You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
SAT MCAT Correlations
Started by baratheonfire
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
there is no correlation between MCAT and SAT scores
there is no correlation between MCAT and SAT scores
This
/end thread.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Assuming one has studied for both thoroughly, yes there is definitely a correlation.
People like to hate on the SAT but the fact remains that the SAT does test critical thinking and analytical skills. These skills are necessary to do well on the MCAT as well.
If you say there is no correlation, then let's examine this situation.
Your life depends on a person scoring over 750 on the SAT Critical Reading. You can choose the person who will take the test. Who would you rather have?
Person A: scored 15/15 on MCAT verbal, 45/45 overall
Person B: scored 1/15 on MCAT verbal, 3/45 overall
Person C: scored 7/15 on MCAT verbal, 21/45 overall
Person D: randomly selected person
If you really believe that there is no correlation, then that means that you think the person who scored 1/15 on MCAT verbal is equally as likely to be able to score 750 on the SAT CR as the person who scored 15/15 on MCAT verbal.
I don't know about the rest of you but I'd take Person A everyday of the week.
The scenario works in reverse as well.
If someone scores 300/800 on the SAT CR, it's quite unlikely that this person will be able to score 13+/15 on the MCAT verbal.
People like to hate on the SAT but the fact remains that the SAT does test critical thinking and analytical skills. These skills are necessary to do well on the MCAT as well.
If you say there is no correlation, then let's examine this situation.
Your life depends on a person scoring over 750 on the SAT Critical Reading. You can choose the person who will take the test. Who would you rather have?
Person A: scored 15/15 on MCAT verbal, 45/45 overall
Person B: scored 1/15 on MCAT verbal, 3/45 overall
Person C: scored 7/15 on MCAT verbal, 21/45 overall
Person D: randomly selected person
If you really believe that there is no correlation, then that means that you think the person who scored 1/15 on MCAT verbal is equally as likely to be able to score 750 on the SAT CR as the person who scored 15/15 on MCAT verbal.
I don't know about the rest of you but I'd take Person A everyday of the week.
The scenario works in reverse as well.
If someone scores 300/800 on the SAT CR, it's quite unlikely that this person will be able to score 13+/15 on the MCAT verbal.
I am a junior in High School with pretty low SAT (1540) scores but a 4.0 GPA, passed 3 ap classes already, taking AP chem and AP bio, and I'm just wondering if the SAT correlates with the MCAT, for example, have there been any MS1 or Pre Med students now that scored pretty well (30-35) on the MCAT and had low SAT scores in the past and just read and studied harder? I tend to worry and I was just wondering if I still have a chance to work harder and improve? thanks ALL advice is appreciated.No correlation whatsoever. I have known people who got average SAT scores and 30+ scores. As I know 2100+ scores who couldn't break a 30.
I am a junior in High School with pretty low SAT (1540) scores but a 4.0 GPA, passed 3 ap classes already, taking AP chem and AP bio, and I'm just wondering if the SAT correlates with the MCAT, for example, have there been any MS1 or Pre Med students now that scored pretty well (30-35) on the MCAT and had low SAT scores in the past and just read and studied harder? I tend to worry and I was just wondering if I still have a chance to work harder and improve? thanks ALL advice is appreciated.
Work hard enough and I promise you that this worrying will be a thing of the past. And to answer your question, I am sure it has happened. You get out what you put in 😉
Ahhh I surely hope!!! Thank you for the response! I believe I have a strong passion for medicine, I just don't want my fears and worries to ruin that drive and goal. Best of luck for your future career in medicine!😀Work hard enough and I promise you that this worrying will be a thing of the past. And to answer your question, I am sure it has happened. You get out what you put in 😉
Forget about your SAT scores. They don't matter anymore. Focus on the enormous beast in front of you or it will eat you alive.
You can do almost anything if you try enough (especially for standardized tests 🙂). I got a perfect cr on the sat (without prep), and I just got 70% on the aamc practice tests. Yes, I took frequent breaks and watched tv while in the middle of reading the passages, so I wasn't really focusing. But, this shows that there is natural variability in these things so a low sat doesn't mean low mcat and a high sat doesn't mean high mcat. You could easily have had a bad day on the sat, and easily have a bad day on the mcat, like I did today, but you definitely can improve 🙂. Don't let your previous bad score get you down (or let your previous high score make you complacent lol).
Thank you so much for the advice!😛 It's calming to here that I can still try and study hard to do well on the future exams! And I will definitely try not to think of past tests and just move forward and work even harder for next time. I greatly appreciate the response, it surely put my worries to ease and inspired me to work harder! Best of luck for the MCAT I'm sure you'll do great!You can do almost anything if you try enough (especially for standardized tests 🙂). I got a perfect cr on the sat (without prep), and I just got 70% on the aamc practice tests. Yes, I took frequent breaks and watched tv while in the middle of reading the passages, so I wasn't really focusing. But, this shows that there is natural variability in these things so a low sat doesn't mean low mcat and a high sat doesn't mean high mcat. You could easily have had a bad day on the sat, and easily have a bad day on the mcat, like I did today, but you definitely can improve 🙂. Don't let your previous bad score get you down (or let your previous high score make you complacent lol).
They aren't the same test ... but they are.
Yes, some people do (somewhat) better on one then the other. But if you prepare for both, your score will be about the same.
In the old days Hopkins didn't even require the MCAT for this reason.
Yes, some people do (somewhat) better on one then the other. But if you prepare for both, your score will be about the same.
In the old days Hopkins didn't even require the MCAT for this reason.
double edit –
The title of the thread used the word "Correlations," but the sentence structure/language OP used in his post.. "I got (insert high SAT score). Should I aim high (on the MCAT)? Suggests he doesn't understand that correlations do not imply causational relationships. While there is almost certainly a correlation between SAT & MCAT scores, this doesn't mean what you want to hear.
Basically, your high SAT score in and of itself does not entitle you to a high MCAT score, as everyone else has said.
The title of the thread used the word "Correlations," but the sentence structure/language OP used in his post.. "I got (insert high SAT score). Should I aim high (on the MCAT)? Suggests he doesn't understand that correlations do not imply causational relationships. While there is almost certainly a correlation between SAT & MCAT scores, this doesn't mean what you want to hear.
Basically, your high SAT score in and of itself does not entitle you to a high MCAT score, as everyone else has said.
Last edited:
do your best on all these tests
but let me blunt: I have never met a National Merit Finalist who performed poorly on the MCAT.
but let me blunt: I have never met a National Merit Finalist who performed poorly on the MCAT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is most definitely a correlation between critical reading and the MCAT's verbal section.
If you can score 15 on MCAT verbal, I'd wager your chances of scoring 750+ on SAT CR are extremely high. These events are not independent. Both are testing reading ability and critical thinking ability (albeit the MCAT doing it at a much higher level).
Now if there is a correlation between MCAT verbal and SAT CR, then by definition, yes, there is a correlation between MCAT and SAT.
If you can score 15 on MCAT verbal, I'd wager your chances of scoring 750+ on SAT CR are extremely high. These events are not independent. Both are testing reading ability and critical thinking ability (albeit the MCAT doing it at a much higher level).
Now if there is a correlation between MCAT verbal and SAT CR, then by definition, yes, there is a correlation between MCAT and SAT.