San Juan Bautista Loses LCME Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I understand, we cannot transfer to caribbean med schools, unless we decide to start up as med 1s. And about loans, pfff, thats another nightmare! I have no idea how I'm suppose to pay those back! Hey guys, I appreciate lots of your concerns and replies. Very cool

There are many Caribbean schools that will accept all your basic sciences and most of your clinical credits. I don't know any that would make you start from med 1, especially if you have already passed Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I'm sorry, you've gotten an incredibly raw deal. I would think that other medical schools would be understanding and take 1 student, and the fact that they're not stepping up (mine included) is pretty shameful. Schools expanded to take tulane students during Katrina, hell Baylor took in half the school. While a hurricane isn't the schools fault and arguably losing accreditation is (don't know all the circumstances, so not passing judgement), in neither case is it the students fault.

After Katrina, LSU temporarily moved to Baton Rouge and Tulane temporarily moved it's operations to Baylor: Tulane students did not enroll at Baylor, instead, they were taught by Tulane faculty on the Baylor campus

I agree 100% man. I was taught throughout med school and by my mentor to never give up on a patient... You dont give up and turf the patient to another specialty or another doctor. So why give up on us?? 98% of the med schools Ive tried to contact about transferring have locked their doors to us. It's crazy... the AAMC has given us a list of possible schools that will be willing to accept us as transfer students and there are literally only around 4 schools on the list. and out of those 4, 2 of the schools require you to be a resident of that state!

If I were you, I would call every LCME school and ask them if they would accept you as a transfer (it's not going to hurt you)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't help but to think how screwed up this is. The LCME has put the students in a terrible position. The LCME told the students "yes, this is a quality school, you can go here and get licensed if you pass the tests". That is a guarantee that the school is acceptable. The LCME should change their ruling to apply to any students who enroll after the accreditation was withdrawn.

From what I understand, we cannot transfer to caribbean med schools, unless we decide to start up as med 1s. And about loans, pfff, thats another nightmare! I have no idea how I'm suppose to pay those back! Hey guys, I appreciate lots of your concerns and replies. Very cool

that's not necessarily true...while it is infinitely better for you to transfer to another LCME school, Ross and AUC have taken transfers from US and other caribbean schools...you would most likely have to do clinicals over as a 3rd or 4th yr, but they both have title IV loans and it could at least give you a chance. Sorry, SGU doesn't take transfers and you would probably have to start all over.

the problem however that 4th yrs may have is with the time expiration on their steps...steps I, II, III all have to be taken within a 10 yr period...some may find that their step I scores may not be valid by the time they take step III.

If I were you, I would call every LCME school and ask them if they would accept you as a transfer (it's not going to hurt you)

i agree...make up and email packet with your CV, step scores, LoRs and cold call each and every US med school and plead you case...you never know...but now is definitely the time to be very proactive!

that's not necessarily true...while it is infinitely better for you to transfer to another LCME school, Ross and AUC have taken transfers from US and other caribbean schools...you would most likely have to do clinicals over as a 3rd or 4th yr, but they both have title IV loans and it could at least give you a chance. Sorry, SGU doesn't take transfers and you would probably have to start all over.

the problem however that 4th yrs may have is with the time expiration on their steps...steps I, II, III all have to be taken within a 10 yr period...some may find that their step I scores may not be valid by the time they take step III.

I would exhaust all of your US options before you transfer to Ross or AUC.

Also, even if you took 2 years to find a program to accept you and had to repeat 3rd and 4th year you'd still only be 6 years out. You'd have to wait until your PGY 4 year to take step 3 before the 10 year perior would be an issue.

Unless you are at some of the more intense residency programs that don't give you time to take step 3, most people take step 3 during their intern year.

I can't help but to think how screwed up this is. The LCME has put the students in a terrible position. The LCME told the students "yes, this is a quality school, you can go here and get licensed if you pass the tests". That is a guarantee that the school is acceptable. The LCME should change their ruling to apply to any students who enroll after the accreditation was withdrawn.

Agreed 100%.

I really feel for the SJB students, this is just F'ed up!!

I really hope LCME and AAMC step up and help you guys get spots in another LCME accredited schools. You guys are innocent in all this and definitely don't deserve to pay such a high price for the institutional failings that have transpired here.

Part of me wonders if you guys have any legal recourse against SJB for its failings and the tremendous negative impact that will have on you?

Keep your heads, stay positive/optimistic and like others have said knock on EVERY DOOR and keep knocking until it opens!!!!

Very best of luck!

They'll accredit a school like rocky vista, so I doubt thats a problem. I agree that it would probably take way too long though.

Rocky Vista is a whole other ballgame. Yes, it's for-profit, but nothing has indicated that the education is sub-par. SBJ lost accreditation. The LCME essentially said that SBJ isn't strong enough to meet the requirements of medical education as outlined by the LCME. It's completely different. Also, COCA won't approve any school without the students learning two years of OMT. That basically means that every 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, and 4th year will have to start all over anyway.

You know, I feel for you. You took out those loans for your school under the promise that you would be receiving a degree from them, assuming you didn't do anything to get yourself kicked out. You're stuck with four years worth of debt and no degree to show for it. I don't know, I think I'd be consulting an attorney right about now to figure out how to navigate the loan situation.

I would exhaust all of your US options before you transfer to Ross or AUC.

Also, even if you took 2 years to find a program to accept you and had to repeat 3rd and 4th year you'd still only be 6 years out. You'd have to wait until your PGY 4 year to take step 3 before the 10 year perior would be an issue.

Unless you are at some of the more intense residency programs that don't give you time to take step 3, most people take step 3 during their intern year.

if you go back and re-read my post i did say that it would be INFINITELY better to transfer to another LCME school...

however, these students have spent anywhere from 3 months to 3.5 years (and i feel bad for all of them, but the 4th years...good God...) and IF transferring to an LCME school is NOT in the picture for them, they need to be able to find another option(what would have them do...just give up?)...the caribbean and DO schools are another avenue to salvage their careers...as it has been pointed out, the DO option is not a likely one short of restarting...someone posted that they thought a caribbean option was not possible without restarting...i was correcting that notion.

Wow,I feel really bad for the students at SJB.

I had a question for the experts on here, since I'm new to this whole thing and will be taking the MCAT's next spring. Is it not a good thing to attend one of the Big 4 Caribbean schools? I thought they had the lcme accreditation like all the other US Schools? This is in case I don't do well on the MCATs and just decide to go to one of the Caribbean schools in August '12 rather then wait around and get rejected by all the US Med schools. Any advice will be much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow,I feel really bad for the students at SJB.

I had a question for the experts on here, since I'm new to this whole thing and will be taking the MCAT's next spring. Is it not a good thing to attend one of the Big 4 Caribbean schools? I thought they had the lcme accreditation like all the other US Schools? This is in case I don't do well on the MCATs and just decide to go to one of the Caribbean schools in August '12 rather then wait around and get rejected by all the US Med schools. Any advice will be much appreciated. :)

Caribbean medical schools are not LCME accredited, you count as a FMG..which makes it harder to get a good US residency, if not nearly impossible when you take into account very competitive specialties..

Just study your behind off and you'll probably get a decent enough score so you wont have to consider the caribbean..don't underestimate the MCAT though ;)

And remember, dont start this process out by already thinking you wont do well on the MCAT..

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.

-Henry Ford

Thank you to all who have shown support for us. For those who want an ego boost at our expense...well God is watching.......I am a 4th yr at SJB....I have already passed my STEP 1, STEP 2ck and Step2cs, I have passed every shelf and every OSCE, I had sent my ERAS registered for the NRMP and had interviews for EM......I was in Orlando at an ICU rotation when I heard the news and suddenly I became a soviet citizen (a nation without a country). Our interviews were cancelled until we can transfer and thank God there have been some wonderful schools that have stepped up to help us...I won't ever forget those institutes, they are truly class acts. I was not scrapped from the bottle of a barrel...I am a latino and was accepted to two other big LCME programs but went to SJB because it was an American school and we leave as truly bilingual LCME physicians. In a way we left with more education than many schools (I am highly sought out by my attendings bc of my medical lingustics). This is not to pull my own chain....but we are on the same team and I just wanted to show this forum that SJB students have heart and passion as well as a great education and no accred agency can stop us from being healers of other humans in need. We will land on our feet. Good luck to all who were brave enough to follow the LCMEs own recomendation to accredit this school and come to a place where we impacted a very humble community with REAL medical needs even if the building we did it in did not have hardwood floors and granite counter-tops. No regets about being part of c/o 2012.

Thank you to all who have shown support for us. For those who want an ego boost at our expense...well God is watching.......I am a 4th yr at SJB....I have already passed my STEP 1, STEP 2ck and Step2cs, I have passed every shelf and every OSCE, I had sent my ERAS registered for the NRMP and had interviews for EM......I was in Orlando at an ICU rotation when I heard the news and suddenly I became a soviet citizen (a nation without a country). Our interviews were cancelled until we can transfer and thank God there have been some wonderful schools that have stepped up to help us...I won't ever forget those institutes, they are truly class acts. I was not scrapped from the bottle of a barrel...I am a latino and was accepted to two other big LCME programs but went to SJB because it was an American school and we leave as truly bilingual LCME physicians. In a way we left with more education than many schools (I am highly sought out by my attendings bc of my medical lingustics). This is not to pull my own chain....but we are on the same team and I just wanted to show this forum that SJB students have heart and passion as well as a great education and no accred agency can stop us from being healers of other humans in need. We will land on our feet. Good luck to all who were brave enough to follow the LCMEs own recomendation to accredit this school and come to a place where we impacted a very humble community with REAL medical needs even if the building we did it in did not have hardwood floors and granite counter-tops. No regets about being part of c/o 2012.

Great attitude and best of luck!

Yup, I agree. I am a 4th year too and its really cool to read others students' posts that feel for us. Also, there have been a few schools that have stepped up to the plate and are willing to accept transfers... Although it's going to be interesting because most of these schools only have 1-2 spots. There are around 60 of us in 4th year so lets see.

Yup, I agree. I am a 4th year too and its really cool to read others students' posts that feel for us. Also, there have been a few schools that have stepped up to the plate and are willing to accept transfers... Although it's going to be interesting because most of these schools only have 1-2 spots. There are around 60 of us in 4th year so lets see.

transfer if you can, but if you can't...don't graduate from sjb! you graduate and get the MD...you're DONE!...you can't get another MD degree from anywhere! and then you really will be stuck with a worthless degree...an MD from a non LCME school that has no pathway to getting licensed!

Is there any information as to what specifically was done or not done for the school to lose its accreditation? The letter doesn't seem to go too much in-depth.

This is such horrible news. I'm hoping all you guys can find spots to transfer to. I just can't imagine being a 4th year and having this happen. Keep us posted on how it goes.

lawsuit?

I hate most lawsuits but this seems so screwed up from keeping it secret to just leaving the students screwed for at least one year.

Loss a year, you basically lose 250K of income potential, right? At the very least I hope they offered your fall tuition back.

lawsuit?

I hate most lawsuits but this seems so screwed up from keeping it secret to just leaving the students screwed for at least one year.

Loss a year, you basically lose 250K of income potential, right? At the very least I hope they offered your fall tuition back.

To the LCME and the AAMC:

1. Expect my visit within the next 5 working days. You cannot hide from me!

2. Start planning for your defense specially how you are going to explain to the Federal Court in Puerto Rico (yes in PR if you did not know it existed), how you acted protecting the best interests of the student body.

3. Get ready for Congressional backlash that will start planning for your dissolution. Several latino minority influential congress members are going after you right now some in your own backyard...

4. LCME board members: get your own private attorneys since you will get my papers and will be sued individually...

Just stay attentive to my next post,

Anxiously waiting to meet you,

Subpoena guy

There was a post above, I believe from aProgramDirector saying that he/she would not be happy to take in any of the 4th years because of not knowing how competent we are... thats understandable.

To avoid any confusion, I want to be clear that the above was supposed to be "if I was a medical school Dean, then I would have a problem taking a 4th year student....". As a PD, I am happy to evaluate SJB students and consider them for spots. Obviously, not this year.

This is a very reasonable, but difficult, problem. If the LCME truly feels that the clinical training is not acceptable, then it's hard to say "Well, the training environment isn't good enough to train physicians. But, since you have some 1st years that just started, we'll let you train them in an unacceptable training environment.

That being said, I think the "fairest" thing to do would have been to withdraw accreditation at the end of the year. This would have allowed 4th years to graduate, and everyone else to look around for a new school / options, with some buffer time built in.

It's going to be crazy competitive for spots. Much will depend on who has done the best, who knows whom, and plain luck. Students who had multiple acceptances but chose SJB might be in a better situation -- I'd call those schools ASAP.

lawsuit?

There is almost no question that there will be a lawsuit about this, likely class action. However, there's also a good chance that SJB will simply declare bankruptcy. Only if they are sitting on a big endowment, or if their building is worth $$$$, will this amount to anything. And by the time the lawyers take their slice of the pie....

transfer if you can, but if you can't...don't graduate from sjb! you graduate and get the MD...you're DONE!...you can't get another MD degree from anywhere! and then you really will be stuck with a worthless degree...an MD from a non LCME school that has no pathway to getting licensed!

This is incredibly good advice. If you can transfer to another LCME school, that's your best option. If you go to a carib school, or if you simply don't graduate at all, you can always hope that SJB gets restarted. If they do, they might offer to allow all prior students to re-matriculate and graduate. An SJB diploma at this point would likely be harmful, as stated above. Since it's not IMED listed, you'd never qualify for Step 3.

Why would a program director refuse to take students from a school that had been LCME accredited all along?

Explain it to me. I have some cognitive impairment due to brain damage.

In order to start residency, you must have graduated from medical school and be able to obtain a license in that state (training license).

Since SJB is no longer an accredited LCME school at this point, its graduates are no longer considered graduates from an accredited school - thus ineligble for licensure. No medical license means you can't fulfill the duties required for residency without breaking the law (practicing medicine without a license)

Previous graduates of SJB are OK (since they graduated from SJB when it was accredited), but current students will not be since SJB is no longer accredited.

In order to start residency, you must have graduated from medical school and be able to obtain a license in that state (training license).

Since SJB is no longer an accredited LCME school at this point, its graduates are no longer considered graduates from an accredited school - thus ineligble for licensure. No medical license means you can't fulfill the duties required for residency without breaking the law (practicing medicine without a license)

Previous graduates of SJB are OK (since they graduated from SJB when it was accredited), but current students will not be since SJB is no longer accredited.

When these students entered SJB the LCME promised them they would get quality education. Why is it the fault of a 4th year that the LCME changed their mind half way through the game?

When these students entered SJB the LCME promised them they would get quality education. Why is it the fault of a 4th year that the LCME changed their mind half way through the game?

It's not the students' faults...but neither does that mean that they received a clinical education over those four years that is acceptable in the eyes of US residency programs (post un-accreditation)

It's not the students' faults...but neither does that mean that they received a clinical education over those four years that is acceptable in the eyes of US residency programs (post un-accreditation)

They clearly received accredited education up until the point that the LCME changed the rules in the middle of the game.

They clearly received accredited education up until the point that the LCME changed the rules in the middle of the game.

Accreditation lasts, what, 7 years? So some time in the past seven years, the clinical education at SJB became unacceptable, and now the education of the current fourth years is viewed as suspect. Why is that so hard to comprehend

Accreditation lasts, what, 7 years? So some time in the past seven years, the clinical education at SJB became unacceptable, and now the education of the current fourth years is viewed as suspect. Why is that so hard to comprehend
No, they received accredited education up until it was withdrawn. The LCME is not invalidating the credentials or training of anyone previous to their very recent date of withdrawl. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Stop playing with the semantics of accredited = acceptable. They aren't the same. The education became unacceptable and eventually the accreditation was withdrawn

Stop playing with the semantics of accredited = acceptable. They aren't the same. The education became unacceptable and eventually the accreditation was withdrawn
Stop playing with the semantics of accredited ≠ acceptable. Seriously, stop.

The current fourth years were in the middle of their education when it became unacceptable, so they are in a different situation than previous graduates...

If it's any relief, don't federal loans get forgiven if you can't achieve graduation d/t a school losing accreditation, closing, burning to the ground, etc? Obviously, you aren't a doctor, but you shouldn't be indebted, right?

i really don't understand why this is sooooo hard to get.

No, the LCME did not guarantee the students anything....SJB did.

the LCME is just doing their job...LCME accreditation is not a one time thing...accreditation is given for only a certain number of years and EVERY LCME school has to undergo reaccreditation every so many years

http://www.lcme.org/standard.htm
http://www.lcme.org/procedur.htm
http://www.lcme.org/faqlcme.htm

if a school does not maintain the standards that initially got them the LCME accreditation, well then they risk losing said accreditation.

and schools that are newly accredited are under closer scrutiny in the 1st 8 yrs that accreditation is given.

and its not like the LCME didn't give the school any warning...no doubt the school was under probation 1st and was given time to remedy the infractions...apparently SJB did not heed the warnings. This was also a failure of an appeal of loss of accrediation, so the inital decision was given at least 90 days prior to this decision (i agree with APD, it would have been a bit more compassionate for the LCME to have given this decision at the end of the academic year, but evidently the LCME must give a decision on an appeal within 90 days of the inital decision).

though word of caution to those looking to transfer, Ponce is on probation...would ask how long that probation is for and when the next LCME survey is...

I think you don't understand what the words "representation" and "accreditation" mean. Some time with the dictionary might help. :)

LCME did not change the rules. LCME just did its job. SJB didn't follow the rules. This is all on SJB. The final appeal process was in September 2011. That means that for at least a couple of years, SJB was sitting on the list of provisional-accreditation-revoking issues given by LCME. There's all kinds of room for negotiation and remediation and partial progress with the accreditation standards, but in order to protect the accreditation of the other 135 schools, the LCME can't mess around or be nice instead of doing its job.

SJB was in line for full accreditation in 2012-2013. That means LCME visited halfway through the school's 2nd provisionally accredited year (when the current M4s were M2s) and formally reported on the school's progress and any problems that could block full accreditation. 2 years ago. As I said above, this is a massive institutional failure by admin, faculty, alumni, parents, city and state governments and the training hospital (which SJB bought and owns).

SJB got its provisional accreditation the same year as UCF, FIU and TT El Paso. So if you want to see where SJB would be in its accreditation process now, look for those schools on lcme.org.

Now, SJB has had a med school much longer than it had preliminary/provisional LCME accreditation. I suspect that the average SJB student who wants to stay and practice in PR can still do so, just as last year's unaccredited SJB grads have surely done. If an SJB grad wants to practice on the mainland, they do so as an IMG.

I suspect that SJB is (again?) the only med school in a US state or territory that doesn't have LCME or COCA accreditation. Thus I suspect SJB's ability to grant a medical degree is doomed.

LCME did not change the rules. LCME just did its job. SJB didn't follow the rules. This is all on SJB. The final appeal process was in September 2011. That means that for at least a couple of years, SJB was sitting on the list of provisional-accreditation-revoking issues given by LCME. There's all kinds of room for negotiation and remediation and partial progress with the accreditation standards, but in order to protect the accreditation of the other 135 schools, the LCME can't mess around or be nice instead of doing its job.

SJB was in line for full accreditation in 2012-2013. That means LCME visited halfway through the school's 2nd provisionally accredited year (when the current M4s were M2s) and formally reported on the school's progress and any problems that could block full accreditation. 2 years ago. As I said above, this is a massive institutional failure by admin, faculty, alumni, parents, city and state governments and the training hospital (which SJB bought and owns).

SJB got its provisional accreditation the same year as UCF, FIU and TT El Paso. So if you want to see where SJB would be in its accreditation process now, look for those schools on lcme.org.

Now, SJB has had a med school much longer than it had preliminary/provisional LCME accreditation. I suspect that the average SJB student who wants to stay and practice in PR can still do so, just as last year's unaccredited SJB grads have surely done. If an SJB grad wants to practice on the mainland, they do so as an IMG.

I suspect that SJB is (again?) the only med school in a US state or territory that doesn't have LCME or COCA accreditation. Thus I suspect SJB's ability to grant a medical degree is doomed.

tl;dr

Last edited:

as APD pointed out, to be able to get ECFMG certification, a foreign school has to be IMED listed and to be IMED listed the school must have accreditation by the home accreditation body...which in this case is the LCME, so...

at best they may be able to practice in PR, if the PR council on higher education allows the school to maintain its accreditation with them, but i would imagine that the LCME withdrawal will stimulate withdrawal of the rest of their accreditations (PR, Middle states, etc).

UCC is not listed currently on the LCME probation list (though the institution as a whole IS listed on the ACGME probation list), but they do have a site survey scheduled for this academic year...Feb i think.

oops, you're definitely right. I misread the news article I was browsing. It included a mention of "Charles" from XUSOM spamming our boards, though, which cracked me up!

Interesting read: https://www.aamc.org/students/sjb/

Without the access they are providing only for students, its impossible to know how many transfer slots exist. But I bet its less than they need. I'd move fast if I was in their shoes.

link doesn't seem to be working...

but its sad, if they had announced it earlier (in may or june), the number of transfer spots would have been higher...i know NEUCOM had 20 spots in the 3rd yr class that they filled earlier this yr.