You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Saturation of 97%
Started by anbuitachi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Definitely concerning.
I am always btw/ 100% and 103%
I am always btw/ 100% and 103%
Probably pulmonary htn. You should start taking high dose Sildenafil.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
35 yos can have very different VO2, DO2, and V/Q mismatch
You should lose the blue nail polish.
Maybe your so conditioned that you don't need 100% SpO2 to have adequate oxygen delivery.
D
deleted87051
COVID for sure.
D
deleted171991
Obesity/atelectasis, possibly OSA (with compensatory shift of O2-Hgb dissociation curve).Anyone ever compare saturations? Why are all the other 35 year olds at work 99 or 100% and my saturation is only 97-98%, never 100%? It does go up to 100% with oxygen though. Early predictor of lung disease? Is my Hgb messed up?!?!
All your calls are taking your breath away
Maybe your so conditioned that you don't need 100% SpO2 to have adequate oxygen delivery.
i like this . this must be the reason
Obesity/atelectasis, possibly OSA (with compensatory shift of O2-Hgb dissociation curve).
my BMI is 21. i wonder why im so atelectatic. i cant even get it to 100% with large breaths
D
deleted171991
Get it worked up. You may be having a lung disease and not know it (e.g. from GERD, or thromboembolic disease).my BMI is 21. i wonder why im so atelectatic. i cant even get it to 100% with large breaths
Or you may just have cold hands and/or poor peripheral perfusion. 😉
Most healthy BMI 21's do not have a sat of 97%. Get somebody to run an ABG on you, first.
Last edited by a moderator:
Get it worked up. You may be having a lung disease and not know it (e.g. from GERD, or thromboembolic disease).
Or you may just have cold hands and/or poor peripheral perfusion. 😉
Most healthy BMI 21's do not have a sat of 97%. Get somebody to run an ABG on you, first.
lung disease from gerd? im aspirating? my gerd is horrible ! . hopefully im not having PEs !
D
deleted171991
You're probably fine, especially if you're young and have normal exercise tolerance. But if this thing bothers you enough to ask here, better be safe than sorry. Go see a pulmonologist.lung disease from gerd? im aspirating? my gerd is horrible ! . hopefully im not having PEs !
You'd probably know if you had even smaller PEs (i.e. dyspnea). Your GERD may be more likely the culprit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted171991
I think athletes improve their oxygen extraction and resistance to anaerobic conditions during exercise, not decrease their resting O2 sat.Maybe your so conditioned that you don't need 100% SpO2 to have adequate oxygen delivery.
Now the real question is, how long can you hold your breath?
Now the real question is, how long can you hold your breath?
Now we all know that oxygen content is not the limiter in that regard.
Yeah yeah yeah, DO2, VO2, Lung volume, and how well you tolerate hypercapnia and hypoxia, etc. I still want to know.Now we all know that oxygen content is not the limiter in that regard.
Is your Hb 18g/dl or 12? Big difference..
D
deleted162650
I still want to know.
Are we talking static or dynamic apnea?
Better question is how low can you get your sat. Kudos to anyone who can get themselves below 90.
D
deleted162650
Now we all know that oxygen content is not the limiter in that regard.
It is if you’re a really good freediver. One of those sports that gets exponentially more dangerous the better you get.
Static. Lie down. Hyperventilate for a moment if you please. Deepest breath in you can and hold.Are we talking static or dynamic apnea?
Better question is how low can you get your sat. Kudos to anyone who can get themselves below 90.
D
deleted162650
Static. Lie down. Hyperventilate for a moment if you please. Deepest breath in you can and hold.
I’ve hit 2.5 mins a bunch of times - not that great.
Statics don’t really tell you much and training statics isn’t really that helpful. Dynamics are where it’s at.
I've never done dynamic. I've hit 3 minutes a few times. Never felt wise to push mush beyond that as the world is usually getting a little cloudy at that point. I'm intrigued though about this dynamic breath hold training.I’ve hit 2.5 mins a bunch of times - not that great.
Statics don’t really tell you much and training statics isn’t really that helpful. Dynamics are where it’s at.
I'm also curious now about doing this with a pulse-ox to see where I land.
D
deleted171991
The world record is about 21 min, if memory serves me right. The pros first hyperventilate down to a pCO2 of less than 20, I think.
One can feel OK even with severe hypoxia (happy hypoxics). It's the hypercapnia, even of 42-43, that is unbearable for most apneic people.
P.S. WR is 24+ minutes for males.
And here's the physiology (also where the 3 mmHg of pCO2 increase per minute of apnea comes from):
pubs.asahq.org
Yep, one can get even to a pCO2 of 250 and back, without obvious harm.
One can feel OK even with severe hypoxia (happy hypoxics). It's the hypercapnia, even of 42-43, that is unbearable for most apneic people.
P.S. WR is 24+ minutes for males.
And here's the physiology (also where the 3 mmHg of pCO2 increase per minute of apnea comes from):
Anesthesiology
Explore Anesthesiology, featuring peer‑reviewed articles, clinical studies, and the latest medical research.
Yep, one can get even to a pCO2 of 250 and back, without obvious harm.
Last edited by a moderator:
The world record is about 21 min, if memory serves me right. The pros first hyperventilate down to a pCO2 of about 20 mmHg or less, I think.
One can hold their breath even with severe hypoxia, even if severe (happy hypoxics). It's the hypercapnia, even of 42-43, that is unbearable for most apneic people.
P.S. WR is 24+ minutes for males.
And here's the physiology (also where the 3 mmHg of pCO2 increase per minute of apnea comes from):
![]()
Anesthesiology
Explore Anesthesiology, featuring peer‑reviewed articles, clinical studies, and the latest medical research.pubs.asahq.org
Yep, one can get even to a pCO2 of 250 and back, without obvious harm.
There are professionals for breath holding?
D
deleted162650
I've never done dynamic. I've hit 3 minutes a few times. Never felt wise to push mush beyond that as the world is usually getting a little cloudy at that point. I'm intrigued though about this dynamic breath hold training.
I'm also curious now about doing this with a pulse-ox to see where I land.
As long as you’re doing statics on dry land, feel free to push as hard as you want. Worst case scenario you pass out on the couch and wake a few mins later. Any apnea training in water needs to be with a buddy that KNOWS how to save you if things go awry.
You can start with CO2 tables then move to O2 tables. A million ways to do dynamics from just walking while breath holding to doing interval breath holds on an exercise bike.
Go over to spearboard and search for posts by growingupninja. I’m pretty sure that dude has gills. Or better yet, sign up for an FII freediving course.
And for some entertainment, check out YouTube vids by Guillame Nery.
There are various free apps as well that are fairly useful for training your breathold. To me the basics of it are ignoring the urge and contractions of your diaphragm. If I were doing residency in Balboa, I'd be spearfishing every chance I got.
D
deleted162650
There are various free apps as well that are fairly useful for training your breathold. To me the basics of it are ignoring the urge and contractions of your diaphragm. If I were doing residency in Balboa, I'd be spearfishing every chance I got.
Are you Navy? Are you stuck in Bethesda or Portsmouth?
If you make it out to SoCal let’s dive.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted87051
Now the real question is, how long can you hold your breath?
The record is 24min with preoxygenation.
Static apnea - Wikipedia
I was never great, but I could swim 50yds on a single breath.
I'll push it and get back to you. I'm writing this down because I'm intrigued. I've done some of the CO2 and O2 tables and square breathing, but never while walking around or anything. Challenge accepted.As long as you’re doing statics on dry land, feel free to push as hard as you want. Worst case scenario you pass out on the couch and wake a few mins later. Any apnea training in water needs to be with a buddy that KNOWS how to save you if things go awry.
You can start with CO2 tables then move to O2 tables. A million ways to do dynamics from just walking while breath holding to doing interval breath holds on an exercise bike.
Go over to spearboard and search for posts by growingupninja. I’m pretty sure that dude has gills. Or better yet, sign up for an FII freediving course.
And for some entertainment, check out YouTube vids by Guillame Nery.
The world record is about 21 min, if memory serves me right. The pros first hyperventilate down to a pCO2 of less than 20, I think.
One can hold their breath even with severe hypoxia, even if severe (happy hypoxics). It's the hypercapnia, even of 42-43, that is unbearable for most apneic people.
P.S. WR is 24+ minutes for males.
And here's the physiology (also where the 3 mmHg of pCO2 increase per minute of apnea comes from):
![]()
Anesthesiology
Explore Anesthesiology, featuring peer‑reviewed articles, clinical studies, and the latest medical research.pubs.asahq.org
Yep, one can get even to a pCO2 of 250 and back, without obvious harm.
As long as you’re doing statics on dry land, feel free to push as hard as you want. Worst case scenario you pass out on the couch and wake a few mins later. Any apnea training in water needs to be with a buddy that KNOWS how to save you if things go awry.
You can start with CO2 tables then move to O2 tables. A million ways to do dynamics from just walking while breath holding to doing interval breath holds on an exercise bike.
Go over to spearboard and search for posts by growingupninja. I’m pretty sure that dude has gills. Or better yet, sign up for an FII freediving course.
And for some entertainment, check out YouTube vids by Guillame Nery.
I second this. Best to practice breath holds on dry land and only move into the water with a partner. Several big names in free diving and big wave surfing have drowned because of severe hypoxia with no respiratory drive after hyperventilating. There are several courses out now for open ocean swimmers, free divers and surfers.
D
deleted162650
Several big names in free diving and big wave surfing have drowned because of severe hypoxia with no respiratory drive after hyperventilating.
The physiology of shallow water blackout is pretty neat.
You should never hyperventilate before diving for multiple physiologic reasons.
Interestingly, marine mammals actually dive on an exhale than on fully inflated lungs.
Nah I'm Army, only choices with Bethesda or San Antonio. I'll be back out at some point.Are you Navy? Are you stuck in Bethesda or Portsmouth?
If you make it out to SoCal let’s dive.
D
deleted171991
Interestingly, Archimedes? 😛Interestingly, marine mammals actually dive on an exhale than on fully inflated lungs.
Good like diving deep with a decreased body density due to the air in the lungs.
Last edited by a moderator:
Now the real question is, how long can you hold your breath?
Yeah yeah yeah, DO2, VO2, Lung volume, and how well you tolerate hypercapnia and hypoxia, etc. I still want to know.
just tried it. 40 seconds. way better than i expected!
Interestingly, marine mammals actually dive on an exhale than on fully inflated lungs.
Explain this wizardry please
Explain this wizardry please
Two things I have heard. One is it helps prevent the bends during deep dives and rapid accents. Second, by exhaling it allows the pressure of the water at deep depths to have less of a physical impact because their body can collapse in on itself.
D
deleted87051
Explain this wizardry please
Wizardry indeed. And dolphins look funny at 300m.
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted162650
Explain this wizardry please
Here’s a discussion:
Exhale diving, theory and practice, a laymans view
Sebastian Murat pioneered the theory and practice of exhale diving and posted a great deal of information about it on these forums. I have gone back and looked at those threads repeatedly, always find something I had missed. I can no longer find some of those threads. If they are gone, it...
forums.deeperblue.com
Sebastian Murat has some YouTube videos as well.
Are you Navy? Are you stuck in Bethesda or Portsmouth?
If you make it out to SoCal let’s dive.
We’re actually not allowed to free dive in the Navy. A few NDs have died that way. People still do it on their own time though. (I know that’s not why you asked Navy.)
D
deleted162650
We’re actually not allowed to free dive in the Navy. A few NDs have died that way. People still do it on their own time though. (I know that’s not why you asked Navy.)
Sure, but are there any rules against “advanced snorkeling?”
What’s an ND? I’ve had a lot of exposure to Navy medicine, but I’m not (or ever have been) military.
ABGs actually hurt. Had one as an intern. Not fun.Be a man and stick yourself for an ABG in the OR, run a POC test, and get a PaO2 on room air.
We’re waiting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure, but are there any rules against “advanced snorkeling?”
What’s an ND? I’ve had a lot of exposure to Navy medicine, but I’m not (or ever have been) military.
Ah yeah sorry. ND is the rating abbreviation for Navy Diver.
lol advanced snorkeling.Sure, but are there any rules against “advanced snorkeling?”
What’s an ND? I’ve had a lot of exposure to Navy medicine, but I’m not (or ever have been) military.
D
deleted162650
Ah yeah sorry. ND is the rating abbreviation for Navy Diver.
lol advanced snorkeling.
If any of you military folk find yourselves in SoCal and would to come fish or dive, you have an open invitation on my boat.
(non-military requests will be evaluated on a case by case basis 😀)
If any of you military folk find yourselves in SoCal and would to come fish or dive, you have an open invitation on my boat.
(non-military requests will be evaluated on a case by case basis 😀)
I was stationed in San Diego for 5 years when I was enlisted. I’m going back there for 4 months in the first half of 2021 for my rotations. Can’t wait.
From personal experience, holding your breath while at maximum breath is harder and hurts, I think it has to do something with chest wall stretch receptors.Explain this wizardry please
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 568