Salus Acceptance - Questions !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curioustina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from So Cal and I have never been away from home, so moving to the East Coast would be a major life change for me.

So I am still in shock but I received a letter of acceptance from Salus. The letter says I have 14 days to decide or put the $500 deposit. I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but I honestly don't think I will get in the others. Other schools have simply asked me to retake OAT, but I think that last effort was my best effort. I have a low OAT score so I was surprised Salus didn't ask me to retake it. Just wanted some advice on what to do. But I was hoping others who are in Salus can give their input of the campus/please be honest and don't sugar coat anything or others who have gotten accepted explain why they are choosing Salus over other schools. Also has anyone else heard back from Salus, I guess I am just still skeptical and why did they get back to me so fast....?

Thank you! Much appreciated, I'm on a deadline T-minus 14 days

Members don't see this ad.

I am from So Cal and I have never been away from home, so moving to the East Coast would be a major life change for me.

So I am still in shock but I received a letter of acceptance from Salus. The letter says I have 14 days to decide or put the $500 deposit. I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but I honestly don't think I will get in the others. Other schools have simply asked me to retake OAT, but I think that last effort was my best effort. I have a low OAT score so I was surprised Salus didn't ask me to retake it. Just wanted some advice on what to do. But I was hoping others who are in Salus can give their input of the campus/please be honest and don't sugar coat anything or others who have gotten accepted explain why they are choosing Salus over other schools. Also has anyone else heard back from Salus, I guess I am just still skeptical and why did they get back to me so fast....?

Thank you! Much appreciated, I'm on a deadline T-minus 14 days

Hi hi!
I'm also originally from Socal (Cerritos) so I can relate very much to you. I did go to undergrad in Mass tho so I'm slightly accustomed to the east coast. I actually love it here, snow really isn't that bad once you get used to it. I've been accepted to Salus and it was actually my top choice and I'm attending next fall. I choose Salus because of their clinical experience. I like that you truly get an early start and everything is a very hands on learning experience. You go in to shadow as a first year so you get to see upperclass perform the exam - they have the motto see one, do one, teach one which I think is effective. They also have a unique externship where you start early - 2nd semester of 3rd year instead of the usually 1st of 4th. I think its better to start early, whether you're ready or not because you learn the fastest when you get into it early - my opinion. If you read through old post you'll see that Salus is not a favorite of many usually because of class size and the way the curriculum is set up. However, I think that the class size isn't that bad because you're only with everyone during lecture. All other times - lab, clinical - is split up into cohorts, plus bigger class = more diversity = more people to study with LOL. As for the curriculum if you already interviewed you should know that they recently had a change in dean and she's making it a lot better. Again, if you read through some post you can see that recent classmates like it a lot better. I think they should have went over this during the interview so I'm gonna save myself from typing about it haha. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

Salus is actually my top choice too. Would you mind sharing your stats and experience? Thank you.

I'm currently a 1st year OD student at Salus and wanted to share my experience so far with you. We just finished finals last week, deep breath, whoooo!! We have about 160 students in our graduating class, but you only see all the students in your main lecture classes like Optometry2017 said. Our labs and clinics are broken up into 4 sections of about 40 students each, so those are the people that you see the most.

Our campus is going through renovations right now, so the entering class of 2017 will be practicing in new labs and studying in our new library!! The faculty and staff here are extremely friendly, and that's another reason why I chose to attend Salus. The main reason I chose Salus was for their specialties and residencies, along with the Eye Institute of course, like most students. I attended clinic once every 3 weeks or so, and I was able to watch 3rd year students perform exams. I was able to see things you think you would only read about in a textbook, but I was lucky enough to witness it my first year, first semester of OD school. We also start learning clinical skills our first semester since we do enter clinics earlier than most schools, which is a great thing. Salus is very patient oriented, and it reflects in the curriculum.

Curioustina, don't feel skeptical about why Salus chose you. If you received an interview and an acceptance letter, then you are more than qualified to be here. You can check out my class profile at the link below to see where you stand compared to the current class. Remember that over 1,100 people apply, and not all are given an interview or an acceptance letter, so you are one of the fortunate ones. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted so far, and I look forward to meeting the class of 2021 in the fall. If you have any questions, please feel free to msg me personally.

http://www.salus.edu/getattachment/...Process/PROFILE-APPS-ODP-Class-of-20.pdf.aspx