RVUCOM-SU vs ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielblank313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've checked a lot of threads about comparing schools and I have some criteria I want to use in terms of making a decision. It's a really fortunate position I found myself in, being able to choose between schools when not too long ago I wasn't sure I'd get into any. Anyways, it's turning out to be a really difficult choice as deposits are coming up.

Both are new DO schools, both of their inaugural classes are in their third year. Cost is not something I need to consider.

Things that make me want to choose ARCOM
  • I enjoyed the city and the people in the community more than Utah.
  • Better rotation sites with higher quality (from what i understand at both interview day and research online). ARCOM involves more teaching hospitals and many have UAMS ACGME residencies. Plenty are nearby the school, the rest not too far.
  • They opened the school with the intention of creating GME for every student, approximately 200 residencies should be in Arkansas by the first classes graduation, per the president and CEO.
  • Significant research opportunities are available to students. (RVUCOM-SU had nearly nonexistent opportunity when I asked numerous faculty)
  • I feel like the attitude towards OMM from the faculty was less intense than at Utah.

Things that make me want to choose RVUCOM-SU
  • P/F preclinical grading by the time I matriculate. (ARCOM is A/B/C/F)
  • No mandatory attendance at any grade range. (ARCOM has mandatory attendance if you drop below an 80% average in the basic science courses, otherwise not required)
  • Preclinical curriculum is identical to RVUCOM-CO which has had incredible pass rates in both Step 1 and COMLEX for a DO school. (Same lectures, exams, grading cohorts as CO)
  • Mandatory USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX (I feel this shows the school understands that residency PDs are privy to Step 1 versus COMLEX in light of the merger).

I didn't see any red flags from either institutions. Both facilities were beautiful and fully equipped (Besides the research at RVUCOM-SU).

I know people change their minds, but in terms of specialties, I think there is an incredibly high chance that I'll be aiming for one of these:

Anesthesiology
Neurology (good chance)
Emergency Medicine (Most likely as of right now)
Radiology
Family Medicine
Internal Medicine (equally as likely as neurology)

I should also mention that I don't think I can see myself staying in Utah for residency (It wouldn't be bad though, just would avoid if I could), but I would see myself staying in Arkansas for residency. Afterwards, I'd likely move closer to home. Preference would be to do residency in NJ, NY, PA.

If there's any students at either school that could correct anything I've written down, or have anything to add further about them, please feel free to let me know! It might help other people in a similar situation as myself that might read in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably say ARCOM honestly. SU is a better location but your opportunity will probably be greater at ARCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
I would probably say ARCOM honestly. SU is a better location but your opportunity will probably be greater at ARCOM.

I was leaning this way but I keep thinking to myself about board scores. They should release officially but I've heard unofficially from some students that ARCOM first pass rate is going to be nearby 88% where SU is around 96% and they're both inaugural classes, so I don't know what to make of that statistic.

I was leaning this way but I keep thinking to myself about board scores. They should release officially but I've heard unofficially from some students that ARCOM first pass rate is going to be nearby 88% where SU is around 96% and they're both inaugural classes, so I don't know what to make of that statistic.

Board scores are on you. The difference is likely because ARCOM admits a greater amount of weaker students.

Reactions: 1 user