Scaled score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick questions. My school offered cbsse score says its a "total scaled score 75". Does anyone know what does that mean? Gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

If you mean the school administered CBSSA (the pencil and paper and scantron one), they should have a chart at the end that can help you convert your scaled 2 digit score into an estimated 3 digit score. All I can tell you was that my score of 70 corresponded to a 200.

If you mean the school administered CBSSA (the pencil and paper and scantron one), they should have a chart at the end that can help you convert your scaled 2 digit score into an estimated 3 digit score. All I can tell you was that my score of 70 corresponded to a 200.

Not that. I have already converted the 2 digit into 3 digit. It said Total scaled score so does it mean that it was curved or scaled depending on how everyone else performed? Or is it question correct / total number of question....which would be 150 / 200 = 75

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that. I have already converted the 2 digit into 3 digit. It said Total scaled score so does it mean that it was curved or scaled depending on how everyone else performed? Or is it question correct / total number of question....which would be 150 / 200 = 75

No it is not your % correct. So yeah, it's curved based on historical national performance of students who took those questions. Presumably the questions in the exam are retired STEP 1 questions, so the NBME has a good basis on which to weight them. The two digit scaled score converts to a three digit STEP 1 equivalent score. It is not a percentile. This is what my CBSA score PDF says:

Scaled score = STEP 1 equivalent
70 = 200
72 = 205
74 = 210
94 = 260
>94 = >260 (past that there is no conversion)

so...
+2 points scaled score points = +5 STEP 1 score points

Last edited:
No it is not your % correct. So yeah, it's curved based on historical national performance of students who took those questions. Presumably the questions in the exam are retired STEP 1 questions, so the NBME has a good basis on which to weight them. The two digit scaled score converts to a three digit STEP 1 equivalent score. It is not a percentile. This is what my CBSA score PDF says:

Scaled score = STEP 1 equivalent
70 = 200
72 = 205
74 = 210
94 = 260
>94 = >260 (past that there is no conversion)

so...
+2 points scaled score points = +5 STEP 1 score points

Make sense. Thanks