Sackler vs. DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timbo0984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're from NY, so you know that residency education directors in your area are very familiar with Sackler, as well as DO programs. Where do you go to school and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to a DO school just to avoid the headache that being a FMG causes. But, if I wanted to get into a really competitive residency like derm or ortho I would work on getting into a US allopathic school

Def DO, but i would say dont compare amongst DO, MD or even FMG. Do some research and see what fits you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue of FMG/IMG vs. DO has been discussed in great lengths many times here on SDN....I'm not sure if the search function is totally enabled now...but if/when it is you should be able to find some good threads on the topic

Regarding the NY issue...(I'm from NY too)....its tough to pick a school based solely on where you want to do your residency....you may find a better/different interest later down the road and wouldn't want to be confined to an area in my opinion.....they only time that I think its worth it to definitely stay in state would be if your state school offered a much lower in-state tuition...

Timbo0984 said:
You're from NY, so you know that residency education directors in your area are very familiar with Sackler, as well as DO programs. Where do you go to school and why?

DO school, because they are local.

NY is a very DO friendly state, and there will be many more opportunities for you.

You don't want to be a foreign MD if you are in fact not a foreign person.

If you post this here we will all tell you to go DO, if you post it in the FMG forum you will hear to go FMG, if you post in the MD forum you will hear neither, go MD, so you need to do some research on the benefits, costs involved, and situations of all three paths and chose which is right for YOU.

Honestly, I think the IMG-DO issue depends more on (a) what field you want to enter and (B) where you want to practice. In some areas, IMGs are favored above DOs. In other areas, it is the opposite. You must also consider tuition, living expenses, and the headache of living in a foreign country.

JKDMed said:
Honestly, I think the IMG-DO issue depends more on (a) what field you want to enter and (B) where you want to practice. In some areas, IMGs are favored above DOs. In other areas, it is the opposite. You must also consider tuition, living expenses, and the headache of living in a foreign country.

Can you provide a list of such areas?

i've heard good stuff about sackler, and i get the vibe that it's considered to be better than the big three caribbean schools (might not be true). so, i'm sure it'll get you where you need to be. however, is it really worth it to move to israel just to get an md instead of a do? admittedly, living in israel could be a really cool cultural experience, but, still, i'd rather be here. i'd probably only really consider sackler if i were jewish and spoke hebrew (don't they require you to know some hebrew at some point?).

OSUdoc08 said:
Can you provide a list of such areas?

Sure. Look at a map, circle the South East, and write the names of the states inside of that circle. This will probably change in the future with the OIS and presence of a school in GA.

JKDMed said:
Sure. Look at a map, circle the South East, and write the names of the states inside of that circle. This will probably change in the future with the OIS and presence of a school in GA.

Looking at match lists in Florida, for example, I find more DO's than FMG's in the ACGME residencies I have looked at.

Simply circling a map will not be very helpful.

OSUdoc08 said:
Looking at match lists in Florida, for example, I find more DO's than FMG's in the ACGME residencies I have looked at.

Simply circling a map will not be very helpful.

Right, from which you can only infer that more DOs than FMGs applied to programs in FL. Florida also has two DO schools of its own. GA, SC, NC, AL, MS, etc. have none. In large metropolitan hospitals, you're lucky to find 2 DOs. Smaller rural hospitals show an equal lack of DOs, ARMC having maybe 5-6 on staff, but considerably more FMGs/IMGs.

I have the unfair advantage of both living in the region and have spent a lot of time in hospitals with attendings and other physicians. I'm quite aware of the attitudes around here.

JKDMed said:
Right, from which you can only infer that more DOs than FMGs applied to programs in FL. Florida also has two DO schools of its own. GA, SC, NC, AL, MS, etc. have none. In large metropolitan hospitals, you're lucky to find 2 DOs. Smaller rural hospitals show an equal lack of DOs, ARMC having maybe 5-6 on staff, but considerably more FMGs/IMGs.

I have the unfair advantage of both living in the region and have spent a lot of time in hospitals with attendings and other physicians. I'm quite aware of the attitudes around here.

Fortunately, the OP is talking about New York, which not only is a very DO friendly state, but has multiple DO residencies and a DO school.

OSUdoc08 said:
Fortunately, the OP is talking about New York, which not only is a very DO friendly state, but has multiple DO residencies and a DO school.

Riiight, which is why I said the issue depends on what you want to do and where you want to practice. :rolleyes:

OSUDoc, you always seem to be in controversy. However, I do agree with you here. I rather take a DO over a FMG MD. Sorry