Sad Case of Drexel Medical Student Killed This Weekend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A Drexel University medical student fell to his death early Saturday morning in Philadelphia’s Spring Garden section while, police say, he and friends were rooftop-jumping.
Police said a 23-year-old man had died after missing his mark while jumping from rooftop to rooftop on the 1200 block of Buttonwood Street. Police said he fell two stories, hitting his head on the ground, where people with him performed CPR until medics arrived. According to Fry’s statement, Subramani was with two friends, also medical students, at the time he fell.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
A Drexel University medical student fell to his death early Saturday morning in Philadelphia’s Spring Garden section while, police say, he and friends were rooftop-jumping.
Police said a 23-year-old man had died after missing his mark while jumping from rooftop to rooftop on the 1200 block of Buttonwood Street. Police said he fell two stories, hitting his head on the ground, where people with him performed CPR until medics arrived. According to Fry’s statement, Subramani was with two friends, also medical students, at the time he fell.

Sad and completely preventable.

Reactions: 10 users
I would probably use the word "died" rather than "killed", but the story is very sad.

A reminder of the dangers of alcohol's disinhibitory effects.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med prom was friday night.

The third year class keeps taking hits. Over the summer an M3 lost both her parents in a plane crash.

• Sad
Uh. This guy was jumping from tall buildings to tall buildings. After drinking.

This was playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not happy this guy is dead and I do think his death is sad but let’s put this into proper perspective.

• Dislike
Reactions: 13 users
Uh. This guy was jumping from tall buildings to tall buildings. After drinking.

This was playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not happy this guy is dead and I do think his death is sad but let’s put this into proper perspective.

Yeah, it was a tragic mistake that cost him his life. Proper perspective isn’t needed. This isnt winning or losing. You’re making it like Vivek deserved it. He was a classmate of mine.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah, it was a tragic mistake that cost him his life. Proper perspective isn’t needed. This isnt winning or losing. You’re making it like Vivek deserved it. He was a classmate of mine.

He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

“deserve” has nothing to do with it

If I lay in the noon soon for hours without my shorts on, junk hanging out like rockstar, and I get a sun burn on my fellas, I didn’t “deserve” it but I certainly am experiencing the consequences of bad choices. Choices matter.

• Dislike
I have never been so tempted to delete my account on this toxic website as I have been right now, but I will beg with all my heart to please leave your holier-than-thou comments at the door. This is a public website which his friends and family may read. I distantly knew this student and he is nothing but a pleasant and kind-hearted person. His parents are even more sweet and giving, if that’s possible. I cannot even begin to imagine the devastation they are going through in losing a child so suddenly and I’m sure they’re even more devastated by the fact that it was a preventable accident. They have recently announced that they hope to use the money donated to his GoFundMe for funeral expenses to create a scholarship for prospective Drexel students, in case you needed any further proof that these really are good souls.

I’m not sure what you’re hoping to accomplish with your comment since we can all see that he exhibited reckless behavior that night, but that does not detract in any way from the 23 years of hard work and perseverance he put in to becoming a third year medical student with a bright future. What “perspective” do you want us to take exactly, other than that a promising life was needlessly lost? Please, I’d love to hear it.

Don’t project your stuff onto me. I didn’t say he was a bad person nor did I suggest his parents aren’t hurting.

Reactions: 2 users
I sense a thread lock.

Reactions: 8 users
Right, you just added a comment stating the blatantly obvious and acted as though it contributed something meaningful. I don’t think a single person is arguing that this wasn’t preventable.

A few posts above mine pretty much saying the same thing but I’m the only one you’re giving crap too.

Anyway. I do think it’s important to emphasize consequences and bad choices in a group of budding young professionals.

I mean really the best thing to do here would be to ignore my comment rather than keep up the back and forth because it can keep going indefinitely.

I’m sorry you lost your friend. I’ve lost a few myself. That pain never goes away. Time does make it less . . . amplified.

Reactions: 3 users
A few posts above mine pretty much saying the same thing but I’m the only one you’re giving crap too.

Anyway. I do think it’s important to emphasize consequences and bad choices in a group of budding young professionals.

I mean really the best thing to do here would be to ignore my comment rather than keep up the back and forth because it can keep going indefinitely.

I’m sorry you lost your friend. I’ve lost a few myself. That pain never goes away. Time does make it less . . . amplified.
The other commenter didn’t start saying something about taking a different perspective on this death because it stemmed from reckless behavior. That’s what I took offense to- the cause of death doesn’t make it any less sad. People in this thread already mentioned that Vivek was a classmate before you made your comment, so you must’ve realized that at least a few people on this thread were grieving his loss.

Thank you for your condolences. I wish only the best for people who knew him well and are dealing with the aftermath of this. I agree that we should stop going back and forth on this and try to move on.

My friend and former colleague lies on Mt Everest nearly 30 yrs later. Oxygen deprivation is also a dis inhibiting phenomenon. I dont consider his attempt to summit Everest a bad choice or reckless. He was living and experiencing life to its fullest. That's how I remember him. I think those who knew Vivek should remember him the same way. Both situations are tragic and I feel so sorry for their parents, losing such bright people so young. I would much rather exit by living that way than sitting around waiting for something to happen to me. My condolences to those who knew Vivek.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend and former colleague lies on Mt Everest nearly 30 yrs later. Oxygen deprivation is also a dis inhibiting phenomenon. I dont consider his attempt to summit Everest a bad choice or reckless. He was living and experiencing life to its fullest. That's how I remember him. I think those who knew Vivek should remember him the same way. Both situations are tragic and I feel so sorry for their parents, losing such bright people so young. I would much rather exit by living that way than sitting around waiting for something to happen to me. My condolences to those who knew Vivek.
Thank you for your words. They don’t go unappreciated

Reactions: 1 user
He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

Unfortunately, this was overly presumptive, not helped at all by the media coverage surrounding the accident. It was falsely reported that Vivek and his friends were jumping from building to building, or that roofs were even involved at all - he fell from the balcony of his apartment, it was a horrible and unpredictable accident, not quite a stupid game warranting death. I ask you to take a step back before making assumptions, and even if this misreporting were not the case, to have more empathy.

• Sad
Unfortunately, this was overly presumptive, not helped at all by the media coverage surrounding the accident. It was falsely reported that Vivek and his friends were jumping from building to building, or that roofs were even involved at all - he fell from the balcony of his apartment, it was a horrible and unpredictable accident, not quite a stupid game warranting death. I ask you to take a step back before making assumptions, and even if this misreporting were not the case, to have more empathy.
Is it really an assumption if you base your thoughts on what the news reports explicitly stated?

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Can you link the news source? Especially since this suggests the original link now seems to be fake news?

I didn’t make any “assumptions” though. I was clearly making an assessment based on the information reported in the news story linked at the OP.

Making an assessment isn’t a lack of empathy. Sorry.

There is a gross disconnect here. All news stories are saying the same, even ones posted yesterday. I would expect the story would change if a correction needed to be made. We will see. Hard to fault anyone here if the published story is so far off from the truth.

Don't worry about them. I'm not surprised by how socially inept some medical students are and there are no shortage of them on this forum

Just FYI, few of them are attendings

And that makes it worse.
I can only imagine if these people were oncologists giving a lung cancer diagnosis to a smoker... empathy fell short

And that makes it worse.
I can only imagine if these people were oncologists giving a lung cancer diagnosis to a smoker... empathy fell short

yeah this thread has been really disappointing but I can't really be surprised since it's known the forums can be rather toxic sometimes. I just didn't expect this thread to be toxic though.

yeah this thread has been really disappointing but I can't really be surprised since it's known the forums can be rather toxic sometimes. I just didn't expect this thread to be toxic though.

Yeah I am surprised too. Thankfully, the school has really come together to remember him.

Last edited:
  • Love
Friends with a few Drexel M3s & M4s, saw this and wanted to offer my condolences. I lost one of my best friends in my class this summer to a stupid accident. I feel you. Sorry this thread has turned toxic. Can we lock this already?

people who believe everything the news says ARE making assumptions...how dumb do you have to be to believe everything you see on the internet? you shouldn't talk about things you don't know and congrats on being confident through an anonymous username...should be ashamed of yourselves honestly. i also know for a fact that roof jumping wasn't involved so relax with that.

My condolences to his family, friends, and classmates. This is terribly sad.
My alma mater has had a string of student deaths from various causes since I attended and even graduated and it's really very painful. Lives shouldn't end before they even have begun.

No, but saying “he played a stupid game and won a stupid prize” on a thread being read by people who knew him irl and just lost a classmate is in extremely poor taste.

It was a fair assessment if the news story is true. Sorry some people didn’t like to hear that but it wasn’t in “poor taste“ just because some people didn’t like hearing that.

It was a fair assessment if the news story is true. Sorry some people didn’t like to hear that but it wasn’t in “poor taste“ just because some people didn’t like hearing that.

It was repeatedly stated on here that the news story is false so i don't know why you're fixating on that

It was repeatedly stated on here that the news story is false so i don't know why you're fixating on that

I’m not “fixated” on anything. The news story was the context for the comment.

I mean for a bunch of people who say they want to mane this thread about the dead you all sure seem to keep trying to make it about *me*.

It’s noted. Some of you didn’t like the comment. It’s there in the minutes. That can be enough but as should be well known I can continue like this indefinitely.

Balls in YOUR court. I keep getting called back in.

• Dislike
Friends with a few Drexel M3s & M4s, saw this and wanted to offer my condolences. I lost one of my best friends in my class this summer to a stupid accident. I feel you. Sorry this thread has turned toxic. Can we lock this already?
Or just ban the people who repeatedly contribute toxic nonsense? Seriously what decent human being speaks like some of the posters on here?

I’m not “fixated” on anything. The news story was the context for the comment.

I mean for a bunch of people who say they want to mane this thread about the dead you all sure seem to keep trying to make it about *me*.

It’s noted. Some of you didn’t like the comment. It’s there in the minutes. That can be enough but as should be well known I can continue like this indefinitely.

Balls in YOUR court. I keep getting called back in.
It’s an underrated skill to learn when to stop talking and accept that you were wrong. The way you spoke about a dead student was wrong and frankly embarrassing to the profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
Can all you guys just stop bumping this thread if the article in the OP is false? I see nothing good coming out of this back and forth. And I know I just bumped the thread, but this will be my last post.

I'm sorry to all of the people who lost a classmate and a friend. I'm especially sorry to the family that lost a son, brother, and grandson.

It is in poor taste to be flippant about it, which is clearly the intent of the cliche you elected to use. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" is on basically the same level as "sucks to be you." Both are things that are said (usually by bratty teenagers) to make the point of being too cool to care.

If you believe the story as originally reported, there is a tasteful way to discuss the consequences of risky behavior. You opted not to discuss it tastefully, and instead responded in the manner of my 13-year-old nephew when he's trying to get a rise out of his mom.

Reactions: 5 users
It’s an underrated skill to learn when to stop talking and accept that you were wrong. The way you spoke about a dead student was wrong and frankly embarrassing to the profession.

Your opinion is noted. I also note that you seem to want to keep making the thread about me. What is the skill, do you think, that is required to quit bringing in the person you don’t want to talk to in here? Try some self control? I’m going to keep responding. And I’m going to continue to not agree with you on this matter so what is the point here for you?

Can all you guys just stop bumping this thread if the article in the OP is false? I see nothing good coming out of this back and forth. And I know I just bumped the thread, but this will be my last post.

I'm sorry to all of the people who lost a classmate and a friend. I'm especially sorry to the family that lost a son, brother, and grandson.
It’s worth at least editing the OP to omit the misleading article. @jkdoctor would that be possible?

Yeah this thread deteriorated badly. I'm exiting this thread, as I'm disappointed and frustrated with SDN toxicity. And I'm angered that the news media reported false news that maligned the student. Shame on them.

I'm really sorry for the family and classmates affected by this tragedy.

It is in poor taste to be flippant about it, which is clearly the intent of the cliche you elected to use. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" is on basically the same level as "sucks to be you." Both are things that are said (usually by bratty teenagers) to make the point of being too cool to care.

If you believe the story as originally reported, there is a tasteful way to discuss the consequences of risky behavior. You opted not to discuss it tastefully, and instead responded in the manner of my 13-year-old nephew when he's trying to get a rise out of his mom.

Still trying to make it about me . . .

If, as reported, I think comment completely appropriate.

I wouldn’t project being “too cool to care onto me” but it’s a free country.

Your opinion is noted. I also note that you seem to want to keep making the thread about me. What is the skill, do you think, that is required to quit bringing in the person you don’t want to talk to in here? Try some self control? I’m going to keep responding. And I’m going to continue to not agree with you on this matter so what is the point here for you?
All you needed to do was apologize for your wording, but the fact that you refuse to do so says volumes. I guess it’s easy to play the tough guy when anonymous on the internet, but I really do feel bad for your patients and their families if “this guy deserved to die” is the way you speak to people suffering from a loss. Try to do better in the future, if that’s possible.

anyway, I’m really embarrassed at the prospect of more people who knew Vivek finding this toxic thread and I’m ashamed to even have been a part of it. I’ll exit as well. Hopefully the thread can be edited to reflect the changes in reporting to ensure we honor his memory correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.