RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the invitation to interview at RVUCOM! My first one :)

Since it seems pretty standard, for those who are curious, my stats follow:

Undergrad GPA: 2.85 (BS in Biochemistry)
Graduate GPA: 3.7 (MA in Bioethics)
MCATs:
4/2005: 39P (15-p, 13-v, 11-b)
7/2008: 37M (13-p, 12-v, 12-v)

Submitted secondary on 1/8/10

Sick MCAT. GL on your interview :)

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary at the beginning of Jan. Does Rocky Vista send any sort of completed application email? About how long does this take? Now that I'm done with all my applications, I'm antsy about waiting. Is it too soon to call and ask my status?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary at the beginning of Jan. Does Rocky Vista send any sort of completed application email? About how long does this take? Now that I'm done with all my applications, I'm antsy about waiting. Is it too soon to call and ask my status?

They send an email confirming that your secondary was completed (did you get that?). I dont think they send a file complete email. You can certainly call- it's been several weeks I'd call just to see whats up.

Ok so I had another question, I should have done this earlier, but as I was looking over the papers we have to print and sign there is one about direct physical exposure. Will this require that the clothing we wear expose part of our body? I don't have a problem with being touched, but I hold certain beliefs about exposure about my body. (I wouldn't wear a tank top and shorts)

I guess current student might know, but my interview is this Thurs. would it look bad if I called the school tmrw to clarify this?

During OMM class you do have to expose yourselves a little bit, but not always. There might be few occasions where you have to wear shorts or pull up your pants. If not sports bra, a shirt that need to be pulled up to check your spine. You will be paired up with opposite gender and there will be uncomfortable situations when working on Sacrum & Pelvic bone :eek:

Just got the invitation to interview at RVUCOM! My first one :)

Since it seems pretty standard, for those who are curious, my stats follow:

Undergrad GPA: 2.85 (BS in Biochemistry)
Graduate GPA: 3.7 (MA in Bioethics)
MCATs:
4/2005: 39P (15-p, 13-v, 11-b)
7/2008: 37M (13-p, 12-v, 12-v)

Submitted secondary on 1/8/10

DANG! Congrats on that 15! Good luck at your interview.

I have to say, most of the reservations I had about the school were gone after the interview. I loved the school! But I think I messed up my interview, I knew it was laid-back, but that kind of threw me off. I felt like my interviewers were fishing for answers from me, but I wasn't really sure what to say since they weren't really asking me direct questions.

I don't know, hopefully they liked me and I get in!:luck::xf::luck::xf:

:luck:The committee meets today! G'luck to everyone waiting, do post here when you hear something! (They said we would know today or tmrw by the latest.)

Last edited:
I know..... I am staring at my cell phone willing it to ring. :)

:luck:The committee meets today! G'luck to everyone waiting, do post here when you hear something! (They said we would know today or tmrw by the latest.)

What about for those who are still waiting for an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
RVU is very quick to set up interviews once you are complete (two weeks or so). :)

By the way, staring at my phone worked. I got the call! RVU 2014......Wooooo Hoooo!!!!!!!! :)

RVU is very quick to set up interviews once you are complete (two weeks or so). :)

By the way, staring at my phone worked. I got the call! RVU 2014......Wooooo Hoooo!!!!!!!! :)

I am trully happy for you... lol... hopefully i hear something soon

Finally got the call! For now it looks like I'll be RVU Class of 2014! When are our first deposits due? I kind of stopped listening and tried to calm myself down after I heard the congratulations..lol:love:

Congratulations! And that whole staring thing almost never happens! You were put out of your misery quick!

Congratulations! And that whole staring thing almost never happens!

I wasn't sure the staring would work but lately I've been practicing bending spoons with my mind so I figured I'd give it a shot ;)

Hi Guys

I'm in too! This is an amazing school! I can't wait to start. :D

Ok so I had another question, I should have done this earlier, but as I was looking over the papers we have to print and sign there is one about direct physical exposure. Will this require that the clothing we wear expose part of our body? I don't have a problem with being touched, but I hold certain beliefs about exposure about my body. (I wouldn't wear a tank top and shorts)

I guess current student might know, but my interview is this Thurs. would it look bad if I called the school tmrw to clarify this?

I don't think it would look bad to ask at all. I would agree with what most people have said in the past. OPP lab is something that is very hands on and to get good at it you must practice by palpitation.

On that note everything is kept very professional. We had people that had the same concern but quickly got over that and felt comfortable in no time. I will mention that women are expected to wear sports bras and shorts; men are expected to wear just shorts when needed. Many times when working on C-spine or upper limb for example we do not have to change into anything special.

If someone has a conflict with the requirement due to religion or something else such as that they should discuss this with the school. I am sure they would be happy to make arrangements with you as they are happy and willing to respect everyone's beliefs that comes to the school. Hope this helps.

THanks for all the replies I got concerning my issue. I have high hopes it will not cause any problems in my education

Hey congratulations to all you soon-to-be students! I've spent a lot of time going through this thread and researching the school... I have an interview next Thursday and I must say after everything I've just read I went from "I'll just go for the experience" to " maybe I'll actually go there if accepted." I'm still concerned and hope Yife-if I spelled that correctly- doesn't screw anything up for all of you. It seems as though the students definitely stand behind their school which is really cool.

I do have a question for the masses though. For the interview, they ask on MyVista to print out and SIGN forms documenting that we've read student hand book on so and so and other forms...where are they?? I didn't see them on MyVista and a search of their website was null. Can anyone help me with this please.:oops: THANKS and again great job!

The Student Handbook/Catalog can be found on the front page of the RVU website.

Hey congratulations to all you soon-to-be students! I've spent a lot of time going through this thread and researching the school... I have an interview next Thursday and I must say after everything I've just read I went from "I'll just go for the experience" to " maybe I'll actually go there if accepted." I'm still concerned and hope Yife-if I spelled that correctly- doesn't screw anything up for all of you. It seems as though the students definitely stand behind their school which is really cool.

I do have a question for the masses though. For the interview, they ask on MyVista to print out and SIGN forms documenting that we've read student hand book on so and so and other forms...where are they?? I didn't see them on MyVista and a search of their website was null. Can anyone help me with this please.:oops: THANKS and again great job!

http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/PDFs/RVUCatalog2009-10rev.pdf

Congrats to you guys that got in! I hope melissa and sincerity get interview invites soon. :xf:

Those who have gotten in, please post on

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=696946

at least a couple times, I look like a dufus over there all by myself!

Thanks, Bones. I called on Monday to ask my status and was informed that I am on pre-interview hold. The admissions office was VERY nice and told me that my less than ideal grades in Chemistry and Physics were the reason and that I had a great overall application. I sent a letter of interest to Julie Rosenthal today and I am hoping that this might get me an interview.

Thanks, Bones. I called on Monday to ask my status and was informed that I am on pre-interview hold. The admissions office was VERY nice and told me that my less than ideal grades in Chemistry and Physics were the reason and that I had a great overall application. I sent a letter of interest to Julie Rosenthal today and I am hoping that this might get me an interview.

Def keep us updated I hope it works out! :xf::xf:

I posted this on another RVU thread, but for the incorrect year. Re-posting in the current thread.

Hi everyone-- I'm matriculating as a first-year student at RVU and am very excited to begin! I called RVU's Clinical Affairs department and asked for a list of rotation sites, because it's getting toward the time for the first class to pick rotations.

No list was available- apparently still being finalized. I'm just curious which hospitals we'll all be at, whether I will have to relocate (i.e., I won't buy a place near Parker if I'll be doing my rotations in Fort Collins).

Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks!

I posted this on another RVU thread, but for the incorrect year. Re-posting in the current thread.

Hi everyone-- I'm matriculating as a first-year student at RVU and am very excited to begin! I called RVU's Clinical Affairs department and asked for a list of rotation sites, because it's getting toward the time for the first class to pick rotations.

No list was available- apparently still being finalized. I'm just curious which hospitals we'll all be at, whether I will have to relocate (i.e., I won't buy a place near Parker if I'll be doing my rotations in Fort Collins).

Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks!

We'll know a lot more in about 2-3 weeks, but for now...

About 1/2 the class will do core rotations in the Parker area (within an hour), and the other 1/2 will do theirs in Colorado Springs (within an hour, which includes Pueblo.

I believe we get to have input as to which location we get, but I don't know the details yet. It will likely be a lottery too.

Hospitals included on our list include: the Centura system, the Health One system, Memorial (in C Springs), and many other doctor's offices and a handful of other hospitals that I can't remember.

Should I be expecting something in the mail after the acceptance call? I just can't figure out when the deposit is due and where I send it? I seriously was too excited when I got the call, and really don't remember what she said:rolleyes:

We'll know a lot more in about 2-3 weeks, but for now...

Hospitals included on our list include: the Centura system, the Health One system, Memorial (in C Springs), and many other doctor's offices and a handful of other hospitals that I can't remember.

Thanks for the information! Do you know which hospitals you'll be at? For instance, with Centura, is it St. Anthony's or Porter? Those hospitals are very different, in terms of patient load, teaching (St. Anthony's has GME programs but Porter does not) etc.

Dazedaisy - you send the deposit to the office of admin and they'll know what to do with it. Also send in your form acceptance form. I think they send it to you or you can find another copy of it in myvista. If you need to know the due date I'm sure you can just call admissions back and ask them. Congrats.

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this and would really appreciate the help with some questions. I'm from NM and we do not have a osteopathic school here thus I have to apply out of state. I want to come back here to practice in underserved communities/rural areas but I read that RVU wants their students to practice in CO? Would I still have a chance if I want to come back here to NM??

From what I'm reading, RVUCOM sounds like an awesome school and I am actually doing my secondary now. I "feel late in the game". Does RVU do rolling admissions because they didn't tell us. Does anyone know this? Also, how long did it take for them to get back to you all about an interview?

Lastly, my LOR's don't meet what they want, meaning I dont have science professors or academic advisor letters. I do have the DO letter, an MD letter, a research professor (PhD), and another PhD. I'm not sure how to go about this because their slots to enter info on this doesn't give you an option to change what letters you are entering....

I know that was a lot, please help if you can. thank you!! :)

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this and would really appreciate the help with some questions. I'm from NM and we do not have a osteopathic school here thus I have to apply out of state. I want to come back here to practice in underserved communities/rural areas but I read that RVU wants their students to practice in CO? Would I still have a chance if I want to come back here to NM??

From what I'm reading, RVUCOM sounds like an awesome school and I am actually doing my secondary now. I "feel late in the game". Does RVU do rolling admissions because they didn't tell us. Does anyone know this? Also, how long did it take for them to get back to you all about an interview?

Lastly, my LOR's don't meet what they want, meaning I dont have science professors or academic advisor letters. I do have the DO letter, an MD letter, a research professor (PhD), and another PhD. I'm not sure how to go about this because their slots to enter info on this doesn't give you an option to change what letters you are entering....

Well I'm not from CO and want to come back to my homestate to practice, and I got accepted, so I don't think its going to hurt you. You of course, don't want to say that in your interview (it helps that I'm absolutely in love with CO, but just want to be close to family when I'm done) Their turn-around was pretty good with me, I think about a week or so. I couldn't really tell you much about the LORs, but give them a call, they are very friendly and would love to help! Good luck!

I've looked at some of UNM's residency slots, and they are filled by some DO students. I think that being a resident of that state would probably help you get back into one of those spots wherever you went to school. I know NM is in just as much need of physicians as CO. RVU does have rolling admissions, and the class I imagine is at least over 60% full, but that is just a guess. As far as your LOR's go, just put them in as best as you can now. I didn't have an advisor letter, so I just put in the info from one of my other letter writers. And lastly it took them about 2 weeks to let me know about an interview. They seem to really have it together in their admissions office. Good luck.

Hi there! I just got an interview invite with RVU! For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take for the school to get back to you after your interview to tell you that you were accepted? I saw one person said that she heard within the week! Was it like that for everyone? Thank you!

rayraydolly:

I interviewed on a Tuesday and found out the following Monday. RVU admissions committee meets every other Monday so depending on when your interview date is you could hear back rather quickly.

I could be wrong, but I believe that this was all dicussed here on the boards back when that post was made. The student that actually wrote that and acquired those signatures mislead the majority of the students that signed his "petition" for help. From what I remember that student was very disgruntled and transferred. Since then it has calmed down and they have hired a new dean and new board members. I think it was actually talked about in last year's class thread. I believe that you don't have much to worry about now in regards to that specific issue as it is almost 8 months old.

Glad to hear that has largely blown over or was swept under since it wasn't a good situation as far as we heard around Denver. What went down wasn't cool but at least it's H20 under the bridge for now. My suspected "disgruntled" :)D) friend and is top of her class and still attends the school as far as I know. I also hope those quality clinicals come through and the boards go well since that what matters now. Good luck

Hey guys I got in to RVU! cant wait to meet all of you! If youre interested in hiking and outdoorsy type stuff give me a call once school starts!

-Casey Fisher 7632181922

Yummy- awww

DrMan - congrats! ballsy posting your digits on an online forum too lol

Dr Laut - sorry! Hopefully you get off of there...the wait list is a nerve wracking place to be