same job opportunities for MDs and DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsdjock1734

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if MDs and DOs can do the same professions, for example can DOs be anesthesiologists, otolaryngologists, radiation oncologists...etc.? I know they can compete for the same residencies, but are there residencies for these professions just in the DO department also?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, DOs can do everything MDs can do. And yes, there are some residencies that only DOs can enter.

as i was reading this thread, the new gap commercial came on that sings "anything you can do, i can do better. i can do anything better than you," which i find to be a funny coincidence haha.

disclaimer: i'm not saying DOs can do anything better, since we're equals in the field. but i couldn't help not posting :D

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to some of the highly competitive specialties, there are few exclusively-osteopathic options. If you plan to go into something like that, plan to apply to allopathic programs.

I am wondering if there is a way for a DO to become an anesthesiologist or otolaryngologist etc. without going through an allopathic residency, or is an allopathic residency required for most of these physician specialties?
-thanks

as i was reading this thread, the new gap commercial came on that sings "anything you can do, i can do better. i can do anything better than you," which i find to be a funny coincidence haha.

disclaimer: i'm not saying DOs can do anything better, since we're equals in the field. but i couldn't help not posting :D

I hate that commercial with every fiber of my being. It's so annoying. :smuggrin:

Oright, i have a super noob question. I'm not really understanding what you guys mean by residency. I was planning on becoming a DO and specializing in anesthesiology. I'm not really understanding what you guys are saying. Are you guys saying that for you to specialize in a field that competitive, you should go to an MD school? And when you guys say allopathic residency, does that mean that when you go to an MD school, that you can only work in a place in the state where you got your diploma?

Yes... i know... i should probably already know this, but i just recently decided to be a pre med.

Oright, i have a super noob question. I'm not really understanding what you guys mean by residency. I was planning on becoming a DO and specializing in anesthesiology. I'm not really understanding what you guys are saying. Are you guys saying that for you to specialize in a field that competitive, you should go to an MD school? And when you guys say allopathic residency, does that mean that when you go to an MD school, that you can only work in a place in the state where you got your diploma?

Yes... i know... i should probably already know this, but i just recently decided to be a pre med.

No, you do not need to go to a MD school for a competitive specialty. There are DO residencies, and MD residencies, DO's can do either type (you may have to take the USMLE step 1 in addition to the COMLEX 1 for some of the more competitive allo residencies). MDs can only do allopathic residencies.

I do not think anesthesiology is overly competitive and there are plenty of DO residencies for it. I think in the future it will only become less competitive because they are kind of getting screwed with Medicare/Medicaid/insurance reimbursement.

Keep in mind, I will not even start medical school until next fall though, so please do not assume my opinions to be fact. I would ask around the Clinical rotations forum for a more informed answer.

1.) Attend four years of medical school

2.) Apply for Osteopathic or Allopathic residency program for another 3-7 years (family medicine, surgery...etc)

3.) Become your specialty of choice and practice

see how easy that is..

I do not think anesthesiology is overly competitive and there are plenty of DO residencies for it. I think in the future it will only become less competitive because they are kind of getting screwed with Medicare/Medicaid/insurance reimbursement.

Anesthesiology is a specialty that waxes and wanes in competitiveness. Recently, it has become a very popular specialty. This means that it has been more challenging. I can say that all specialties are having challenges with the Medicare/Medicaid/insurance reimbursement, so not only is anesthesia being affected, all of them are. It will be interesting to see how much the insurance companies and lawyers can negatively impact our health care before people get irritated.

Wook

It will be interesting to see how much the insurance companies and lawyers can negatively impact our health care before people get irritated.

Wook

Funny thing is, even when it gets to that point and people start getting angry with their medical care, it won't be the lawyers and corporate scum's fault, it will be the physicians' fault, because we are the ones they actually see and the corporate types are the "men behind the curtain" in this grand land we call Medicine.

We're off to see the wizard...

jd

Members don't see this ad :)
A Physician gets paid a physician's salary and performs the duties defined by their specific role or specialty(more often what their malpractice covers them for). To become a licensed physician you need either an MD or DO (in the US atleast, I guess for that matter you can have an MBBS or the other dozen medical degree and pass the USMLE and do a residency in the US to practice here). I recently read a statistic that 40% I belive of the physician in New Jersey are foreign medical graduates, many of these institutions do not grant an MD, they may have that on their white coat, but that is not their degree. So enough with the MD/DO, if your a physician your a physician and are granted all the priveledges thereunto pertaining.

The same thing if you want to be a dentist, you need either a DDS or a DMD. The same thing if you want to be a vet, you need either a VMD or a DVM. The same thing if you want to work at a bank, you can have a degree in finance, business, or who knows what else. The DO is your degree, not the title of your job. A chemical engineer is a chemical engineer, they aren't refered to by BS or a MS.

A Physician gets paid a physician's salary and performs the duties defined by their specific role or specialty(more often what their malpractice covers them for). To become a licensed physician you need either an MD or DO (in the US atleast, I guess for that matter you can have an MBBS or the other dozen medical degree and pass the USMLE and do a residency in the US to practice here). I recently read a statistic that 40% I belive of the physician in New Jersey are foreign medical graduates, many of these institutions do not grant an MD, they may have that on their white coat, but that is not their degree. So enough with the MD/DO, if your a physician your a physician and are granted all the priveledges thereunto pertaining.

The same thing if you want to be a dentist, you need either a DDS or a DMD. The same thing if you want to be a vet, you need either a VMD or a DVM. The same thing if you want to work at a bank, you can have a degree in finance, business, or who knows what else. The DO is your degree, not the title of your job. A chemical engineer is a chemical engineer, they aren't refered to by BS or a MS.

:thumbup:

Funny thing is, even when it gets to that point and people start getting angry with their medical care, it won't be the lawyers and corporate scum's fault, it will be the physicians' fault, because we are the ones they actually see and the corporate types are the "men behind the curtain" in this grand land we call Medicine.

We're off to see the wizard...

jd

If the medical providers would gather their collective resources, we could have more power than corporations and insurance companies. The lobbying power spread throughout the medical field is huge, there just needs to be someone to bring it all together. Unionize, maybe by specialty first and then as physicians and medical practitioners.

If the medical providers would gather their collective resources, we could have more power than corporations and insurance companies. The lobbying power spread throughout the medical field is huge, there just needs to be someone to bring it all together. Unionize, maybe by specialty first and then as physicians and medical practitioners.

There already are specialty PACs lobbying for each specific specialty's issues as well as AMA and AOA PACs lobbying for their own agendas.

At least part of the problem is, that each specialty is too busy trying to prevent other specialties from moving into their turf to join together and fight the real common "enemies." Another problem is that we can't all agree on a single agenda to put forth - we need to come up with a good platform that we can all (or at least the vast majority) get behind and present to the country as a unified group.

Until we, as a group, are able to look past our collective noses and band together as a single voice, nothing productive will ever happen.

I just hope we can all get together and get the word out before it is too late.

jd

Hopefully all of us will realize how to make it different when we're in their shoes. Not realizing how much (political) power we could wield in numbers is a common problem amongst the masses. I'm in for a united medical professional voice, and it should include all professions, dentists, doctors, optometrists, etc...

:laugh: We all have to start somewhere. A residency is basically a hospital program you enter after finishing medical school, it has nothing to do with what state you got your degree in. It's basically your "specialty" of choice, but you can further specialize by doing a fellowship afterwards.
There are osteopathic and allopathic residencies. A DO can enter either one, but an MD can only enter an allopathic one. However, a DO might have to jump thru a few more hoops to get into a really competitive allopathic one. There are both osteopathic and allopathic anesthesiology residencies, so either path will get you there.

*obligatory post pointing out that MDs can't perform manipulations so one less opportunity for them*

Sure they can. DOs and MDs are granted the same license. Anything an MD can do a DO can do and vice versa. Of course, MDs don't have training in OMM, but if they can always learn it if they want to do it...I know an MD who had a DO teach him some basic OMM.

The main point is they are equivalent degrees and medicine is medicine either way you get the degree.

Hopefully all of us will realize how to make it different when we're in their shoes. Not realizing how much (political) power we could wield in numbers is a common problem amongst the masses. I'm in for a united medical professional voice, and it should include all professions, dentists, doctors, optometrists, etc...

Hey Steiner - nice Avatar.

You know what they always say...

This post makes me want to poke my eyes out with a fork so that I dont have to see anymore of these threads on SDN. Why oh why do I always get suckered into clicking on them? And once I click its like I have to read it since Im already here. grrrr.

This post makes me want to poke my eyes out with a fork so that I dont have to see anymore of these threads on SDN. Why oh why do I always get suckered into clicking on them? And once I click its like I have to read it since Im already here. grrrr.

Any application progress???Keep me posted please :) :) :) Good Luck!!!

Have you been studying for that MCAT? Time better spent studying than looking through pointless threads ...

Yes I have Inviz, havent you noticed I have not been posting lately? Shouldnt you be, you know, out in the daylight speaking to others that are not on SDN? :) Taty, I have no progress to report unfortunatly :( but I did get into a 2 year grad program and I hopefully will get into my first choice post bac UNTHSC Medical Science program. I have been pretty stressed with school, as everyone is this late into the semester I guess. So have you chosen NYCOM for sure?

Does it make a difference MD vs Do, if you have no idea what kind of specialty you are interested in going into? Are you exposed equally to each type of specialty in both MD and DO schools? :confused: