SAT/ACT scores

lol

Comments like yours just make me so glad I didn't know this website existed until senior year. Get off the computer Mr. Keyboard Warrior and go waste your high school life studying an SAT book. If it takes you 3 years to prepare for the SAT I have bad news for you come MCAT time, assuming you don't burn yourself out by then.

:eek: :zip:

Members don't see this ad.

lol

Comments like yours just make me so glad I didn't know this website existed until senior year. Get off the computer Mr. Keyboard Warrior and go waste your high school life studying an SAT book. If it takes you 3 years to prepare for the SAT I have bad news for you come MCAT time, assuming you don't burn yourself out by then.

yeah.. just my .02, aspiringdoc you can't get upset every time someone tells you you don't need to be on SDN, because in reality, you really don't.. You have a long ways to go and will definitely get a lot of this kind of response. He never said he was "the smartest person on earth," he's just giving you some advice that you enjoy your life now instead of doing every single thing you think you need for med school later. Keep in mind you're a h.s. freshman dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ No college will require both the SAT and ACT, at least none that I've ever heard of after going through the application process.

You might be thinking of ACT + SAT IIs

yeah.. just my .02, aspiringdoc you can't get upset every time someone tells you you don't need to be on SDN, because in reality, you really don't.. You have a long ways to go and will definitely get a lot of this kind of response. He never said he was "the smartest person on earth," he's just giving you some advice that you enjoy your life now instead of doing every single thing you think you need for med school later. Keep in mind you're a h.s. freshman dude.
I agree with your .02, but everyone on here has made a "rule" that freshmen don't need to be on here...

This is the description for this forum....

hSDN The place for high school and pre-college students interested in health careers.

Am I in high school? Yes. Am I technically a pre-college student? Yes. Am I interested in a health career? Yes. Are there any SDN rules that don't allow high school freshman on this website? No.

I know he never said he was the "smartest person on Earth", but did I every say I was studying for the SAT in 9th grade? No...

Just the other day, this 8th grader got a 2400 on the SAT and 5 in AP Calc BC. He's younger than me, he studied for both, and are people saying anything to him?

I probably wouldn't have gotten as angry, but he's a Yankees fan. I don't like the Yankees, and I hate A-Rod.

^ No college will require both the SAT and ACT, at least none that I've ever heard of after going through the application process.

You might be thinking of ACT + SAT IIs

yeah i've never heard of one requiring both. But hey, i wouldn't be surprised these days :laugh:

I agree with your .02, but everyone on here has made a "rule" that freshmen don't need to be on here...

This is the description for this forum....

hSDN The place for high school and pre-college students interested in health careers.

Am I in high school? Yes. Am I technically a pre-college student? Yes. Am I interested in a health career? Yes. Are there any SDN rules that don't allow high school freshman on this website? No.

I know he never said he was the "smartest person on Earth", but did I every say I was studying for the SAT in 9th grade? No...

Just the other day, this 8th grader got a 2400 on the SAT and 5 in AP Calc BC. He's younger than me, he studied for both, and are people saying anything to him?

I probably wouldn't have gotten as angry, but he's a Yankees fan. I don't like the Yankees, and I hate A-Rod.
No one is saying you can't be on SDN. We are all saying that since you are a freshman, being on SDN and worrying about things that won't pertain to you for the next 3 years, will probably stress you out and get you worrying about things that you honestly don't need to worry about.

You have SOOOOO MUCH TIME!

Say what?! All the colleges I've looked in to only want one or the other, you CAN send in scores from both but it's not required.

Sorry sorry. You're right guys, I guess I mean like recommend. When I started my applications for Hopkins they requested for both.

Sorry sorry. You're right guys, I guess I mean like recommend. When I started my applications for Hopkins they requested for both.

I still can't get over you going to Hopkins. High class, girl :love:

@jpatel.. I see what you mean. The only thing that I'm stressed about is research, b/c you guys are saying worry about it in a few years, and I already know two freshmen at my school alone who are doing research already, and they are apparently gunners (according to Tolbert). .

@jpatel.. I see what you mean. The only thing that I'm stressed about is research, b/c you guys are saying worry about it in a few years, and I already know two freshmen at my school alone who are doing research already, and they are apparently gunners (according to Tolbert). .
Dude, research in highschool isn't going to help a single bit for your med school apps.

The only way it can help you is getting into college and making connections.

Members don't see this ad :)
and I'm aiming for 7 year or guaranteed med, so I don't have to worry bout med school apps...

and LEARNING....
Basic learning, don't think that you will jump into the research and understand everything... PhD's are doing the research for a reason, you have to know everything about it before you start researching about it... A high school student will not probably gain much "learning" from research tbh.

I got a 1990 on my first try. The breakdown is 670M, 670R, 650W. I'll take it two more times and try the ACT once or twice. I didn't prepare at all except for a prep class 3 months prior.

I'm aiming for the University of Miami.

Ok.. basic learning. Still, I am learning and scientific research is interesting..

Honors Bio this year. I'm wondering if I should self study an AP this year like Psych or something.

I got a 1990 on my first try. The breakdown is 670M, 670R, 650W. I'll take it two more times and try the ACT once or twice. I didn't prepare at all except for a prep class 3 months prior.

that's good :thumbup: With a good GPA you should be fine. Good luck :)

and yeah, I assumed a first research experience would be more along the lines of being compared to scut.

Honors Bio this year. I'm wondering if I should self study an AP this year like Psych or something.

8361613481_be01aa0ca0_z.jpg

and I'm aiming for 7 year or guaranteed med, so I don't have to worry bout med school apps...

I think your motivation is great. When I was in 9th grade, I knew, no questions asked, this is what I wanted. But don't forget to enjoy high school. Opportunities will come to you. Shadow, make sure this is exactly what you want. And study,yes. But have the best time in high school because I'm sure anyone on here can attest and say that it flies by. Your motivation is great, and you will need it. But live in the moment a little too! Best of luck to you.

Everyone's assuming that just b/c I'm asking all these questions that I'm not enjoying life or I have a social life... It's summer vacation, and I just came back from a 3 week trip from DC, and before that I went to other places. At school, I'm not an introvert.. I am social.

Apparently the stereotype is that social people don't care about their future or SATs or anything and people who do care about this stuff aren't social and dont "live their lives"/

we're not saying you're not enjoying your life, we said remember to.

and i mean lawd as in you haven't even taking bio yet, but it seems like you expect a lot :laugh:.. To even understand it at your point might be surprising to me.

understand what... research? I'm not saying I understand it, and by the way I was looking for this next summer.. after I'm done with Honors Bio. And they are college professors.. they will obviously know much more than me, so hopefully they teach....

that's good :thumbup: With a good GPA you should be fine. Good luck :)

and yeah, I assumed a first research experience would be more along the lines of being compared to scut.

It's definitely above average. I received a 4.1 junior year and I believe around that fresh+soph years too.

I do take challenging courses and I got all As and Bs junior year. Have good AP scores, 5 on bio and 4s on US and world history.

understand what... research? I'm not saying I understand it, and by the way I was looking for this next summer.. after I'm done with Honors Bio. And they are college professors.. they will obviously know much more than me, so hopefully they teach....

That's why the research programs where I live take Juniors and Seniors. They're most likely to have more knowledge in biology because they took AP biology or something equivalent. The researchers don't expect you to know every little thing, they need you to have a grasp of certain concepts. I may be not as smart as you, but when I had my research interviews, I thanked my AP biology teacher because the doctor was doing research on cell signalling, which has a direct tie to signal transduction pathways and kinases-- which is taught in AP biology.

Lolz, that's the complete opposite of 'not studying'. :rolleyes:

It's definitely above average. I received a 4.1 junior year and I believe around that fresh+soph years too.

I do take challenging courses and I got all As and Bs junior year. Have good AP scores, 5 on bio and 4s on US and world history.

yeah that definitely sounds good. Check out cappex and bigfuture if you haven't already, those give you a pretty good indication of where you stand.

That's why the research programs where I live take Juniors and Seniors. They're most likely to have more knowledge in biology because they took AP biology or something equivalent. The researchers don't expect you to know every little thing, they need you to have a grasp of certain concepts. I may be not as smart as you, but when I had my research interviews, I thanked my AP biology teacher because the doctor was doing research on cell signalling, which has a direct tie to signal transduction pathways and kinases-- which is taught in AP biology.

:thumbup: this is my point. Someone who just finished one h.s. biology, honors or not.. I doubt you'd follow anything really as to WHY the research is being done, what does what, why it does that, ect. Just my opinion though, try to prove me wrong.

Lolz, that's the complete opposite of 'not studying'. :rolleyes:

Haha. I didn't remember much from the prep class 3 months later when I took the test, is what I was meaning to say.

Haha. I didn't remember much from the prep class 3 months later when I took the test, is what I was meaning to say.

Ah, so you "studied ineffectively" rather than "didn't study"! :laugh:

Agreeing with JPatel...aiming for top notch. *respect point gain*
Awh! I wish you best of luck! Let us know what happens! <3

Oh, and I think both tests should be taken and maybe if the colleges don't require both...submit the best score. ^.^ that's my plan.

Agreeing with JPatel...aiming for top notch. *respect point gain*
Awh! I wish you best of luck! Let us know what happens! <3

Oh, and I think both tests should be taken and maybe if the colleges don't require both...submit the best score. ^.^ that's my plan.

Haha thank you so much. I will. Hopefully it's good news that I have to tell you guys!

Standardized tests like the SAT and the ACT cannot be studied for
you can prepare for them by taking practice tests

Standardized tests like the SAT and the ACT cannot be studied for
you can prepare for them by taking practice tests

That's kind of true. When I took it, I felt like the SAT was more a test of your retention of an accumulation of knowledge throughout your education. But you can definitely practice for the material, the timing of the exam, and the length by just doing practice tests in a simulated environment. That was actually the extent of my studying- just taking exam after exam for the SAT, and writing sample SAT essays and having English teachers look them over, and I ended up with a 2250. For the MCQs Writing section, I think I looked over Princeton Review's Grammar Smart book, that was pretty helpful, and seemingly most of the "incorrect" sentences were just idiomatically incorrect.

I'm sure if you're going for a 2400, there might be some other Writing/Verbal study plan you need to go through, but for full score on just the Math section, its just practice.

Overall, I wouldn't stress that much unless you want that 2400 really badly. Just take practice exams and enjoy life while you still can.