Salary of practice owners?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelarson

MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how much veterinarians who own their own practice/employ other vets make in comparison to those who work for another vet? I am not asking anyone for their personal salary, but I'm simply curious. I am most interested in equine or small animal emergency, but any figures would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have large nor mixed animal experience, just small/exotics:

If you do your own thing, run your own ship, and depending on how much cash you like to walk out with, you can earn $100k, $150k or even more, depending on the size of the practice.

It's always going to depend on your gross revenue that you're generating. And it's going to depend alot on what sort of practice you're going to run. Shot clinic? Low cost? High-end medicine? How many toys you want, are you 24 hours, or M-F only... How many staff?

It's kinda crappy to work alone. No one to bounce cases off of.

To give you an example, from an east coast suburb: A practice that had gross revenue of about $500k per year as a high figure was able to support an owner earning roughly $200k/year if I remem correctly. That was a low cost high volume place.

Own vs. work as an employee both have their pro's and con's. You definitely have better upside salary potential owning your own place, but you also have that much more of headaches to deal with.

I know of several vets that ended up owning multiple practices. Eventually, they simply stepped out of seeing appointments and simply ran their businesses, hiring other vets. They have done very well financially - quite well. It gave them time for other investments and hobbies. So that's another far end aspect of what you can do later on.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. Hope that helps you some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if I posted a question that irks you or is asked frequently or something, sunnysideOS, but I ran a search and no one has asked this question in at least the past 6 months, which is as far back as I looked before posting.

CookieBear, thanks for your reply.

I don't think sunnysideOS was irked. There was a HUGE discussion about vet salaries recently and the thread was very long: I think that's what he/she was referring to in their remark.

But I don't recall YOUR question actually being asked. Always ask questions even if you "irk" people a little. Although I really don't think you took sunnysideOS's remark the right way. Besides, it's always hard to get a "feel" for people in cyberspace.

That's the point of the board is to get information :) Ask!

AAHA does studies on this and JAVMA also publishes some surveys of salaries.

For 2005 (JAAHA):
Owner veterinarians: $124,600
Associate veterinarians: $74,700

A lot of these will break down LA, SA, mixed, etc. I can't recall anything for emergency specifically, but if you dig around you might find some numbers. You also need to look at full time vs. part time and benefits.