Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just looked up the salaries listed for internships and residencies at the vet school hospitals in the Northeast and was nauseous when I saw that "$25,000" and "$27,000" seem to be the norm. That is less than what a vet tech makes. (I know because I was offered a tech job at one of these hospitals.)
I know you don't go into this field for the money. But how do you live on 25K when you have 150K in vet school debt and, quite possibly, a family to help support? Or even with no family, how do you support yourself? This kind of salary must be enough of a stretch in a low-cost-of-living area, but the hospitals offering these salaries were in Boston and Philly and Ithaca.
Can you defer debt repayment until after the residency or do you start paying off right after graduation? I know specialists have the potential to earn a decent income, but you have to survive for those four years of post-graduate training...
I'm not being facetious here. I really want to know how you can live on so little.
I know you don't go into this field for the money. But how do you live on 25K when you have 150K in vet school debt and, quite possibly, a family to help support? Or even with no family, how do you support yourself? This kind of salary must be enough of a stretch in a low-cost-of-living area, but the hospitals offering these salaries were in Boston and Philly and Ithaca.
Can you defer debt repayment until after the residency or do you start paying off right after graduation? I know specialists have the potential to earn a decent income, but you have to survive for those four years of post-graduate training...
I'm not being facetious here. I really want to know how you can live on so little.