San Juan Bautista hopefuls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khanoom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its a LCME school, but anyone out there going to SJB now. I would love to ask some questions?????? Im interviewing there soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a student, but an applicant. When did you get everything into them? Did they need your birth cert before they reviewed you?

I know its a LCME school, but anyone out there going to SJB now. I would love to ask some questions?????? Im interviewing there soon.

how did they contact you for the interview phone or letter?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am currently a first year MD student in SJB. What q's do you have?

I just interviewed there last week...so wish me luck

I am currently a first year MD student in SJB. What q's do you have?

I was curious what percentage of the classes are in english?
I dont speak a lot of spanish but I am very interested in attending SJB.

and overall what do you think about the school? The professors and such.

thanx

I just interviewed there last week...so wish me luck

How was the interview? What kind of questions were you asked?

if you dont mind. I hope Im not at an disadvantage because I havent interviewed yet.

How was the interview? What kind of questions were you asked?

if you dont mind. I hope Im not at an disadvantage because I havent interviewed yet.

it still early in the process so don't worry...it was a group interview in spanish...and they asked questions about health care in PR, also they asked questions about the US primaries... and if you did research be ready to explain what you did...it was very relax....and you don't get to answer all the question...they ask certain questions to specific people... good luck

it still early in the process so don't worry...it was a group interview in spanish...and they asked questions about health care in PR, also they asked questions about the US primaries... and if you did research be ready to explain what you did...it was very relax....and you don't get to answer all the question...they ask certain questions to specific people... good luck

Thanx for the information. I take it you are latina/o or are Puerto rican or speak spanish fluently...

Bueno suerte to you too.

what's the SJB application deadline? Did people submit a seperate spurpose statement or just use your PS form AMCAS?? Has anyone answered that question about being completly fluent in spanish for the interviews??

I called yesterday. They told me that letters were sent in the morning with decisions. good luck.

I was also contacted for an interview. However since my Spanish is very poor (I'm a non-native speaker and it's been a while since I took Spanish in high school), should I just forget about it if the interview is going to be in Spanish?

quick question!!!! why is this school which is LCME accredited on the caribbean forum....

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question!!!! why is this school which is LCME accredited on the caribbean forum....

Because the pre-allo forum is hostile: you can't ask a question about the PR schools there because people will yell at you to go to the Caribbean forum because they don't know what PR is. (If they only knew what they were missing!)

Also, all the traffic comes here because there are existing threads on Ponce, and it's the only place you can find information about the PR schools. Except UCC, apparently; nobody seems to know anything about UCC.

Lastly, this question gets asked here about every 3 months. There is no method to this madness.

Lol!!! Thank you DrMidlife, we should try to educate them... that's kind of ignorant on their part

I Am In..
ccongrats! I spoke to Mrs. Sanchez today and she said they are interviewing until April/May depending on the applicant pool and acceptances. For those who have interviewed how long did it take after submitting your Application form and additional materials before they contacted you for an interview? Was it longer than a month?

It is a shame that people smart enough to become MDs can't tell the difference between a US territory with schools that are LECM accrecdited and places where graduates are FMS.

The other bad part is that (I agree), there isn't much info on the other schools. Ponce has a good following, but I do wish there was a way to get additional information about UCC, UPR (if I were eligible), and SJB. Well hopefully we can all post what we know to help those who come after us. G'luck to all!

Lol!!! Thank you DrMidlife, we should try to educate them... that's kind of ignorant on their part

If you educate them that they can get fluent in Spanish near a beach during allo med school, there will only be more applicants to PR...

Actually, no, there probably wouldn't. Fear, uncertainty and rumor will always rule the pre-allo forum.

For those who have interviewed how long did it take after submitting your Application form and additional materials before they contacted you for an interview? Was it longer than a month?

anyone????

I had everything don by January. My interview was on
02/15/08. I got their letter last week.
good luck.
anyone knows about housing down there?

tengo entrevista para SJB el 14. Ya van 4 personas que me dicen que estudiar ahi es perder el dinero y el tiempo e igual en UCC. Asi que no voy a ir a la entrevista. Me aconsejaron que esperara un ano debido a que tengo buenos numeros (mcat y gpa) y solicitara para la UPR. Q creen?. Todavia estoy en espera de que me llamen para entrevistarme en Ponce debido a que termine de entregar todo la semana pasada. Ponce me dijeron que era muy buena.....Bueno suerte a todos

No creo que le dieran la acreditacion de LCME si fuera una perdida de tiempo... mucha gente no sabe lo que hablan!!!!!

tengo entrevista para SJB el 14. Ya van 4 personas que me dicen que estudiar ahi es perder el dinero y el tiempo e igual en UCC. Asi que no voy a ir a la entrevista. Me aconsejaron que esperara un ano debido a que tengo buenos numeros (mcat y gpa) y solicitara para la UPR. Q creen?. Todavia estoy en espera de que me llamen para entrevistarme en Ponce debido a que termine de entregar todo la semana pasada. Ponce me dijeron que era muy buena.....Bueno suerte a todos
buena suerte. si quieres espera un anio y dejale la plaza a alguien que este mas motivado a estudiar medicina.

buena suerte. si quieres espera un anio y dejale la plaza a alguien que este mas motivado a estudiar medicina.
Alguna vez dije que no estaba motivado a estudiar medicina? Que quiera estudiar en el lugar mejor no significa que no este motivado.

Cuales son los argumentos en contra de SJB y UCC?, eres residente en:) PR?

Yo creo que no importa la escuela de medicina donde estudies sea importante, sino lo que importa es tu interes ,capacidad y compromiso con la profesion de la medicina. Yo conozco a medicos egresados de SJB y UCC que estan igual o mejor capacitados que medicos de RCM, asi que no se que argumento utilize la gente para decir que estudiar en UCC o SJB sea una perdida de dinero. Quizas lo que sucede es que la gente muestra cierto grado de inclinacion a pensar que la unica escuela de medicina es RCM y si no estudias en esta escuela no eres medico, pero en el futuro se dan cuenta que las demas escuelas son de igual o mejor calidad.:)

Yo creo que no importa la escuela de medicina donde estudies sea importante, sino lo que importa es tu interes ,capacidad y compromiso con la profesion de la medicina. Yo conozco a medicos egresados de SJB y UCC que estan igual o mejor capacitados que medicos de RCM, asi que no se que argumento utilize la gente para decir que estudiar en UCC o SJB sea una perdida de dinero. Quizas lo que sucede es que la gente muestra cierto grado de inclinacion a pensar que la unica escuela de medicina es RCM y si no estudias en esta escuela no eres medico, pero en el futuro se dan cuenta que las demas escuelas son de igual o mejor calidad.:)

Exactamente!!! Hay mucha gente ignorante...

I got accepted at SJB today. I didnt apply to any of the other schools because I thought my spanish was not good enough and I had heard that SJB was a bit more flexible with that. My interview was entirely in english. Anyway, Im coming to PR. Im very excited because I think it will be a great experience for my husband and I.

Thank you everyone for being so great and supportive.

Any information on housing and good areas in caguas would be great for me as well.

I got accepted at SJB today. I didnt apply to any of the other schools because I thought my spanish was not good enough and I had heard that SJB was a bit more flexible with that. My interview was entirely in english. Anyway, Im coming to PR. Im very excited because I think it will be a great experience for my husband and I.

Any information on housing and good areas in caguas would be great for me as well.
congrats!! When did you interview? When were you complete? I have the same concern about my Spanish fluency, but I also applied to Ponce since I heard sometimes the interviews are in english. Do you live in PR on in the contental US? I'm still waiting to hear about an interview there :-\

I like the caguas area. It is calmer and nicer for families than the san juan area. There is an apartment complex named Vista Real is very nice you might want to check it out.

congrats!! When did you interview? When were you complete? I have the same concern about my Spanish fluency, but I also applied to Ponce since I heard sometimes the interviews are in english. Do you live in PR on in the contental US? I'm still waiting to hear about an interview there :-\

Ponce does interviews in English. I interviewed there and I had one interview in English, one in Spanish. There are plenty of American students in Ponce, and when I went there almost everybody spoke English to me (and I'm Puerto Rican). I think you would be fine there as long as you learn some conversational Spanish. Good Luck!

Ponce does interviews in English. I interviewed there and I had one interview in English, one in Spanish. There are plenty of American students in Ponce, and when I went there almost everybody spoke English to me (and I'm Puerto Rican). I think you would be fine there as long as you learn some conversational Spanish. Good Luck!
thanks lilrpez, here's hoping they interview me! I've taken 2 Spanish classes, and I took French before that so my reading is ok because a lot of the words are similar (goota love the romance languages)! But my conversational Spanish (and French) is not good. I have rosetta stone which I'm about to start using, and I'm going to see if I can find some audio files to download and listen to in the car and work. Can't hurt. Even if I don't get into one of the PR schools, I still think being fluent in Spanish will be really beneficial, since I want to work in an urban underserved community (prob DC or NYC), it would be more useful in NYC though. Does anyone know about the school's history for the application process? Like how long their interview and the general stats for incoming applicants? I know it's a long shot this late in the game but I'm so passionate about becoming a physician, that I think going to school in PR would be a really enriching experience. Congrats to all accepted/interviewing!!

Yes I guess in hindsight I should have applied to Ponce as well. My MCATs were def. competitive enough, but Im just glad I got into SJB and that its LCME accredited, the rest is up to me. Getting into med school is pretty tough these days and this is my second career so I feel pretty lucky either way.

good luck everyone, and maybe our paths will cross

I like the caguas area. It is calmer and nicer for families than the san juan area. There is an apartment complex named Vista Real is very nice you might want to check it out.

Thanx liripez. I will look into it. Please let me know of any other places that you hear of.

Good Luck To All Of You Guys. I Got In At Psm. Yea

hey,Khanoom if you call the school and talk to housing they will send you a list of the apartments and houses that are for rent close to the school... I'm going next month to look for one!!!

SJB school of medicine class of 2012!!!! :thumbup:

:D San Juan Bautista School of Medicine class of 2012 !!!! see you over there DoctorELG... My name is Emilio

Last edited:
:D San Juan Bautista School of Medicine class of 2012 !!!! see you over there DoctorELG... My name is Alex

sound good man. I think orientation starts august 7!!! not sure when is the white coat ceremony?

hey,Khanoom if you call the school and talk to housing they will send you a list of the apartments and houses that are for rent close to the school... I'm going next month to look for one!!!

SJB school of medicine class of 2012!!!! :thumbup:

So I wonder if we should do a face book or something or even start a thread for SJB folks. It would be nice to know whose going to be in our class from the mainland and Puerto Rico.

im coming all the way from California with my husband whose a teacher.
How about the rest of you?

I wont arrive in Puerto Rico until much later in July I have to finish teaching but let me know if you see any nice clean apartments.

SJB Class of 2012!

Khanoom,
When did you interview? I think we interviewed the same day! I agree, we should start a thread. I will probably be moving to PR in July but may visit before that to look for apts.

Suggestions for nice apts in the area are welcome!

-------
SJB 2012
Non-trad
Orig. from PR
Living in Boston, MA

I interviewed on Feb 13, and was recently accepted for Aug 2008. I have to say that I was VERY IMPRESSED by what I saw down there. I also called the LCME and inquired about SJB, the women said "they are a very enthusiastic group and we have seen great things from them." This def. put my mind to rest about all of the rumors that make their way onto these forums (usually without any facts to back them.)

For those who are considering applying think of some of these pros:

- you will learn spanish and even if you speak spanish, you will learn the terminology in spanish (which as a native spanish speaker myself, is foreign to me.)

- All branches of the military have several bases there is you are doing any of their scholarship programs (I am doing Air National Guard - 3 bases all nearby)

- LCME ACCREDITED and on the grounds of a 25 acre hospital serving a city of over 150,000 people! (should of put this first)

- It is a US territory and flights from anywhere in FL leave every hour for $100 - $250 and you do not need a passport!

- Lastly, the people in the city are great and the faculty could not be nicer!

sorry if this was long and redundant but the fact that I have seen how great it is down there really makes some of these rumors seem even more ridiculous....This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to get into an up and comin LCME accredited program (with a beach, rainforest and great food!)

I interviewed on Feb 13, and was recently accepted for Aug 2008. I have to say that I was VERY IMPRESSED by what I saw down there. I also called the LCME and inquired about SJB, the women said "they are a very enthusiastic group and we have seen great things from them." This def. put my mind to rest about all of the rumors that make their way onto these forums (usually without any facts to back them.)

For those who are considering applying think of some of these pros:

- you will learn spanish and even if you speak spanish, you will learn the terminology in spanish (which as a native spanish speaker myself, is foreign to me.)

- All branches of the military have several bases there is you are doing any of their scholarship programs (I am doing Air National Guard - 3 bases all nearby)

- LCME ACCREDITED and on the grounds of a 25 acre hospital serving a city of over 150,000 people! (should of put this first)

- It is a US territory and flights from anywhere in FL leave every hour for $100 - $250 and you do not need a passport!

- Lastly, the people in the city are great and the faculty could not be nicer!

sorry if this was long and redundant but the fact that I have seen how great it is down there really makes some of these rumors seem even more ridiculous....This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to get into an up and comin LCME accredited program (with a beach, rainforest and great food!)

yes!!!!, and the school is minutes away from San Juan, the capital :thumbup: even more possibilities to do your rotations

Does anyone know if SJBSOM allows students to complete third and/or fourth year rotations on the mainland (assuming they are ACGME certified)?

After seeing how beautiful PR is and seeing the various hospital affiliations available there, I would be in no hurry to leave the island, just curious.

I think you ahve to do 3rd year there, but can take some electives at other schools/hospitals in the US.

Thanks for the info TCP03. When was your application complete with SJB? How long did it take for them to offer you an interview??

Congrats

Well SJBSOM was different from the mainland schools b/c they require a chest X-ray, Blood Serology test, and a full physical, as well a clean criminal background report from your respective state. So it took a while but it was all done at the end of december. I was offered an interview in early FEB....they sent me about five dates and I picked the first one (It just so happened it fit my schedule, It probably doesn't matter when you do it.) I did my interview with one other student. We were brought in and asked to write a prompt (i was given a prompt about combating obesity and the girl with me was given one on end of life care) we completed them alone for 20 mins and then were given a group interview...the good news is, when I started to respond to my first question in spanish, they thanked me and asked me to please respond in English. (this says a lot when you consider some of the rumors about the curriculum being taught in spanish or english, in fact one of the two interviewers told us that she did not speak great spanish at all.) We had a tour and wrapped it up with a Q & A with some students there as well as with the admissions advisor. I was informed of the acceptance about a month later.

Well SJBSOM was different from the mainland schools b/c they require a chest X-ray, Blood Serology test, and a full physical, as well a clean criminal background report from your respective state. So it took a while but it was all done at the end of december. I was offered an interview in early FEB....they sent me about five dates and I picked the first one (It just so happened it fit my schedule, It probably doesn't matter when you do it.) I did my interview with one other student. We were brought in and asked to write a prompt (i was given a prompt about combating obesity and the girl with me was given one on end of life care) we completed them alone for 20 mins and then were given a group interview...the good news is, when I started to respond to my first question in spanish, they thanked me and asked me to please respond in English. (this says a lot when you consider some of the rumors about the curriculum being taught in spanish or english, in fact one of the two interviewers told us that she did not speak great spanish at all.) We had a tour and wrapped it up with a Q & A with some students there as well as with the admissions advisor. I was informed of the acceptance about a month later.
wow, thanks for the info that was really helpful!!