SAT or GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I use the SAT vocabulary review books or the GRE books? Are they the same? I know SAT is for high school but I dont know half the words in there.....if not all of them. :scared: :confused:

What did you guys use to prepare for the word analogy?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I use the SAT vocabulary review books or the GRE books? Are they the same? I know SAT is for high school but I dont know half the words in there.....if not all of them. :scared: :confused:

What did you guys use to prepare for the word analogy?

Relatively speaking, the PCAT words are in the "middle" when it comes to difficulty versus the old SAT. I still have my old College Board SAT prep book and the analogies were either easier than the PCAT or the analogies were ridiculously difficult. I looked at the Kaplan GRE vocab book, and it seemed like the PCAT words were easier. But that's just me:)

I used the GRE words, but I did not devote a large amount of time to this section. I read alot and English is my first language. I kept the GRE book in my bathroom for 4 months prior to the PCAT, and I used it as my sole batroom reading material during that span. GRE words are much harder than PCAT, not sure about SAT words. Good luck!

I bought a GRE book but I don't think it helped at all... of course I didn't really devote that much time to the English stuff... I figured I'd be okay on that and spent most of my time with bio and chem. Needless to say, I did better on those two sections than the English. Personally, I think the vocab stuff is really hard to study for... it sucks trying to sit there and memorize hundreds of words.

the point of the vocab section on the PCAT is not to see who can memorize the meanings of most words -- but rather, to see if you can figure out the meanings of words based on contexted clues, roots, prefixes, suffixes, etc ...

... so the best way to study is not by attempting to memorize the hundreds of words found in these GRE and SAT books (which will be a total waste of time) - better to spend your time trying to learn the major latin/greek roots of words, and practice figuring out what a word might mean if you don't initially know the exact definition ....