Safe number of prelim interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, what do you guys think is a safe number of prelim interviews? I've got significant time restraints for interviewing because of school rotations and location, and I was trying to see whats a good ratio of anesthesiology to preliminary program interviews.

The only other thread I could find discussing this subject mentioned 11 interviews for preliminary programs, which seems astronomically high.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, what do you guys think is a safe number of prelim interviews? I've got significant time restraints for interviewing because of school rotations and location, and I was trying to see whats a good ratio of anesthesiology to preliminary program interviews.

The only other thread I could find discussing this subject mentioned 11 interviews for preliminary programs, which seems astronomically high.

Thanks!

That's a tough question to answer, because the number of interviews you should do depends on where you are trying to do your prelim year. Matching a prelim surgery program at Po'dunk U is a lot easier than Cush TY in the middle of a big city.

Just apply and go on whatever prelim interviews you can.

That being said, I went on 7, and ended up matching categorical.

Thanks partydoc. Location isn't as important to me (although I only plan on applying to midwest prelims) as it is increasing my odds at matching into an anesthesiology residency. I like that plan though, apply and go on what I can fit. Gotta stop fretting over this, and just wait and see how things shake out.

I had the same question, starting to worry as I don't have that many prelim interviews