RWJMS vs Maryland vs Wisconsin vs Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petroleumjelly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd pick UW. It's the most prestigious/highly ranked of the schools you mentioned, Madison is awesome, and they have lots of strong residency programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd pick UW. It's the most prestigious/highly ranked of the schools you mentioned, Madison is awesome, and they have lots of strong residency programs.

The main issue I have is the grading scheme. Same thing at Maryland. Can anyone chime in?

The main issue I have is the grading scheme. Same thing at Maryland. Can anyone chime in?

I've said this before, but grading schemes really shouldn't factor in much when picking a school, if at all. For starters, preclinical grades are one of the less important factors in a competitive residency application (behind research, Step 1, LORs, and clinical grades).

Also, a P/F "unranked" school is mostly bull****, since pretty much every school has some form of stratification in their Dean's letters, as well as a form of ranking for AOA selection (can only be offered to top 25%). The idea that there is more preclinical "competition" at schools with grades is mostly overblown myth. My school had "tiered" preclinical grades (think H/HP/P/F) and our FB group was absolutely inundated with study guides and resources, advice for studying, etc. The gunnerish behavior really doesn't come out until third year when you're actually competing against your classmates.

I'd focus more on school prestige, research opportunities, clinical rotations, exposure to your fields of interest, cost, etc. Preclinical grading should be last on your list.