San Juan Bautista hopefuls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No problem UVABranch. good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the PR schools offer a Spanish emersion program to help students?

For example, let's say my espanol is weak and I could move there in the early summer and learn up real quick like. I know I need to live in the language to get fluent.

I did very well in my undergrad classes. I had like 98 averages in my classes.

I have always wanted to be completely fluent.

Thanks, all!!

Does anyone know if the PR schools offer a Spanish emersion program to help students?

For example, let's say my espanol is weak and I could move there in the early summer and learn up real quick like. I know I need to live in the language to get fluent.

Thanks, all!!

You probably want to call each school and ask about it. I don't know of any inmersion program in Ponce. I do know that there are a lot of people that attend that school that come from USA. If you apply, and you get an interview you need to speak Spanish fluently (or at least slowly but understandable). So the interview might be a little difficult. But if you make throught the interview, all you need to do is move to PR as soon as possible, and practice your Spanish.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably want to call each school and ask about it. I don't know of any inmersion program in Ponce. I do know that there are a lot of people that attend that school that come from USA. If you apply, and you get an interview you need to speak Spanish fluently (or at least slowly but understandable). So the interview might be a little difficult. But if you make throught the interview, all you need to do is move to PR as soon as possible, and practice your Spanish.:thumbup:

Just curious because I saw on some posts on here that their interviews were conducted in English. I would do everything I could do to get as fluent as I could by that time but I know I would be much better after I had lived there for a couple of months. Does anyone have any experience with Spanish programs like RocketSpanish or Rosetta Stone? They say they can make you fluent but I doubt it.

Well I can't speak for Univ. of PR, UCC, or Ponce, but my interview at San Juan Bautista was totally in English (at the request of the interviewers). Also, I speak Spanish and English and wanted to learn a new language, so I picked up rosetta stone Italian....I was skeptical but in three months (20 - 30 mins a day usually in two 15 min sessions) I was conversational. Also, at Borders for about $15-$20 you can get the "drive time" series. these come in all languages and are gr8 for the car when you have spare time. Doing 30 mins a day on Rosetta and spending time here and there in the car will have you speaking Spanish in no time (and 30 mins seems like nothing). Rossetta Stone is expensive but it is worth it. It comes in a Spanish Version (Spain) and a Latin American version. Although I am a Spainard myself and think Castilian (Spain) Spanish is the only spanish =), I would think that the Latin American version would be more useful for PR.

Hey, Anyone know what day we have to be in PR, for matriculation, financial etc...? :cool:

Thanks, all!!

No, I called all of them. I have to say even though ponce interviews in english you are supposed to be bilingual when you apply. Thats what I was told. I wasnt discouraged from applying I just knew that I wasnt bilingual. SJB on the other hand knew that and seemed much more casual about it. This is not fact juts my experience. Keep in mind that SJB got their LCME recently so its still unknown which for now is to our advantage in terms of low tuition 22,000 as well as entrance. I guarantee in the years to come many people will apply to SJB.

Thanks, all!!

I was very nervous during my interview and my spanish was just awful!!!!!
I rated my self as very low fluency. My interviewer could tell I was a bit stressed and he told me to relax and not worry and that he knows a ton of students who came to SJB and became fluent. So thats what I was told and I believed him. If you get into any of the schools they wont accept you if they think you will fail escpecially one that just got their LCME. They want to look good and keep their accreditation. So they need Us to do well in order to look good. At least in my interview I felt like they really want to get folks from all over the mainland including outside of US to go to school at SJB.( Im Iranian that has been living here for over 20 years)

I'm cool. I have been studying spanish but studying and speaking are two different things. Not to mention Puerto Rican spanish which is a bit different and faster than mexican spanish which is what I know more of.
Once Im immersed in the puertorican culture I will be fine. My point was really to stress that who ever isnt sure should just apply and see what happens. It cant hurt, and if they want an interview that means they are interested so your almost there. Go for it. Most of the mainlanders who dont apply to PR dont know what they are missing. Dont forget many of us who would like to return to the mainland if we do well on the USMLE's we are considered competitive because we will be bilingual and for my case trilingual. So its an incredible opportunity.

Does anyone know if SJBSOM allows students to complete third and/or fourth year rotations on the mainland (assuming they are ACGME certified)?

After seeing how beautiful PR is and seeing the various hospital affiliations available there, I would be in no hurry to leave the island, just curious.

At SJB like every other medical school in the US you usually get to pick the place where you do 3 of your fourth year electives. This could be on the mainland or outside of the US. I asked about that because i will go to the mainland for some of my electives as well as somewhere outside of the US. So yes, thats what I was told. I also come from a research background and I will continue with that at SJB as well. Not necessarily with SJB professors but folks I know form before.

Thanks, all!!

When I went to Interview at SJB the students that gave me the tour of the school all spoke english... so you will most likely speak more english than spanish with your fellow classmates, spanish will come naturaly by itself, believe me I live in miami and I learned it preety quick it becomes a necessity not a luxury... Bilingual Doctors, sounds preety attractive :cool: when it comes time to get a residency!!!

Sounds good. I definitely want to be bilingual no matter where I end up.

I will apply to all the PR schools when the time comes except UPR. I am half way through my PharmD in May and really plan on attacking the MCAT correctly this summer. Did not do as well as I know I can first time.

I plan on working on my espanol after the MCAT during my 3rd and 4th years of my PharmD. I should at least get closer to being fluent by then.

I think I may work with a Spanish speaking program like Rosetta Stone and then volunteer to help translate at our free medical clinic in town. There is only one translator that comes in on Tuesdays. I have had to work on interpreting before and I can get the job done but I want to be smooth and natural.

Next to my in-state schools, i think I have my next line of choices. For financial reasons, I would have to go to my in-state schools if I got accepted. Those living expenses add up quick!! :D

Thanks to all you for easing my fears. I know I can learn to be fluent within 12-18 months. I just need the opportunity to get there and it sounds like they would be willing to work with you some.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone, I was just offered an interview w/ SJB! I'm trying to find a place to stay and since I'm not familiar I could use any suggestions. I'm guessing I should fly into LMM airport, and then drive to caguas....but I need to know a few things.

I'm trying to also get a Ponce interview while I'm there so where is the best place to stay?

I might also bring my dog since it will be less expensive (if there aren't any special requirements I have to meet for him to take the trip with me), so I don't care where I stay, but it looks like San Juan has the most pet friendly hotels...would I be at a disadvangate for staying there and needing to travel to each interview?

How long were the SJB and Ponce interview days? Arround what time did you arrive and what time did the day end?

Are some area's safer than others? I haven't been in PR in like 15 years so I don't know what's a good or bad (if any) place to stay since I'll be there by myself (or with my dog).

As for hotel prices...about how much did it cost everyone, or rather what's a reasonable price to pay if I arrive on a sunday and leave tuesday or wednesday.

did you all leave the day of your interview or the next day?

I think this has been asked before but as far as getting the other school to schedule an interview because you're already there...how well did that work for those who tried?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to find the best way to do this where I won't have to take too many days off of work, and school, and make it somewhat affordable since I assume I won't really be able to make a mini vacay like I would love to do ;)

thanks for the help!!
p.s. feel free to add any info about the interview itself, I can't find much detail about the day itself and the things that are covered like fin aid, housing/cost of living, rotations, class size, support systems, USMLEs, student groups, pets ;)...

If you get an interview at PONCE stay in Caguas because ponce is closer to Caguas than San Juan. iIf only SJB stay in San Juan because it is more cosmopolitan. But all of PR is beautiful stay wherever you feel the most comfortable as long as its near the east side. Get up with plenty of time to make it to your interviews because traffic is bad.

I interviewed at SJB in English...I've taken Spanish my entire life but never reached fluency because I never lived in Spanish-speaking country. I think most of the schools are English textbooks, exams and lectures so you really only need Spanish to talk outside class and with professors and patients.

I was also contacted for an interview. However since my Spanish is very poor (I'm a non-native speaker and it's been a while since I took Spanish in high school), should I just forget about it if the interview is going to be in Spanish?
I interviewed in English...they can do either language but they'd like you to review Spanish before classes start (I'm going to this summer).

Does anyone have advice for the interview? I have my interview Dec 12th and have a few questions. Was it group or individual? Spanish or english? what questions did they ask?

Group, spanish interview, essay...
What do you think about......euthanasia, abortion etc
Why medicine?
Any research?
Tell me about yourself

group interview. You will be asked to choose what language you'd like, but if you choose English, there will be at least one question where they will ask you to respond in spanish to hear how well you speak. No essay for me,but we were asked the basics about clinicals, research, and other info. that you should have written in your AMCAS (it's not open file). Also, there was no essay for me, but I think that those from the day before had to write one... hopefully that's not a bad sign for me :)

Good luck!

Mine was a group interview, open file, bilingual, with essay.

- We were four students (and four faculty members). We were allowed to choose our preferred language. For the ones that did not switch back and forward between English and Spanish with ease, they did have a question were they required them to answer either in Spanish or English (depending on the student's first language).

- The topics for the questions and essays were Euthanasia, Diabetes, Child Obesity, Stem Cell Research,...

- Also know about the school's mission, they will ask you what you feel about it and whether your calling is to help the community...who is the founder/president of the school, etc

Hope that helps and good luck!
-------
Elsa
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine
MSI - Class of 2012

hey guys....i have an interview at Ponce School of Medicine on Thursday (Dec 4) and I sooo nervous. Does anyone have any advice? Was it in English or Spanish? Essay? Group? Thanks :)

I'll be flying down to PR december 17th and be there till the 19th....I dont know anyone in PR and was wondering if anyone would mind I would be able to stay with them, maybe show me around town? I would rather pay to be with students than be on my own in a hotel somewhere or have ideas where I can stay? Please contact me if anyone can help.

Last edited:
does anyone know how the selection process occurs after the interview? How do they make their selection? I was also wondering what are the stats for state students? since they only select 20 for their class...maybe acceptance rates?

Does anyone know how long do they take after you are interviewed to let you know if you are in or not? Thanks:confused:

No way, did they tell you why so long? It is horrible that they will make us way for so long

yea I know...I've been waiting since December...they said they were gonna do things differently this year and just let everyone know in March...thats about all they said that I can remember from...did you interview yet?

yea I know...I've been waiting since December...they said they were gonna do things differently this year and just let everyone know in March...thats about all they said that I can remember from...did you interview yet?

That's not true. SJB started to mail acceptance letters last week. Enviaron las primeras 30, a lo mejor son solo para estudiantes de aqui.

Yes I interviewed on January, Jaimy told me that the committee is meeting every week and that acceptances will be send as she gets the files, but again remember we are not from Puerto Rico so that might just mark the difference. I guess we just have to wait, apparently we have been told something different. al3cK have you been accepted already?

oooooohhh....yea it could be different for the mainland residents...I don't know...I hope to find out soon though...but when I interviewed they told us all that....there were 5 of us...and I was the only non island resident that day...anyways goodluck!

Last edited:
I'm in, i receive the email today

Lo recibi ayer, pero hoy me dio con llamar y la mujer me dijo que me habian enviado algo ayer. Era que el email estaba en SPAM, asi que cuidado con esto!....

Just got accepted on the 22nd of Jan., and wanted to start checkin' in with the rest. I'm from California, definitely excited to be moving to PR. So who's in so far?

I just started a new thread at the Allopathic Class Threads forum.
San Juan B. is a U.S. LCME accredited school, so I'd say it belongs with the others...

Congrats! I'm surprised to hear you were notified so early. I was told we wouldn't be notified until late February/early March. I'm hoping to hear back soon.

Nevermind, I just received an acceptance email this morning. Good luck to everyone going through the process, I know how anxious everybody feels.

Faraaz

I'm interviewing this week and I'm super nervous! Please help, guys... I emailed back regarding my chosen interview date but I didnt receive confirmation that my date is set... do they usually confirm?

So just to clarify... how long after the interview did you guys receive their reply... about 1-2weeks?

super THanks!!

Haha good luck BUT people that interviewed in December are just now receiving their acceptances!! Don't be nervous, they're really nice!

Hi. I was accepted at SJB and UCC. Does anyone know the tuition and fees at both? It was about $22,000 with $1,500 for medical insurance and about $1,700 in other fees for 2008-2009 at SJB. As far as I can tell, it is $27,000 plus $3,000 in fees at UCC for 2009-2010, but I do not know if that includes their "Institutional Plan" for medical. Thank you.