?'s for second time PCAT takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtgirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took it for the first time in Janurary...disappointing 70 comp. with 60's in chem, bio, and math. I have already registered for June.

How many have scored higher second time around? Any difference in preparing? I thought I did well...how can I not second guess all my answers when I don't know what was wrong the first time!?!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

mtgirl said:
I took it for the first time in Janurary...disappointing 70 comp. with 60's in chem, bio, and math. I have already registered for June.

How many have scored higher second time around? Any difference in preparing? I thought I did well...how can I not second guess all my answers when I don't know what was wrong the first time!?!

Thanks

To be honest, I didn't study nearly as much the second time! I think just knowing the general format of the test and having actually taken it before gives you a little bit of an advantage. I was definitely less nervous. I already read through the Kaplan book and had notes on all of the chapters so I basically just studied my notes again. I really wanted to raise my Chem and Bio scores (1st time I got a 74 and a 66, respectively) so I bought one of those tiny Organic Chem review books (similar to Cliff Notes) and went through that. It really helped me with the reactions and it wasn't nearly as overwhelming as opening my 40 lb. Orgo book from college! I'm also a pack rat when it comes to keeping old notebooks so I had all of my Chemistry tests from high school and college. They ended up being great review tools and I was able to pull my Chem score up to a 90%. For Bio, I stuck to the Kaplan book and went through lots of old Kaplan Biology questions. I really think practice is important. The more questions you can go through the easier it will becoming to train your brain to think quickly and accurately. I definitely recommend taking the practice tests offered by Harcourt as well as the ones found in the review books.

As far as you second-guessing yourself, I do the same exact thing! I ended up with 5+ minutes to spare at the end of the verbal section and changed several of my answers. Looking back, it was a big mistake! Unless you are 100% sure that the answer is wrong you shouldn't change it.

I took it in 2004 and again in 2005 and raised my score from an 86 to a 98. I agree with calrx, just having taken the test before will put you at a mental advantage. You already know the layout, the time constraints, the style of the questions....
Just review and do practice tests! That repetition will help you out a lot in my opinion. Focus on knowing the basics and getting comfortable timed test format. Good luck!

I don't know if anyone noticed this:

The PCAT test that I took in Jan 2005 was very very similar to the test that I took in Jan 2006. By very similar, I mean that the questions were maybe 50% identical if not more (it has been at least a year ago). I maybe have just been lucky and gotten the save version as I got last year since I haven't seen anyone else reporting this.

The Reading Comprehension section was IDENTICAL for me with the articles/questions being exactly as before.

Essay was different.
Chem/Bio/Math/Vocab maybe a little more different (isn't as easy to remember)

And definitely the second time around you will have an edge because of the experience. The first time I took it, the time flew by so fast and didn't realize the pace.

I got a 68 composite or so the first time with a 1% in Math (only bubbled in 10 questions, ran out of time)
I got 91 composite this Jan 2006, 97% in Math :]

Members don't see this ad :)
Phantom said:
I don't know if anyone noticed this:

The PCAT test that I took in Jan 2005 was very very similar to the test that I took in Jan 2006. By very similar, I mean that the questions were maybe 50% identical if not more (it has been at least a year ago). I maybe have just been lucky and gotten the save version as I got last year since I haven't seen anyone else reporting this.

The Reading Comprehension section was IDENTICAL for me with the articles/questions being exactly as before.

Essay was different.
Chem/Bio/Math/Vocab maybe a little more different (isn't as easy to remember)

And definitely the second time around you will have an edge because of the experience. The first time I took it, the time flew by so fast and didn't realize the pace.

I got a 68 composite or so the first time with a 1% in Math (only bubbled in 10 questions, ran out of time)
I got 91 composite this Jan 2006, 97% in Math :]

Wow! That's major improvement. How did you only bubble 10 questions on the math section? You didn't have time to even Christmas tree the rest? Well, Congrats, on your scores! :clap: How/What did you study to improve your math score? How about the rest of the sections? Did you eat, sleep, and live PCAT for a year? As for the tests being the same, I think that is an advantage to ppl who know that got the answer right the first time. However, if you're not sure the answer was right the first time, you won't know if you should stick with the same answer or pick another. If ppl are taking it for a second time, that probably means that had several wrong anwers somewhere and they want to improve their score.

highlyfavored said:
Wow! That's major improvement. How did you only bubble 10 questions on the math section? You didn't have time to even Christmas tree the rest? Well, Congrats, on your scores! :clap: How/What did you study to improve your math score? How about the rest of the sections? Did you eat, sleep, and live PCAT for a year? As for the tests being the same, I think that is an advantage to ppl who know that got the answer right the first time. However, if you're not sure the answer was right the first time, you won't know if you should stick with the same answer or pick another. If ppl are taking it for a second time, that probably means that had several wrong anwers somewhere and they want to improve their score.
I went into some depth on your questions but when I went to post it ask for sn/pw and the post went to oblivion.

All I'm going to say for now is think STRATEGY.

Math, Bio, and Chem were my areas that I thought I could do well in or improve on so I focused on that. A must is to get the PCAT SAMPLE to know what you are up against (the BASICS of every subject). Remember no calculators so don't go crazy with those calculating math/chem questions. Instead, focus on the basics and generalize the details.

My advice:

Take the PCAT ASAP while it is in its infancy. It's nothing like the other medical tests out there. It's probably even EASIER than the SAT. The later you take it, I believe the test will get more difficult as PCATers modify it.