All Branch Topic (ABT) San Antonio apartments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might have an opportunity at Fort Sam Houston for 1-2 years. Would just be interested in an apartment, not buying. Any location recommendations relatively convenient to SAMMC? Anything good to say about the newer places on Binz-Engleman besides convenient location?

I would really prefer to live inside 410 loop and definitely inside 1604.

Several years ago I stayed for a few days with a friend at the Meridian apartments on East Basse (near the Quarry). Talk about nice; the rent was $1650/mo for a one bedroom. He had looked at other places in Alamo Heights and also along Broadway.

I lived in San Antonio back in the 1980s when assigned to Lackland/Kelly and am generally familiar with that side of town ... seems to have really gone downhill.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what exactly your looking for specifically, but if you're looking for close to fort sam, nice (and expensive), walkable neighborhoods the two areas I can think of are the Pearl and Southtown. I own across the street from the Pearl, and I love my neighborhood (and my short commute to work).

I lived on cripple creek drive off harry wurzbach. Might be ghetto now though.

Look for somewhere in Alamo Heights, Quarry or Lincoln Heights. These neighborhoods are all inside the loop. 10-15 minutes from Ft Sam. 15-20 minutes from down town. Medical Center is dumpy now. Area around Lackland is crappy. I lived in Alamo Heights during residency. Loved it. If I ever stayed in San Antonio, that is the only place I'd buy.