Safer with clinically based school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysian12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my question:

I am unsure if I want to specialize right now. I figure I will find out in dental school. Should I attend a school that would possibly put me in a better position to specialize or one that is clinically focused? I would hate to become a general dentist and have attended a school that has specialty programs and therefore missed out on doing molar endo, ortho, implants etc. because those got referred to the residents.

If I attended a clinically based school I could do all those procedures and then still end up possibly specializing if I work hard enough.

I hope this question makes sense

I have been accepted into Creighton (clinically focused) and OHSU (possibly better for specializing?). Also have an interview at UPenn (Great for specializing) coming up.

Members don't see this ad.

No matter where you go, you still have to work your butt off to get good grades, externships, etc to specialize. So if you are unsure, go for school with better clinical so if you come out as a GP, you will be ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about specialty programs stealing your cases while in dental school. In reality, that is not a real concern. If you do end up as a GP, you will get more and better experience doing those procedures in one month of practice than you could have ever done in dental school.

Reactions: 1 user