Program-Specific Info / Q's Samuel Merritt OTD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernice17

Reaction score
Any one got invited interview for this program yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope not yet! I received an email on 11/1 requesting applicants not to inquire about status reports and that they are processing applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an invitation too! It says they encourage to pick the December interview date, however, I won’t be able to make it that day since I’ll be in hawaii. Anybody else picking the January date?! Nervous and excited! I interviewed with them 2 years ago and got waitlisted, then took a year break to gain more experience. Hopefully I can get in this time! :)

Just got an invitation - am accepting for the December date (since I got the vibe from the email that you have a better shot of getting in if you interview in December).

This year is my first time applying to OT school (I'm finishing up my last year of undergrad now). Hope this interview goes well - I have a few other interviews scheduled as well but this school is my top choice!!!

I just got an invitation too! It says they encourage to pick the December interview date, however, I won’t be able to make it that day since I’ll be in hawaii. Anybody else picking the January date?! Nervous and excited! I interviewed with them 2 years ago and got waitlisted, then took a year break to gain more experience. Hopefully I can get in this time! :)

That's great! What was the vibe of the school when you interviewed before? What sort of things did people wear to the interview?

Which date did you choose? I asked for the interview date in December - I'm hoping to get an afternoon session since I'll be coming from out of town

I chose the December date! along with the PM session.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

What was the interview like? It seems like they interview a lot of people.

Once you guys emailed back your availability, did any of you receive a confirmation for the interview today? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t get a confirmation either! Did anyone? Relieved I’m not the only one. I requested December AM.

I have already received my confirmation! I emailed the guy they said to email but cc Kate? (Sorry, forgot their names)

I didn’t get a confirmation either! Did anyone? Relieved I’m not the only one. I requested December AM.

I haven't received a confirmation email either and I requested December AM as well! Hopefully we hear back soon, I just sent another email asking for an update

I haven't received a confirmation email either and I requested December AM as well! Hopefully we hear back soon, I just sent another email asking for an update
I emailed too and just heard back, like 2 minutes after pressing send. It looks like a form letter but I got my preferred date and time.

Made an account just to comment on this thread! I also got an invitation to the interview! Got a confirmation for my interview in December for the AM slot! Is there anyone who has attended Samuel Merritt or is currently a student that can possibly provide any helpful advice regarding the interview process? Congrats on everyone who made it this far :)

Last edited:
I just got an email for an interview on January 12. Anyone here going on that day?

I just got an email for an interview on January 12. Anyone here going on that day?
Hey!

I just got an email and I'll be having an interview on Jan. 12 in the PM!

Are you going AM or PM?

I got a confirmation email for Jan. 12 in the PM. They mentioned that they hold the same amount of spots for those interviewed in December for January interviewees.

Wishing everyone good luck on the interview! I read in previous forms that it's pretty laid back and that there are current students around to answer any questions we have.

Who else is doing Dec 15th AM? Might be nice to have someone to meet so we’re not just milling around by ourselves.

I have an interview for Dec 15th AM! I'm nervous but also looking forward to it!!

Reactions: 1 user
I also received an invitation to interview for Dec 15 AM! I'm nervous but have seen many forum posts saying that the environment is more relaxed than anything.

I will attend the interview Samuel Merritt OT program tomorrow. I just read its website, and be little bit confused about the fact that it said that it has more admitted numbers of applicants than its class size. It said that last year it admitted 61 students but the class size was 42.
Is there any one knows how to explain this fact? Thanks

I will attend the interview Samuel Merritt OT program tomorrow. I just read its website, and be little bit confused about the fact that it said that it has more admitted numbers of applicants than its class size. It said that last year it admitted 61 students but the class size was 42.
Is there any one knows how to explain this fact? Thanks
I think it must be people who decline, so they pull people off the waitlist!

I think it must be people who decline, so they pull people off the waitlist!
I guess that the number of a
61 admitted would include the waitlist number, or it would accept 42 students and offer 19 people in waiting lists.
If it admits 61 people and all accept the offers, that would be different thing as the class size is 42 students. Just my opinion.

who else who had the Saturday interview is just losing it right now? We could hear Friday! And if not, we have to wait until late January. I’m so impatient.

I wish I could tell! It went by so fast! Depending on my mood I think I did great or terrible. How about you?
I think I did great with interview but the writing was little awkward and messy. I am chronically inclined to computer typing, so the hand writing made the writing so terrible; a lot of words adds in the between. Hope everything is working out fine.

I wish I could tell! It went by so fast! Depending on my mood I think I did great or terrible. How about you?

Honestly, very similar to what you said. I felt like the interview went well but then I think about it then I’m like .. oh no should’ve answered it differently ahah. The writing portion wasn’t too bad but idk. Hope we all did well

What was the dress code like, business casual or more formal? I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear for January interview, it's making me nervous!!

What was the dress code like, business casual or more formal? I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear for January interview, it's making me nervous!!

Ppl wore blazers & dress pants! Some wore skirts and stuff but just make sure you look formal!

Ppl wore blazers & dress pants! Some wore skirts and stuff but just make sure you look formal!

Thanks for clearing that up! I was reading previous forums saying that it was business casual, but it's always safe to go formal.

Thank you so much!!

Yes good luck to everyone! Hope we’re all back here Friday with good news- or at least in January. 40% or greater of interviewees get offers (max invitations is 150, 61 acceptances including those that come off waitlist) so odds aren’t too bad!!

I got the call from Kasie Lemmer today! I got in! Good luck to the rest of you!

I got the call from Kasie Lemmer today! I got in! Good luck to the rest of you!
congratulations!! wow you heard back even sooner than Friday! You must have really been an outstanding candidate :p

I just got a call as well!!! I got in too :) hope the best for everyone else!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just got the call from Kasie Lemmer as well!!! I got in too :) hope the best for everyone else!!

Congratulations! I was at a store with bad reception and my toddler was talking in my other ear, and I was too excited to pay attention very closely-how do we accept? She said we have 10 days but the offices close soon. Seems like doing it today or tomorrow is best, but I don’t know how. I assumed I’d get an email but haven’t.

Look forward to meeting you! :)

Congratulations! I was at a store with bad reception and my toddler was talking in my other ear, and I was too excited to pay attention very closely-how do we accept? She said we have 10 days but the offices close soon. Seems like doing it today or tomorrow is best, but I don’t know how. I assumed I’d get an email but haven’t.

Look forward to meeting you! :)
she said that we would get an auto-generated email tomorrow! They just called to let us know that we got in I guess :p I was so excited I could barely hear what she said too when she went in detail with the email instructions haha, probably best to do it either right when we receive the email or within the following week!

same! excited to work with ya :)

Ahh I'm so excited for you guys!! I'm trying to settle my nerves for January but its such a long wait...

Ahh I'm so excited for you guys!! I'm trying to settle my nerves for January but its such a long wait...
The interview is very simple and low key! Prep answers for your standard interview questions and be yourself! It goes by fast.

Easier said than done! But I've been practicing in the car lol. About how many questions did they ask? And did they ask anything off the application?

Omg congrats to everyone that has heard back! I am currently out of the country so if they called me I don’t know ugh! Do you guys think they would just email me instead if I did get in and they can’t get a hold of me??

Omg congrats to everyone that has heard back! I am currently out of the country so if they called me I don’t know ugh! Do you guys think they would just email me instead if I did get in and they can’t get a hold of me??
They are sending out official emails to people who got in today so I expect you will get one then if you got in regardless of whether you were able to take the call!

They are sending out official emails to people who got in today so I expect you will get one then if you got in regardless of whether you were able to take the call!

Hey! Are you having trouble with submitting your letter of intent??

Hey! Are you having trouble with submitting your letter of intent??

Yes!! I think we need a separate ID/password than the one we just set up, and that will probably be in the official email invitation- the stuff we just got seems like some automated thing that happens when you've been accepted. I'm hoping they'll send out an official invitation and that will have our SMU ID or how to get it. I'm getting worried, I'd like to get this done and it's the last business day before they're out of the office for 2 weeks!

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with the admissions counselor and she said that we should be getting an email to create our SMU ID & PW 24 hours after creating our portal log-in. She said their IT team is already out for break so if it's something that's IT dependent and if by any chance we can't create our ID & PW by ourselves then we don't have to worry if there is no way to deposit our fee for acceptance or submit our letter of intent.

Just be sure to call after they're back from break on January 2nd or send them an email during break letting them know you're going to be accepting the invitation! It's great that they called us knowing we got in but also a bit worrying because we can't really contact with them for the next two weeks if we have questions! haha