Sacramento State DPT Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melrosePT

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone accept their invitation yet to Sac State? I've been put on top 20 waitlist but my friend who is a first year has told me there are a couple of classmates that were on the top 30 waitlist! Staying hopeful! Let us know of your decisions and status regarding this program

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone accept their invitation yet to Sac State? I've been put on top 20 waitlist but my friend who is a first year has told me there are a couple of classmates that were on the top 30 waitlist! Staying hopeful! Let us know of your decisions and status regarding this program
I'm declining my spot so I hope you get in!

I am indeed accepting my offer to attend Sac State. One of the first year students that I was talking to similarly indicated that one of his classmates was accepted from the low 20s or high 30s on the waitlist, so hope is certainly not lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am indeed accepting my offer to attend Sac State. One of the first year students that I was talking to similarly indicated that one of his classmates was accepted from the low 20s or high 30s on the waitlist, so hope is certainly not lost.
Did you get the chance to find out about what kind of clinical opportunities that the sac program offers? Like location wise. I got accepted to Sac and am trying to do some final research about the program.

Did you get the chance to find out about what kind of clinical opportunities that the sac program offers? Like location wise. I got accepted to Sac and am trying to do some final research about the program.

I was accepted to Sacramento, as well as Fresno, and I am trying to narrow down what school I will accept. Originally, I was sold on Sac State, but after attending Fresno's interview day, it has made this a much harder decision. I really wish the CSUS students were more involved during interview day because I do not feel I got a good idea of what it is like to be a student in their program. Fresno students were so engaged and openly talked about the program.

Does anyone have any input on Sac State's program?

I was accepted to Sacramento, as well as Fresno, and I am trying to narrow down what school I will accept. Originally, I was sold on Sac State, but after attending Fresno's interview day, it has made this a much harder decision. I really wish the CSUS students were more involved during interview day because I do not feel I got a good idea of what it is like to be a student in their program. Fresno students were so engaged and openly talked about the program.

I personally liked Sac vs Fresno. Sac has just as good financial aid, I liked Sac's facilities more (thought much of Fresno department was old), didn't like that Fresno tries to squeeze everything in 1 less semester, and Sac has a much better first time board pass rate (97 to 75). I also got into both programs.

I have heard several students say the same comparison about Fresno vs Sac. I went to undergrad at Fresno and will be attending their program. I can attest that the students and faculty have always seemed very happy and engaged. I wish I could help more with your Sac question but if you have any questions about Fresno or the area let me know.

I personally liked Sac vs Fresno. Sac has just as good financial aid, I liked Sac's facilities more (thought much of Fresno department was old), didn't like that Fresno tries to squeeze everything in 1 less semester, and Sac has a much better first time board pass rate (97 to 75). I also got into both programs.

Fresno has a brand new building and they are doing some type of work on the track and patio behind. They do still use a few rooms in an older building but the rooms have new equipment. I believe the posted pass rate for Fresno still includes years from the MPT program so I am not sure how accurate it is? To me the shorter program was a selling point because that's one less semester of tuition. **I did go to Fresno for undergrad so I might be biased haha
Congrats on getting into both Sac and Fresno!

I talked briefly to one of the current students about this, and from what I gathered (can't quite remember some of the specifics), the internship opportunities are harder to find the further you go from Sacramento. He mentioned out-of-state internships being very difficult to accommodate, if that was something you were worried about.

I attended Sac State for undergraduate studies and will be also attending for PT school. Here's some commentary I can offer:
  • I'm surprised you found the student involvement to be minimal during your interview time. My experience was the exact opposite, as there was an ample amount of first and second year students to answer any questions, give tours, and provide insight into the program. This was the only interview I attended, however, so perhaps the involvement at Fresno's interview day set the bar high.
  • As someone mentioned above, the pass rate and job placement for Sac State students are nearly pristine. I personally would be worried about spending an exorbitant amount of money at any school that cannot even provide a high confidence that I would likely pass all necessary tests upon graduating.
  • Having lived in the area since birth, I have never heard nothing but glowing reviews about Sac State's program. Every physical therapist I have talked to (many of them CSUS graduates) spoke highly of their time at Sac State and indicated how well-prepared they were coming out of school. They often complimented the incredible faculty, as well.
  • I cannot comment on Fresno's program, but the connections made at Sac State's program seem to be abundant and everlasting. The graduates and faculty appear to keep in touch even 10+ years down the road, meaning that job opportunities (or perhaps teaching opportunities) are plentiful and never out of reach. It's never a bad idea to have a large web of connections to turn to for any reason.
  • The classmates themselves (even between multiple years, i.e. first and second year students) have incredible camaraderie. They mentioned how close they were throughout, but seeing them interact in person and relay numerous stories about how they always have each others' backs laid a major impression on me. The students also spoke of how involved and sincerely caring the professors are in regards to the students, another very impressive nugget in my book.
  • During my interview, both the therapists (CSUS graduates) and the professor indicated how the program was geared towards making the student an exceptional generalist. They do not push you towards one specialty over another, giving you the option to be knowledgeable in all fields rather than a few. I found this to be a major positive, as it reminded me of trying to pick a college major before even attending college: You tend to change your mind after taking classes and actually experiencing the coursework. While I was enamored with acute care during my shadowing, I may find out that I want nothing to do with it once I experience the profession from the PT's point of view. At least for me, it provides a calmness knowing that I will still have a wide variety of options after graduating. Again, I don't know how Fresno's program is structured, but this was how Sac State's program is set up.
That is all that comes to mind at the moment. As a lifelong Sacramento resident, I will surely be a little biased in my reasoning. Nevertheless, I hope this provides a bit more insight than you already had. I will try to answer any other questions you have if I can.

two students gave three of us interviewees a tour of the facility and spent a considerable amount of time speaking with us as well. One thing I was told was that there is actually an allocation of your tuition set aside to send you to convention meetings across the nation so you, as a Sac student, can learn more about PT. So i thought that was pretty cool! the student told me he'll be visiting texas for a PT convention.

I've been to Fresno's program as well and I am blown away by their state of the art equipment! I'll have to say that Fresno seems like an amazing choice!

Jerri called me yesterday to offer admission! I'm surprised there was a phone call since it seems like everywhere else proceeds with a congatulatory e-mail. Nevertheless, I AM ECSTATIC!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I know this is an old posting but I was just invited for a interview for Sac State’s DPT program, and was wondering if you guys can chime in on your interview experience? Did you do anything in particular to stand out? Questions you might have asked the interviewers? Sac state is my top choice so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk