Saba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppa93

PCO Class of 2009
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here gets accepted by SABA? What is the gpa requirement? or is Bachelor degree required?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ppa93 said:
Anyone here gets accepted by SABA? What is the gpa requirement? or is Bachelor degree required?
Thanks
friend just went there. I wouldn't recommend it. major example of why- she accidentally woke up late for a test. went there and they gave her a 0 out of 200. said she couldn't take it again and essentially she failed the class because of that. which basically goes to show you that they don't care. I don't think this kind of thing would happen in the states.

my $.02

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
friend just went there. I wouldn't recommend it. major example of why- she accidentally woke up late for a test. went there and they gave her a 0 out of 200. said she couldn't take it again and essentially she failed the class because of that. which basically goes to show you that they don't care. I don't think this kind of thing would happen in the states.

my $.02
i am considering SABA because I dont feel like taking MCAT. Actually, in my undergrad instition, she will not be able to take the test either. That is their policy, so u gotta follow it.

whats saba?

avinash said:
whats saba?
one of the newer caribbean schools.

and to PPA, I definately agree with the undergrad institution. most of them don't care about it. but in med schools, it's a helluva lot different.

Saba is a Caribbean medical school on a tiny island near St. Maarten. Many people don't consider it because you can't use federal Stafford loans to cover tuition, but it's cheaper than the Carib schools that do have Staffords. Do a title search for "saba", you'll learn more.

Regarding the test attitude... every school is different. I believe that US schools want all of their students to graduate, and will help you out if you're having problems. However "help out" may involve retaking a semester or even an entire year. (and yes, you'd have to pay extra for that.)

virilep said:
one of the newer caribbean schools.

and to PPA, I definately agree with the undergrad institution. most of them don't care about it. but in med schools, it's a helluva lot different.
What are the other choices? I mean where else can I go for med school? I dont want to take MCAT> any alternative caribbean school?>

Phenomenal scuba diving there. I mean fantastic. Some of the best in the world.

Oops. We're talking med schools here, right? :D

ppa93 said:
What are the other choices? I mean where else can I go for med school? I dont want to take MCAT> any alternative caribbean school?>

Hey, that's not fair! You need to suffer through the MCAT just like all the other docs. It builds character you know. :p

Have you taken a practice (AAMC version) MCAT? I'm just thinking that you are cutting yourself off from all sorts of options by deciding to go Carib so quickly. I NEVER thought I could take the MCAT or complete the AMCAS, and I did fine. Just make sure you are working with all the facts - not just about the schools, but about your situation.

I think you're making a mistake by not even trying to take the MCAT, but if you're serious about it, there are Caribbean forums on SDN; they'd probably know more about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
criminallyinane said:
What happens when you don't want to take the USMLE? :)
:laugh:
Man up, and take the damn test.

YzIa said:
Man up, and take the damn test.
It is really hard. LOL. I took Optometry Admission test and did fine, but MCAT is different because of the verbal section. English is not my primary language, so verbal is really hard for me. I will get really low score in Physics too since I hate physics haha
My essay will suck too

criminallyinane said:
What happens when you don't want to take the USMLE? :)
That will be different cos I must take USMLE. MCAT is optional haha

Cheerfulgrrl said:
Have you taken a practice (AAMC version) MCAT? I'm just thinking that you are cutting yourself off from all sorts of options by deciding to go Carib so quickly. I NEVER thought I could take the MCAT or complete the AMCAS, and I did fine. Just make sure you are working with all the facts - not just about the schools, but about your situation.
Thank you for the support, but as u know MCAT is hard LOL. If i ever take it, I dont think I will be qualified for MD schools. D.O schools might accept me. However I want MD

chaeymaey said:
Hey, that's not fair! You need to suffer through the MCAT just like all the other docs. It builds character you know. :p
screw the MCAT haha

ppa93 said:
i am considering SABA because I dont feel like taking MCAT.

Yeh..Hi. I've decided I want to become a doctor but I don't feel like taking the MCAT or any of the USMLE steps like all the other students. Does anyone know what foreign governing body I can apply to so that I don't have to comply with any normal standards?

so i dont know how the proccess works after you go to these carribean schools? I heard thats its hard to get into a residency program once your in the US. Also, if you dont need to take the MCAT for these schools, then what do they base there acceptances on?

avinash said:
so i dont know how the proccess works after you go to these carribean schools? I heard thats its hard to get into a residency program once your in the US. Also, if you dont need to take the MCAT for these schools, then what do they base there acceptances on?

Actually Saba is the only carribean school that does not require the MCAT, all others do. Saba= Slackers Are Being Admitted

avinash said:
GPA mainly. and $$.... to tell ya the truth.

Having just graduated from Saba I feel as though I could provide some insight to this discussion. As far as slackers are concerned, I have yet to see any from my school. 90%+ of the students I started with just recently matched into the residency of their choice. My best friends matched into fields such as Anesthesia (U of Florida, SLU, Case Western, Tufts/NEMC), Radiology (Yale U/New Haven), Psychiatry (Wash U), IM (Cornell, Downstate), OBGYN (Penn State) and many, many others were equally well represented. I myself matched into ophthalmology... Some that attend school in the Caribbean do so simply as an accident of geography. My friends and I all have fairly decent GPA's/MCAT scores but all managed to just miss the proverbial boat. Many of my classmates, including myself, attended undergrad in Canada which is a country with much stricter admission standards. For those of you interested in Saba, you may arrive worry-free, assuming you perform well in class, the boards and the wards (all of which Saba prepares you for exceedingly well), and know that anything is possible. (** I hate to say it, but our match list probably looks equal, or better to some of the match lists to the lesser known US med schools... Plus, we got to do it all on a caribbean island...) I have no regrets.

brendang said:
Having just graduated from Saba I feel as though I could provide some insight to this discussion. As far as slackers are concerned, I have yet to see any from my school. 90%+ of the students I started with just recently matched into the residency of their choice. My best friends matched into fields such as Anesthesia (U of Florida, SLU, Case Western, Tufts/NEMC), Radiology (Yale U/New Haven), Psychiatry (Wash U), IM (Cornell, Downstate), OBGYN (Penn State) and many, many others were equally well represented. I myself matched into ophthalmology... Some that attend school in the Caribbean do so simply as an accident of geography. My friends and I all have fairly decent GPA's/MCAT scores but all managed to just miss the proverbial boat. Many of my classmates, including myself, attended undergrad in Canada which is a country with much stricter admission standards. For those of you interested in Saba, you may arrive worry-free, assuming you perform well in class, the boards and the wards (all of which Saba prepares you for exceedingly well), and know that anything is possible. (** I hate to say it, but our match list probably looks equal, or better to some of the match lists to the lesser known US med schools... Plus, we got to do it all on a caribbean island...) I have no regrets.

Keep pumping carrib schools up, BUT their is ONLY one reason why students go to carribean schools..........

JamesD said:
Keep pumping carrib schools up, BUT their is ONLY one reason why students go to carribean schools..........

and is that beacause they couldnt make it to US schools?

avinash said:
and is that beacause they couldnt make it to US schools?
no LOL because we dont want to take MCAT

I don't know why Australia is overlooked as an alternative to US schools. I applied and was accepted to U of Sydney but decided to defer and give admission to school in the US a second go. Just a thought...

JamesD said:

because of poor spelling/grammer on one's admission essay (see above)? you're an idiot. no one cares once you get to the residency interview...

ppa93 said:
no LOL because we dont want to take MCAT

If you're so scared to take the MCAT what in GOD's name makes you think you will make it through medical school let alone have the confidence to take on the responsibility patient care?

All graduates of schools who take "shortcuts" should be required to wear a scarlet "S" on their white coat, should they get that far.

:D

I think that we need another doctor who cant speak english or communicate with patients. I say screw the MCAT and go for saba.

It sounds to me that you are trying to take the easy way out by not taking the MCAT. You need to realize that Medical school is not easy regardless of where you go. You need to decide now whether you are willing to put a little hard work into the rest of your life. I sure hope that you aren't doing it for the $$.

oh, and PS the MCAT is just the tip of the iceberg, what about all of the Board exams you will have to take to get licensed??

YesIAm said:
If you're so scared to take the MCAT what in GOD's name makes you think you will make it through medical school let alone have the confidence to take on the responsibility patient care?

All graduates of schools who take "shortcuts" should be required to wear a scarlet "S" on their white coat, should they get that far.

:D
I am confident that I will be one of the best doctors. I just dont want MCAT to stop me from being one.

frantic983 said:
I think that we need another doctor who cant speak english or communicate with patients. I say screw the MCAT and go for saba.
Who said I cannot speak English or communicate with patients? Just because I dont know verbals, that doesnt mean I cannot communicate with patients. What a sterotype you are making

hokiedoc2005 said:
It sounds to me that you are trying to take the easy way out by not taking the MCAT. You need to realize that Medical school is not easy regardless of where you go. You need to decide now whether you are willing to put a little hard work into the rest of your life. I sure hope that you aren't doing it for the $$.

oh, and PS the MCAT is just the tip of the iceberg, what about all of the Board exams you will have to take to get licensed??
I know medical school isnt easy. I like science and I can do well in those, but other sections such as verbals and writing will kill me.
U will be surprised if u know my science gpa.

brendang said:
because of poor spelling/grammer on one's admission essay (see above)? you're an idiot. no one cares once you get to the residency interview...

Obviously, I'm less of an idiot than you are because I'll be able to get into a US school...

Oh and btw, I dont think its spelled "grammer"... ;)

Wait a minute, is that an imcomplete sentence?

Its no wonder you attended a carribean medical school... :D

Seriously, the MCAT is not that difficult of an exam. If you get the right study materials, and take a Kaplan course and work hard, there is not reason that you cannot score at least 25 on the exam.

Bottom line is, if you are considering going into medicine, you will have to write the USMLE if you want to match in the United States. What's one more exam? Personally i found the MCAT to be far easier than maintaining a really high GPA

And Brendang, thanks for the info about Saba. I'm seriously considering going there. I am also Canadian by the way. The only thing that worries me is the financial stability of the place. i understand its a non-profit institution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendang

Obviously, I'm less of an idiot than you are because I'll be able to get into a US school...

Oh and btw, I dont think its spelled "grammer"...

Wait a minute, is that an imcomplete sentence?

Its no wonder you attended a carribean medical school...

Lol, it's futile arguing with some1 who's already matched in ophth vs. some1 who's still in undergrad. Btw, respect the man: Brendang. The guy's famous! His name is splashed all over Saba's home page. If I recall correctly, he's the second guy from Saba who ever matched in ophth. :)

Btw, I took the MCAT twice (>27 both times) and I'm going to Saba. Do I care whether the guy sitting next to me never took the MCAT? NO!!!

And I did just fine. Just go to Saba. It is as good or better than any of the other caribbean schools.

Ratan1982 said:
Seriously, the MCAT is not that difficult of an exam. If you get the right study materials, and take a Kaplan course and work hard, there is not reason that you cannot score at least 25 on the exam.

Bottom line is, if you are considering going into medicine, you will have to write the USMLE if you want to match in the United States. What's one more exam? Personally i found the MCAT to be far easier than maintaining a really high GPA

And Brendang, thanks for the info about Saba. I'm seriously considering going there. I am also Canadian by the way. The only thing that worries me is the financial stability of the place. i understand its a non-profit institution.

I'm not sure what u mean by this... Saba rakes in >7 Millions/year. Plus, they're considering class size expansion, now that they r Ca approved...

Lotsof77 said:
Lol, it's futile arguing with some1 who's already matched in ophth vs. some1 who's still in undergrad. Btw, respect the man: Brendang. The guy's famous! His name is splashed all over Saba's home page. If I recall correctly, he's the second guy from Saba who ever matched in ophth. :)

Btw, I took the MCAT twice (>27 both times) and I'm going to Saba. Do I care whether the guy sitting next to me never took the MCAT? NO!!!

Dont get me wrong, I am happy that he took the easy way out and succeeded and I congradulate him on his accomplishments.

That wasnt the point. The point is everyone should at least attempt the MCAT whether you need it or not and not having to take the MCAT shouldn't be the only reason why you go to the carribean.

SABA still taking in applicaitons for the August class ? LOL , i am so getting owned on these MCATS on the 16 th .. :scared: :scared:

Remember to go through AAMC's Practice Tests. Don't rush through the Practice Tests, how else are you going to draw examples for your written? To ace the written, always remember that 1 question will test your HUMANITIES knowledge, and 1 question will test your SOCIAL SCIENCES knowledge. You'll just have to figure out which one is which... Good luck! :)

anyone here had an interview to SABA? Any tips or advice on what they ask?