salary of Pharmacy tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npp71681

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Does anyone know how much Pharmacy Technician get paid at Wal-Mart? If you are working or have worked before how is your experience working with Wal-Mart?

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Caverject said:
$5.50...Walmart is the low price leader!

Really? for Pharm Techs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject said:

Heh. Maybe in Savannah. :p Actually, Wal-mart doesn't pay very much. I started out at a Wal-mart in Mississippi at $6/hour, but that was in 1997. When I left at the end of 1999, I was making $7.14/hour. My sister started there in 1999 making $6.50/hour, and 5 years later, she was making close to $10/hour. This, I'd imagine, would depend on location.

I worked there as a cart wrangler/cashier for a year and a half :( started at $5.50 eventually made $6.15. it depends very much on location though. I imagine being a pharmacy tech at wal-mart is insane, because it's so damn busy all the time.

I did a rotation at wal-mart in the middle of my p2 year.........

i will work for them if they pay a lot of money to me when i graduate but i would never work with the pharmacists and techs at this store........

my blood pressure got so high at one point (normal 115/70) that i could hear pounding in my head and ringing in my ears.... i wanted to explode.

like i said... i would not work with the techs or the pharmacist ever again

Heh. Minimum wage in WA is like $8.15/ hr or something. I'm sure the cashiers get that. The true techs (we differentiate cashier from tech by licensure) in this area typically get $11-$14/hr with Wal-Mart being on the low end. Here Wal-Mart start interns (already in pharmacy school) at $14/hr.

It varies by area. What state are you in?

Their computer system was very easy to work with. I enjoyed it there. It is a vary corporate/volume driven environment. I would consider working for them if it were not for that and for the fact that they have been benefit stripping their pharmacists over the past few years.

Hi!

I am currently working at a hosptial as a Pharmacy Technician where I am getting about $15.00/hr (PRN+shift differetial), but not getting hours that I want. So, I applied at other hospital in my area, I interviewed there, but one of their PRN Tech told them that he/she want to get that job. So, they usually give priority to internal Techs first. They transfer him/her from PRN to Full Time job. Now, I got wait for another position available at this hospital. Then, I decided to call Wal-Mart and other Retailers and find out that Wal-Mart is hiring for weekends. I went there and filled out an Application at Wal-Mart. I have to wait for the Manager call me for interview, may be tomorrow. That's why I wanted to know how much they pay.

I really do not wonna go to retail because of the less money than hospitals and I want to be a hospital pharmacist, so I want to work at a hospital, but unfortunately I have to work for retail until something comes up with the hospital.

rite aid pays $7.50 but hey, it's a job.

Hi!

Most likely I got job offer as a Pharmacy Technician from both CVS/Pharmacy and
Wal-Mart, but I don't know which one I should pick to work at? I don't know the salary, yet. Which one is better?

If youre in pharm school you'll get more of a raise every year vs. working in hospital. I work for Walgreens and this is how my pay has increased:

PS1: 12.00
PS2: 14.50
PS3: 16.50
PS4: 18.50

I know CVS is about $1-2 below this. Not sure about Wal-mart. But if you're applying as a pharm tech without being a pharm student then I'm not really sure but I know when I was a tech starting in 2000 I started at $8.25. And I'm from Chicagoland.

Caverject said:

I have about 6 walmarts within 30 minutes of where I live. I know that salary seems low*, but for the convenience of school I am probably going to be apply to all of them in the summer. They are all within a reasonable proximity to my campus, so I think it will be well worth it in the long run.

Luckily, I have 2 CVS pharmacies close by too, but they never seem to hiring.

*If I'm not mistaken, I think it's $7 here. ;)

Hi!
everybody,

Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine a chain store paying less than 9 dollars an hour for a licensed tech. I guess living in California has given me unrealistic expectations regarding wages? Or maybe some people use tech to mean what I think of as a clerk...

meister said:
I can't imagine a chain store paying less than 9 dollars an hour for a licensed tech. I guess living in California has given me unrealistic expectations regarding wages? Or maybe some people use tech to mean what I think of as a clerk...

California is also a hella expensive place to live. ;)

meister said:

When I was at Eckerd's over the summer, $9 per hour was the going rate. In this area you can get a decent apartment for under $500 a month and I got gas yesterday for $1.67 a gallon. What's the going rate in California?

one of my friend is an intern at walmart. he swears he is making $15.00 / hour. i think he is lying but that's what he said.

kwakster928 said:
one of my friend is an intern at walmart. he swears he is making $15.00 / hour. i think he is lying but that's what he said.
One of my classmates started at $15 there, as an intern.

An intern typically gets paid more than a technician. I think the OP was looking for tech salaries, for those who are not yet enrolled in a Pharm.D. program.

Hi!
all,

I finally chose to work at Wal-Mart as a Pharmacy Technician, my pay is $8.80/hr(with experience), but without experience its $8.40/hr. They pay $7.50 to Cashiers.

Does any body know If they pay extra if a person speaks Foreign Language and has Pharmacy Technician certificate degree from Community College?

how much does walmart pay for pharmacy techs in the bay area, california?

In speaking with a student from another school I heard something interesting but not suprising.
The chains he has been talking to are offering $65,000. This is in a medium sized city.

Here, where there is a pharmacy school and very little shortage of pharmacists the salery is $80K again... chains...

I know that saleries will be decining greatly in the not-so-distant future. I am going to encourage everyone to find their niche.

There are a lot of pharmacy schools that are opening up and there will be a lot of pharmacists out there... it is something to consider...

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from entering pharmacy i just hope it is something you will enjoy doing no matter what the salary.

bbmuffin said:
In speaking with a student from another school I heard something interesting but not suprising.
The chains he has been talking to are offering $65,000. This is in a medium sized city.

Here, where there is a pharmacy school and very little shortage of pharmacists the salery is $80K again... chains...

I know that saleries will be decining greatly in the not-so-distant future. I am going to encourage everyone to find their niche.

There are a lot of pharmacy schools that are opening up and there will be a lot of pharmacists out there... it is something to consider...

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from entering pharmacy i just hope it is something you will enjoy doing no matter what the salery.

That's it! I'm quitting pharmacy tomorrow!

bbmuffin said:

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from entering pharmacy i just hope it is something you will enjoy doing no matter what the salery.

Maybe it's just him....maybe he's not as good as others....They don't offer the same salary to everyone...have you ever considered that before coming to such conclusions? :thumbdown:

$65K ?? ...I'd take that low of a figure w/ a grain of salt, and it certainly doesn't apply across the board. In high-growth markets, salaries continue to rise.

What do you know of this guy? Would YOU hire him as a pharmacist? It could be that the recruiter low-balled him to discourage him from wanting to work there, without coming straight out and saying "you suck".

$65,000 per year 40 hours a week? No way.

On the other hand, Walmart just upped their salary here (in Phoenix) to $50/hour. Safeway followed suit and upped theirs to about $47/hour.

In my opinion salaries won't decline they'll simply plateau.

Sept 2003, I upped the base hourly salary to $52 from $45 for a community hospital in Northern Cal. A few months ago, the base went up to $58. And there is no sign of coming down..

He is a competent person with good grades. He does have a personality.

I know no one wants to believe that pharmacist's saleries will ever go down but that really isn't the reality of the world today. Everyone's saleries fluxuate.

Isn't the national average something like $77K?

And to not believe it will ever lower you have to be of the thought that there is no way to ever correct the shortage... which i am not

look at the amout of pharm schools that are opening every year...

i was just pointing out that the saleries are not $100K + everywhere

For those of you spouting off CA stats... what is the cost of living like out there? I honestly don't know because i've never heard anything about it.

i personally like pharmacy and if my salery is $65K then that's it

ZpackSux said:
Sept 2003, I upped the base hourly salary to $52 from $45 for a community hospital in Northern Cal. A few months ago, the base went up to $58. And there is no sign of coming down..
hmm...are u still hiring? ;) :laugh:

bbmuffin said:
He is a competent person with good grades. He does have a personality.

I know no one wants to believe that pharmacist's saleries will ever go down but that really isn't the reality of the world today. Everyone's saleries fluxuate.

Isn't the national average something like $77K?

And to not believe it will ever lower you have to be of the thought that there is no way to ever correct the shortage... which i am not

look at the amout of pharm schools that are opening every year...

i was just pointing out that the saleries are not $100K + everywhere

For those of you spouting off CA stats... what is the cost of living like out there? I honestly don't know because i've never heard anything about it.

i personally like pharmacy and if my salery is $65K then that's it
2 bed 2 bath apt averages at about $1500/month here I think (of course depends on the city). But regardless, I doubt salaries will be 65K in the future. Pharmacists will eventually have more responsibilities and reimbursements for their services. IMO, retail will probably continue ranging at 90-100K.

Besides, although more schools are opening, that also means that the more pharmacists there are out there, the more representation we'll have. In other words, maybe we'll have more of a say in Congress, etc. I just hope (in retail) we move towards a more clinical approach and add on more patient-based services.

That being said, I love Pharmacy and would never change my career due to a change in salary. Although, I do think that pharmacists deserve more respect and thus, their salaries shouldn't drop.

rxgal8 said:
2 bed 2 bath apt averages at about $1500/month here I think (of course depends on the city). But regardless, I doubt salaries will be 65K in the future. Pharmacists will eventually have more responsibilities and reimbursements for their services. IMO, retail will probably continue ranging at 90-100K.
Besides, although more schools are opening, that also means that the more pharmacists there are out there, the more representation we'll have. In other words, maybe we'll have more of a say in Congress, etc. I just hope (in retail) we move towards a more clinical approach and add on more patient-based services.
That being said, I love Pharmacy and would never change my career due to a change in salary. Although, I do think that pharmacists deserve more respect and thus, their salaries shouldn't drop.

I second the idea that pharmacy is definitely moving towards a more clinical approach. This has been emphasized time and again at all the interviews I have attended!

I wouldn't change my career either :) Yes, it's a little discouraging how schools are popping up *everywhere*, but I believe the need for pharmacists will continue to grow alongside growth in cities both small and large! (i.e. more pharmacies, grocery stores and chain stores that have in-store pharmacies, etc.) Also, don't forget that there is more to pharmacy than just retail! A Pharm D can take you a lot of other places as well! :thumbup:

bbmuffin said:

I agree that every professions' salaries fluctuate; however, a decrease of 1/3 in pay is unfathamable in my opinion.

Money "isn't" everything, but I won't be accepting a position at $65k. I go to private school and I need to pay off these freaking loans! :p

AmandaRxs said:
I agree that every professions' salaries fluctuate; however, a decrease of 1/3 in pay is unfathamable in my opinion.

Money "isn't" everything, but I won't be accepting a position at $65k. I go to private school and I need to pay off these freaking loans! :p
I hear you... The majority of people in my class are looking at $150K in debt.

Hopefully all of the loans will be well paid off before that is the norm.

rxgal8 said:
hmm...are u still hiring? ;) :laugh:

As a matter of fact..yes. Work 4 X 10 hour shift. Last 2 hours is Overtime, 1.5 X $58 .. but..you don't really have to work that last 2...but get paid for it. Work 1 weekend every 6 weeks. You interested? But you'll have to move to Northern cal...

ZpackSux said:
As a matter of fact..yes. Work 4 X 10 hour shift. Last 2 hours is Overtime, 1.5 X $58 .. but..you don't really have to work that last 2...but get paid for it. Work 1 weekend every 6 weeks. You interested? But you'll have to move to Northern cal...
lol...I'm actually still a student in N. Cali...at UOP (2 years left).
Nice offer though...where's your hospital at? :D

Salaries do not decline. They tend to stay where they are or increase. PT had a boom- yet PT's are still geting paoed $70,000 or more. Some places may try to low ball you. I have heard here in South Florida that hospitals are starting to catch up to retail pay. I have friends who are pharmD's and they all agree- salaries don't decrease. Remember- just as many new pharmD's are coming out of school, many Rph are retiring. Also with the PT boom-and influx into that field a few years ago- well now there is a drought again and PT's are in demand. The same thing will happen with pharmacy. I doubt the pharmD salary will be below $75,000. And there is always the oppurtunity for overtime and holidays.

rxgal8 said:
lol...I'm actually still a student in N. Cali...at UOP (2 years left).
Nice offer though...where's your hospital at? :D

The hospital is not very far from Stockton...

ZpackSux said:
The hospital is not very far from Stockton...
I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go hospital instead of retail ;)
Although I might want to get as far away as possible from Stockton once I graduate... :laugh:

bbmuffin said:

If a student applies for pharmacy school just because of the salary, I will feel so bad for him and for his future patients. Money is not everything when you decide your career, your profession. Why pharmacy schools are so competitive now? It is because a lot of students go crazy for that salary range regardless how much they will like it, how much they really know about pharmacy. As health care professionals, pharmacists are committed to patient care not money!!

It is true more and more pharmacy schools are opening up, however, it doesn't mean there will be a lot of pharmacists out there, because pharmacy students need to take the naplex and state board exam. Such examinations control the number and qualification of graduates pretty well. I am confident that pharmacy school will not be like Computer Science, scrap overnight. It has been and will be very stable over years.

Even though I don't think there will be a drop, I don't mind if the pharmacist salary really went down when I graduate four years later, I would still practise as pharmacist, earning respects and trusts from patiens, being called doctor.

If you quit pharmacy school just because of drop of salary or competition, it means you are not ready to pursue a health care profession, academically and mentally.

Raining said:
If a student applies for pharmacy school just because of the salary, I will feel so bad for him and for his future patients. Money is not everything when you decide your career, your profession. Why pharmacy schools are so competitive now? It is because a lot of students go crazy for that salary range regardless how much they will like it, how much they really know about pharmacy. As health care professionals, pharmacists are committed to patient care not money!!

It is true more and more pharmacy schools are opening up, however, it doesn't mean there will be a lot of pharmacists out there, because pharmacy students need to take the naplex and state board exam. Such examinations control the number and qualification of graduates pretty well. I am confident that pharmacy school will not be like Computer Science, scrap overnight. It has been and will be very stable over years.

Even though I don't think there will be a drop, I don't mind if the pharmacist salary really went down when I graduate four years later, I would still practise as pharmacist, earning respects and trusts from patiens, being called doctor.

If you quit pharmacy school just because of drop of salary or competition, it means you are not ready to pursue a health care profession, academically and mentally.
great post i complete agree....

i honestly think it would be funny for all of the people who are going into it for the money....

ok...
got the rest of the story guys and thought you would like to know!
in this city there are a lot of older pharmacists (Rphs) who are not retiring. and there is simply no need for pharmacists in the area.

while we all think all of these old guys retire... there are acouple of guys i know who work at 80YO
yes they will eventually die so their jobs will be available.

Just thought everyone would like to know.

Anyone have any stats on how old the average pharmacist is, average number retiring per year/letting their licenses lapse & number of retail stores in operation?

I think some trends could help us do some predictions.

SomeGuy said:
Anyone have any stats on how old the average pharmacist is, average number retiring per year/letting their licenses lapse & number of retail stores in operation?

I think some trends could help us do some predictions.
there is a study out there called the Manpower Project...

they projected a shortage but also assumed that everyone is retiring.

i can honestly tell you that my mom (a rph) plans does not plan on retiring. and i'm sure they are assuming she will be retiring in the next 10-15 years...

it would be interesting to see how many pharmacists actually do retire and stay retired

The pharmacist with whom I work keeps saying that salaries are going to increase even more. I don't know how up-to-date he is, but he is very firm on his words (or so it seems). He keeps saying that by the time I graduate (4 years from now), I will be getting paid more than he is for sure.

Also, for those of you who say pharmacy schools are popping up everywhere, do you have a list or a number as to how many exactly will be opening, for say the next 4-5 years? This gives you the list of all the new pharmacy schools: http://www.aacp.org/issi/membership/schools.asp?action=view&TRACKID=&wh=B&CID=593&DID=4224 but do you know of any more opening? There are 8 schools on that list, which is not as few as we would have liked, but is 8 new schools cause for concern regarding a drop in salaries?? It may or may not be; I just don't know!!

Yes the salary will decline.
I have a degree in CS;
I worked in the field, untill the field was really saturated with new graduates.
You guys should choose what you really like and love.
I always facinated about pathology and I am aiming for that feild.
recently students want to be a pharmacist just for the salary. For those students find what you really like and love. You will have salary there too if you are really good at it. If love to be a pharmacist then be it.
Always remember it is PHARMD degree. You can always teach with this degree.

Again if you love the work of a pharmacist then be a pharmacist.

2005pharmD said:
The pharmacist with whom I work keeps saying that salaries are going to increase even more. I don't know how up-to-date he is, but he is very firm on his words (or so it seems). He keeps saying that by the time I graduate (4 years from now), I will be getting paid more than he is for sure.

Also, for those of you who say pharmacy schools are popping up everywhere, do you have a list or a number as to how many exactly will be opening, for say the next 4-5 years? This gives you the list of all the new pharmacy schools: http://www.aacp.org/issi/membership/schools.asp?action=view&TRACKID=&wh=B&CID=593&DID=4224 but do you know of any more opening? There are 8 schools on that list, which is not as few as we would have liked, but is 8 new schools cause for concern regarding a drop in salaries?? It may or may not be; I just don't know!!
there have been several in the past 4 years not just those 8. and there are several in plans for the next few years too.

i don't know how many there are total and how it increased within the past 5 years and what is projected for the next 5

Originally Posted by Raining

One of the main reasons I chose pharmacy is because of money. Being paid 65K a year, I might have second thoughts about joining the profession. I make close to that now and why would I want to incur more debt and toil for another four years for minimal gains. There are several attritubutes I look for in a profession: autonomy, stability, flexibility, not having to deal with corporate bs, and financial compensation. Patient care? it's a plus that in being a pharmacist I can help make a difference in someone's life. But we all know that over 70% of the jobs out there are in a community and hospital settings. Unless you work for stores that contract with LTC facilities, your patient contact is bleak. If you are so dedicated to patient care, there are lots of other health professions out there that will satiate your passion more than pharmacy can.
Instead of feeling sorry for others, maybe you should look more into yourself and ask? "if patient care is all I want in a profession, is pharmacy right for me?" May I suggest nursing, their role in patient care is more extensive than a pharmacist though they get paid less, but that doesn't matter to you. By the way, your post looks great for adcoms. As someone said earlier, pharmacist's salary will plateau more that drop.

BBmuffin, shame on you for causing a scare in saying the decline in salary is beginning, had me under the sink crying for awhile until my senses kicked in as I remember my professor telling us that there will be a shortage until 2020. Even if salaries were to decline, it sure as hell is not going to be now or even the next couple of years. JackBeanstalk will personally guarantee that when you graduate, you will be making no less than 80K a year. Everything is okay now, go back to sleep pharmacy kiddies, it was all bad dream.