Rx Discount Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACE Rx

Super Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the point of these prescription discount cards when they charge you to run their prescription card only to sell your product at a reduced price? Why can't the pharmacy just override the price and charge a lower price instead of letting these cards take advantage of us? I never really understood this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the point of these prescription discount cards when they charge you to run their prescription card only to sell your product at a reduced price? Why can't the pharmacy just override the price and charge a lower price instead of letting these cards take advantage of us? I never really understood this.
Because your reimbursement rate from PBM's is tied to your cash price.

Members don't see this ad :)

when u price modify, it looks suspicious on LP reports. u can get written up for unusual activity. and no u won't get a moment to explain.

The discount card folks will try to convince you they're helping to bring more patients to your store. Or push products you otherwise wouldn't have sold in that time frame. Something like that. As long as you're making a profit, however small, most pharmacies seem to be okay with them. Though I haven't seen any pharmacy with such a high % of discount card users that it makes a material impact (positive or negative) on the store.

when u price modify, it looks suspicious on LP reports. u can get written up for unusual activity. and no u won't get a moment to explain.
another reason why chains suck - I worked at an independent during school - my boss basically told me to "be reasonable" with the cash paying customers - hell, I changed so many prices - I didn't know what I was doing - he basically said - just make sure you make at least $10 bucks a script - if they look like they can afford the full price, go ahead- well unless it is too much. It was always fun when they came in the next month and the price doubled because someone else was typing in the script.

Reactions: 1 user
That was the coolest thing about working at an independent - I was able to see the cost and profits on every single RX that was entered.

My company has a price modify function in the system that shows true cost for us. I'm allowed to use it when I think it's necessary and it's a great customer service tool to have. A lot of meds have seemingly random cash prices (very close margins vs over 10x cost). I can't imagine not having that tool available.

Anybody have issues with these PDC cards for weight loss drugs. The company PDC is for hospice care. Any suggestions?

Anybody have issues with these PDC cards for weight loss drugs. The company PDC is for hospice care. Any suggestions?

I don't usually allow discount cards for controls on people we don't know. Unless of course s/p surgery etc.

Much friggin less some bullcrap like phentermine.

Reactions: 1 user
If you already accept them, why not use your own discount card and make $1 or more per claim, if you're not comfortable with the morality of that distribute them to your competitors and profit off of them. PM if interested

Last edited:
I don't usually allow discount cards for controls on people we don't know. Unless of course s/p surgery etc.

Much friggin less some bullcrap like phentermine.

Thank you.. max discount stop bending your elbows so much and you can save 100% on this drug.