Scenario...

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by momomango, Jun 12, 2008.

1. momomango

Pre-Medical
    First off, thanks for taking your time to read this thread...I'm going to be honest about where I am now and I wanted some honest feedback too. I'd rather take all the criticism now and improve. So here's my scenario:

I'm ending my sophomore year with a 2.5 gpa as a Molecular Biology major. Winter Quarter I failed my ochem class so I retook it this spring quarter and only got a C+ but I'm going to move on because this is my first upper division class. I still have all my major classes to take in the next two years so there is definitely room for improvement. My LD prereqs aren't too hot either and I have to retake the one's I got a C- in. But other than the gpa, all other things I'm doing pretty well in. I volunteer at a pharmacy, I research at a lab and recently received a scholarship to continue the research, I'm involved in leadership, and etc.

To be honest (don't laugh :(...) I'm aiming for CA schools. I plan to take a year off after I graduate and either continue my research at the lab or try something new and go abroad for a year. Am I being too idealistic by considering CA schools like UCSF, USC, UOP, Western? I know I'm currently out of the running for pharm school, but I don't want to give up. It's definitely what I want to do and I'm going to keep at it. Also do any of these schools give a bit more weight on the last 45-90 units that the student has completed because I heard UOP does.

Thanks so much for your time and I appreciate your advices/comments/etc.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cinnamoroll12

Pharmacy Student
    Wait, are you currently attending UCSD? I guess you can try to do well in your upper div classes, and probably also consider out-of-state schools as well as schools in Cali.

4. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Well, nothings impossible but you really need to get those grades up to be competitive, especially at CA schools.

5. momomango

Pre-Medical
    Hey! Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I do go to UCSD :) Does undergrad help any? lOL do you go to ucsd? how'd you guess so quickly?

6. cinnamoroll12

Pharmacy Student
    Well, I figured UCI and UCLA doesn't have molecular bio major and your story seems typical of UCSD students. Actually, I'm going to graduate (kind of, still need 3 more classes) this coming Sunday. I thought the requirements for molecular bio seems tough, so I decided to do Biochem and Cell bio instead. Based on the classes that I have taken, I think the upper div classes aren't that bad, since the curves tend to be a bit lower. I boosted my GPA by taking certain GE requirements for Revelle at a community college, so maybe you might want to try to do that. Where at the pharmacy do you volunteer anyways? Maybe we volunteer at the same place!