Just trying to get an idea

I'm sending in my second deposit today. So as of now, all signs point to my attending RVU next year.

Congrats and Good Luck! :)
Just wondering ...did the school give any direction on how to fund the tuition and cost of living and if recommended certain banks to go thru? since no federal loans are available (at least for the next two years)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats and Good Luck! :)
Just wondering ...did the school give any direction on how to fund the tuition and cost of living and if recommended certain banks to go thru? since no federal loans are available (at least for the next two years)

They have their own loan program that you can use or "any other bank you want" basically. You got waitlisted without first being interviewed? How does that work? I got an email earlier in the admissions cycle saying I had been wait listed approx 2 weeks before my interview... it proved to be an error.

Last edited:
I would assume it means a wait list for an interview. A lot of schools hang on to applications to review them again later to see if they want to offer an interview once they have more applicants to look at. Although, we are pretty late in the cycle. I'm not sure why they would delay decisions any more.

I have an interview invite for the 27th. Any hints on best place to stay?

I have an interview invite for the 27th. Any hints on best place to stay?

Hotel Gold Crown was really decent.. free tx to and from the interview and they had a nice little gym and heated indoor pool. I had a 2-room suite for 75 bucks...not bad in my book.

It's official sent in my deposit today!! Anyone else happy to be going to RVU? Make some noise people !!

yay! Where are you guys looking into living? There seem to be a lot of options near by the school.

any idea on the cost of living in the area?

Congrats Bones and Brocimus. A little RVU love on here is always nice. I haven't looked into the living a whole lot yet, but I think I will go into one of the places near the school. I have the advantage of living in CO, so I just might go check them all out first and see what they are like. If anyone has any CO specific questions I can help with let me know.

any idea on the cost of living in the area?

From what I can gather, it's a heck of a lot lower than what I'm used to from where I did undergrad in Fairfield, CT. Nice sized 2 br place (over 1k sq ft) is between 690 and 780 from the places I've looked at so far, and many of them have laundry built into them, something that was unheard of where I used to live. So I'm pretty excited about it!

Parker itself can be pricey, but if you look a bit further, say into Aurora, you can get some real housing bargains.

Parker itself can be pricey, but if you look a bit further, say into Aurora, you can get some real housing bargains.

Hey I don't mind a 15 min commute or so, esp since I pull an hour (in good weather) each way right now for work. Anything 50% or less of that would be amazing to me :)

Thanks for the info!

I've got a 900 ish sq ft place (1.5 bedroom which is pretty much 2 bedroom), and it is 775 a month. I've got washer and dryer here, a fireplace, there's a fitness room, and it's a nice place. I'd say that's pretty standard pricing, of course you can go up or a little down from there.

Not sure what the housing in Aurora is like. I'm about 10 minutes from the lecture hall.

The school has compiled a list of apartments in the area. Email Zea to get that if you want.

Hi all

Thank you for the input on housing. I definitely looking forward to my interview at RVU. From what i read, it looks like a nice school. Would love to go there. I'll have to look at the rental links. Hope to see you all in the 2014 class. ;-)

Did you guys pay your deposits on the portal? or did you mail in checks??

thanks!

Hi all

Thank you for the input on housing. I definitely looking forward to my interview at RVU. From what i read, it looks like a nice school. Would love to go there. I'll have to look at the rental links. Hope to see you all in the 2014 class. ;-)

Good luck BrainBox!! :xf::xf::xf::luck:

Hey everyone! Congrats for those that are joining us at RVU next fall and good luck to those still waiting for answers!
Just so you know, there is a group on facebook for class of 2014 as well as RVUCommunity where people like to share their questions/answers and get advice from current RVU'ers:) I rarely visit this site but would me more than happy to answer any questions on FB or via email:)

Hey everyone! Congrats for those that are joining us at RVU next fall and good luck to those still waiting for answers!
Just so you know, there is a group on facebook for class of 2014 as well as RVUCommunity where people like to share their questions/answers and get advice from current RVU'ers:) I rarely visit this site but would me more than happy to answer any questions on FB or via email:)

Thanks for the info I'm joined up on the FB group now :)

Do you guys think RVUCOM will let me defer an year?

Yes, I heard of someone doing it last year while at my first interview. . . care to share why you're looking to defer? I'm sure if you explain your situation, whatever it may be, they will work with you.

Any word on how many seats are left?
I am so anxious to get an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any word on how many seats are left?
I am so anxious to get an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet if you called you could get an answer to that question, but I think it's probably half-ish full at this point.

RVUCOM C/O 2014!!!!!

Took me long enough to get on here after my acceptance but I'm SUPER excited to come to colorado and RVUCOM. Easily the school I felt most at home at. Also excited to meet everyone in August.

RVUCOM C/O 2014!!!!!

Took me long enough to get on here after my acceptance but I'm SUPER excited to come to colorado and RVUCOM. Easily the school I felt most at home at. Also excited to meet everyone in August.

Welcome and congratulations!

Congrats to all accepted and good luck to Brain Box, I think he/she said his/her interview was at the end of Jan, should be coming up soon right?

Anyone else moving cross country for this? I'm finding out that its going to be a fairly costly enterprise...

Hey guys and gals,

I started a c/o 2014 thread for RVU in the osteo forum. Figured we should have one, even tho most of us use facebook more than this thread, but FB is blocked at my job so I can't join in the fun as much...so come post on there! :)

Just got the invitation to interview at RVUCOM! My first one :)

Since it seems pretty standard, for those who are curious, my stats follow:

Undergrad GPA: 2.85 (BS in Biochemistry)
Graduate GPA: 3.7 (MA in Bioethics)
MCATs:
4/2005: 39P (15-p, 13-v, 11-b)
7/2008: 37M (13-p, 12-v, 12-v)

Submitted secondary on 1/8/10

Here's an interesting article I ran across:
http://www.denverpost.com/emailed/ci_13535817

Curious as to what people thought about this:
"Rocky enrolled 162 new students this fall, chosen from 3,139 applications. The school, started by the owner of an American medical school in the Caribbean, had to put $30 million in an untouchable fund just in case it doesn't achieve full accreditation and has to send all of its students to other medical schools."

In a worst-case scenario, how are they going to manage sending students elsewhere? Should this lessen concerns about not being accredited right now?

Here's an interesting article I ran across:
http://www.denverpost.com/emailed/ci_13535817

Curious as to what people thought about this:
"Rocky enrolled 162 new students this fall, chosen from 3,139 applications. The school, started by the owner of an American medical school in the Caribbean, had to put $30 million in an untouchable fund just in case it doesn't achieve full accreditation and has to send all of its students to other medical schools."

In a worst-case scenario, how are they going to manage sending students elsewhere? Should this lessen concerns about not being accredited right now?

Yep, all true.

At this point, it looks like there we would worry more about a meteor striking the school that not being accredited. And, should such a thing happen, yes, we would be sent to other schools.

I don't think there should be any concern any how. But if for some reason you are concerned, yes, they 30 million should help ease your mind so that you know you'll graduate on time.

Ok so I had another question, I should have done this earlier, but as I was looking over the papers we have to print and sign there is one about direct physical exposure. Will this require that the clothing we wear expose part of our body? I don't have a problem with being touched, but I hold certain beliefs about exposure about my body. (I wouldn't wear a tank top and shorts)

I guess current student might know, but my interview is this Thurs. would it look bad if I called the school tmrw to clarify this?

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a DO school that doesn't require you to expose yourself in OMM lab. There are a handful of techniques that you will learn that require contact of the abdomen, shoulders, and back. The best way to learn to feel is by touching skin, not clothes. Early in your education you won't be able to feel much through clothes. For those reasons, women are required to wear sports bras and shorts.

The same is true for clinical medicine lab.

You should absolutely ask someone about your concern (at all schools you apply to).