Employment & Professional Networking Salary Qs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot.3277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for realistic statistics on salaries. Considering undergrad and grad tuition, I'd like to have a clear idea of what I'll be paying back/how long I'll be paying for vs what the salary range is. I've seen mixed statistics ranging from 52k-85k for the average in Chicago. Since that is such a spectrum, I'm looking for first hand experience on what is typical.

I am interested in rehab/stroke in a hospital setting, geriatrics, home health, SNF, and possibly research. I'm not interested in peds or outpatient settings. I am from the chicago area or suburbs and considering moving to the denver CO area down the road. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to be applying to OT school next year, but after researching typical job salaries for Occupational Therapists, I would also agree that the salary range is anywhere between 65,000 to over 120,000 (here in California). I would search for OT jobs on INDEED or any other site and look at salaries offered for those jobs in your area.

Good luck!!

It is $45 an hour in SNF in Metro Detroit area. Told this 2 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a new grad in Chicago, here's what I can say from my experience and what I've heard from classmates. Starting salary at a SNF is ~$35-36 per hour, hospital is ~$30 per hour, outpatient peds it's lower, I've heard 50-55k. Home health pays really well, like 6 figures, but you typically need several years experience before they'll hire you.

Wow Werdna those are some low figures. It must be because there are a lot of OTs in the area?

Metro Detroit home care agencies pay $100 a visit (the smaller agencies) and the VNA was paying $55 a visit several years ago. I have 3 home care agencies calling me still asking when I can join. Haven't graduated.

Wow Werdna those are some low figures. It must be because there are a lot of OTs in the area?

Metro Detroit home care agencies pay $100 a visit (the smaller agencies) and the VNA was paying $55 a visit several years ago. I have 3 home care agencies calling me still asking when I can join. Haven't graduated.

Chicago has 5 OT schools so I'm sure supply/demand affects salaries. I've heard from recruiters and professors that for new grads, the national average is in the low 60s. I was approached about a SNF job in California starting at 89k, which I was told was really high for a new grad. (the location was not that great)

Home health/EI will always pay the most but at least in Chicago, they want people with experience. Travel OTs have really high hourly rates and great benefits as well, but experience is also typically required for the more desirable locations.

Between my classmates and I, salary ranged between 40k to 72k in NYC. If you work with an agency, your pay can potentially be higher but you'll have no benefits.

thank you all, this was all really helpful