Scheduling 4th Year ADTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltwire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a few questions about scheduling 4th year ADTs. It looks like for my 4th year schedule I may have mandatory things during June and first half of July.

When - Can I schedule an ADT beginning mid or end of July? Or do most programs only start and end at the beginning of the month.

Also is doing my ADTs during End of July/August and September going to hurt my application? I would like to do it earlier but in the off-chance I cannot will doing the rotations in August/September be ok or is that too late.

Length - Most threads I found said rotations should be 4 weeks. Is it looked unfavorably upon if I do say a 3 week rotation, so I can try and fit them in earlier rather than later?

Although requested ADTs are 45 days, can I after having finished a 4 week rotation, go right into another or do I have to wait the full 45 days before beginning another

I am currently interested in Anesthesia and any general advice and/or advice for setting up the aways with regards to being a competitive applicant for anesthesia would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few questions about scheduling 4th year ADTs. It looks like for my 4th year schedule I may have mandatory things during June and first half of July.

When - Can I schedule an ADT beginning mid or end of July? Or do most programs only start and end at the beginning of the month.

Also is doing my ADTs during End of July/August and September going to hurt my application? I would like to do it earlier but in the off-chance I cannot will doing the rotations in August/September be ok or is that too late.

Length - Most threads I found said rotations should be 4 weeks. Is it looked unfavorably upon if I do say a 3 week rotation, so I can try and fit them in earlier rather than later?

Although requested ADTs are 45 days, can I after having finished a 4 week rotation, go right into another or do I have to wait the full 45 days before beginning another

I am currently interested in Anesthesia and any general advice and/or advice for setting up the aways with regards to being a competitive applicant for anesthesia would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what your branch is, but this is basically how it works for the Army.

Your rotation start/stop dates can be whatever you need them to be. Some schools do rotations based on calendar month, others in four-week blocks. The schedulers at the MedCens, in general, understand this, and can work with your scheduling needs.

Doing your ADTs anytime in the July-October timeframe is probably ok (not later, and earlier, they may forget you).

Just do four weeks whenever it is convenient for you in the time allotted. While your rotation just has to be at minimum 21 days, pretty much everyone does 28 (or one calendar month), and you are auditioning/rotating in the specialty into which you wish to match, so why would you leave a week early?

You can do back-to-back ADTs, so long as the official ADT time does not overlap. For example, you schedule an ADT for 1-31 August, and another for 1-30 September. You would need to spend your ADT balance on "school orders" (meaning, you are technically Active Duty, but doing rotations wherever your school sends you, rather than at a military installation). So, your request may look something like this: School orders 18-31 July, BAMC 1-31 August; WRNMMC 1-30 September, school orders 1-15 October.

If you are Army, and want more information about Anesthesiology, feel free to PM.

Not sure what your branch is, but this is basically how it works for the Army.

Your rotation start/stop dates can be whatever you need them to be. Some schools do rotations based on calendar month, others in four-week blocks. The schedulers at the MedCens, in general, understand this, and can work with your scheduling needs.

Doing your ADTs anytime in the July-October timeframe is probably ok (not later, and earlier, they may forget you).

Just do four weeks whenever it is convenient for you in the time allotted. While your rotation just has to be at minimum 21 days, pretty much everyone does 28 (or one calendar month), and you are auditioning/rotating in the specialty into which you wish to match, so why would you leave a week early?

You can do back-to-back ADTs, so long as the official ADT time does not overlap. For example, you schedule an ADT for 1-31 August, and another for 1-30 September. You would need to spend your ADT balance on "school orders" (meaning, you are technically Active Duty, but doing rotations wherever your school sends you, rather than at a military installation). So, your request may look something like this: School orders 18-31 July, BAMC 1-31 August; WRNMMC 1-30 September, school orders 1-15 October.

If you are Army, and want more information about Anesthesiology, feel free to PM.
The Navy worked very similar to this.

I did my 3rd year ADT starting mid Aug to end of Sept and 4th year from Oct 1st to mid Nov. That way it did not overlap fiscal years (At the time the Army was letting its students do it in the same fiscal year but the Navy was not). I got paid for 3 straight months. Rotations were for Sept and Oct (my school did 4 week blocks). The rest of the time counted as school orders and I did other rotations during that time (your school does not know or care when you are supposed to be getting paid for ADTs).

I chose rotations that I was planning on applying to. You should do the same. :D

You are OK to do it later, as the selection board does not meet until Nov time frame. Most programs are aware of this and expect a higher group of students during the Aug-Oct months. Plan ahead and apply for the rotations early if it has limited spots for students.