??s for VMRCVM folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eep29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all...

Couple questions re: the prereq's for VMRCVM.

1. Do they allow community college courses?

2. They require 1 math class (algebra, geometry, trig, calculus)... does anyone know for sure if statistics would count or not??

I will probably need to call them on Monday but thought I'd ask and see if one of you super sleuths can save me from having to do that.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

According to their website it says that a course in statistics will cover the Math requirement. It says computer science courses will not be acceptable. As far as the community college courses the website says that courses may be completed at any credited college or university. Most of the schools allow the lower level courses to be completed at a community college while the upper level courses need to be completed at a university. I hope that helps. You may want to call them or e-mail them just be sure.:)

According to their website it says that a course in statistics will cover the Math requirement. It says computer science courses will not be acceptable. As far as the community college courses the website says that courses may be completed at any credited college or university. Most of the schools allow the lower level courses to be completed at a community college while the upper level courses need to be completed at a university. I hope that helps. You may want to call them or e-mail them just be sure.:)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just attended one of the counseling session at VMRCVM this past Friday, and those were two of my questions as well. Yes, they count a statistics course and actually prefer it. And yes, they do accept community college courses as long as the school is accredited.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions or want to double check, I know Joyce would be happy to help you. She was very willing to answer my millions of questions. :D

I e-mailed the admissions office a few months ago when I was trying to figure out whether to take physics at a university or a community college over the summer - VMRCVM said that I should take the course "wherever [I thought] I would do best."

They also told me that they do not weigh grades from more difficult institutions more heavily than grades attained from a lower tier school either. However, a lot of other schools (Cornell, Penn, etc) do take the school rank/difficulty into consideration, so I decided to take the course at the university instead.

Personally, I would suggest going for the university class if you can feasibly afford it. At least in my experience, the quality of education is also better there... although I am sure there are other CC's with great programs. Another thing to keep in mind though... an A at a CC typically looks much better than a C at a university.