*Scholl Class of 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since everyone is talking about housing, I am having the hardest time finding apartments near school [from Texas] that do not have bad ratings on the net, any apartment complex suggestions? I thought of buying a condo, but one of the fourth years I talked to said that by third year I will be doing a lot of traveling to Chicago and I may have to move. I need some help classmates!!

Members don't see this ad.

Since everyone is talking about housing, I am having the hardest time finding apartments near school [from Texas] that do not have bad ratings on the net, any apartment complex suggestions? I thought of buying a condo, but one of the fourth years I talked to said that by third year I will be doing a lot of traveling to Chicago and I may have to move. I need some help classmates!!

If I didn't have dependents, I would definitely move into an apartment because of moving from location to location during 3rd and 4th year. I know some of the clerkships at Cook County have call, so that will be tough for everyone based up north. I'm not that familiar with the apartments near Scholl. Have you thought about renting a townhome with some classmates? Just a thought. Good Luck!

Have you checked Woodlands? It is right next to school. The student housing are descent as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on where and at what you are looking to buy. Gurnee, Mundelein, Grayslake will be between 8,000 and 13,000 for a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath. Libertyville is a bit more generally, Vernon Hills too. Waukegan is less.
My husband and I live in an older smaller home in Grayslake and are taxes are on the lower side, but we also have been in our home for ten years. I have friends paying over 1500 a month on taxes:eek: I think it's nuts. PM me and I can give you more area specifics...my family has been here for a very very long time. Too, let me know when you are coming in May and maybe we can meet up.

That would be great. I really want to be where the schools are good. That is a major concern. Not concerned about my own commute. I am in Texas (Pearland, TX), a suburb outside Houston. The property taxes are pretty darn high here as well. I will PM ya!

Thanks! :thumbup:

I have 2 boys, 9 yo and 13 yo. :D

There's a house for sale on my street. It's a great location because it is less than a 1/4 mile walk to both the high school and the grade school. Jr High is a little farther, but bus service is offered and a lot of kids just ride their bikes.

And then we could CARPOOL!!!:)

I like Grayslake, but like I said before, I have been here for a while, so I am probably biased. It is however one of the areas where you can get more house for the money and still have great schools.

Have you checked Woodlands? It is right next to school. The student housing are descent as well.

I read some really bad reviews about the Woodlands, they said there was a shooting there last year. Not cool.

I read some really bad reviews about the Woodlands, they said there was a shooting there last year. Not cool.
I've lived in the Woodlands for the last 3 years and didn't hear about that. I can tell you that its safe there is no cause for concern. They just got some new management that has lowered rent. In addition, the walk to school is very short. The apartments themselves are fine and I've never had any problem with my place (nothing like pests, water leakage). I think the only time I've ever had issue here was the first week I moved in, my oven didnt work and they promptly replaced it with a brand new up to date unit. So yeah, they have been great here and I strongly recommend them.

In addition, one benefit over the dorms is the freedom to use your internet bandwidth how you want. The dorms don't let people play some types of online games or download freely. Maybe not a big deal, but it is something.

Finally, my friends in the dorms tell me the walls are not very thick so not only must you mind your noise, you must mind the other guys. No thanks, I have no problems here. :thumbup:

There's a house for sale on my street. It's a great location because it is less than a 1/4 mile walk to both the high school and the grade school. Jr High is a little farther, but bus service is offered and a lot of kids just ride their bikes.

And then we could CARPOOL!!!:)

I like Grayslake, but like I said before, I have been here for a while, so I am probably biased. It is however one of the areas where you can get more house for the money and still have great schools.

I was just checking out the Grayslake area the other night. I was also looking at Vernon Hills (pricey!), Lake Bluff, Gurnee, Waukegan. I saw an billboard by the campus about the military housing near the school. Have you seen that?

Both my husband and I are ex-military and the sign said housing was open to military and non-military families. We're gonna check out all options.

Are the 3rd year clerkships all over the area or strictly around Scholl? I trying to get a handle on things b/c if I have to be zooming around then I may not buy a house, just rent instead. :thumbup:

I was just checking out the Grayslake area the other night. I was also looking at Vernon Hills (pricey!), Lake Bluff, Gurnee, Waukegan. I saw an billboard by the campus about the military housing near the school. Have you seen that?

Both my husband and I are ex-military and the sign said housing was open to military and non-military families. We're gonna check out all options.

Are the 3rd year clerkships all over the area or strictly around Scholl? I trying to get a handle on things b/c if I have to be zooming around then I may not buy a house, just rent instead. :thumbup:

The naval housing is literally across the street. As far as renting or buying. I would rent if I were moving here for school. The clerkships are spread out. I believe the majority are in the vicinity of school, but there are several at Cook County. And then there are your 4th year externships to think about. It really depends on what you want. My sister-in-law was telling me that there are a number of houses for rent in her subdivision in Gurnee. They are mainly older 3 bedroom homes from the 50's. Just another thought:thumbup:

Does anyone know if there is a 24-hour fitness near the school or anywhere within a 10 mile radius from campus? Im contemplating buying a 3-year membership but obviously I cant if there isnt one around. How about a L.A. Fitness or any other type of club membership workout place??!! :D

Does anyone know if there is a 24-hour fitness near the school or anywhere within a 10 mile radius from campus? Im contemplating buying a 3-year membership but obviously I cant if there isnt one around. How about a L.A. Fitness or any other type of club membership workout place??!! :D

did you try looking on one of their websites? I know i may have to change banks b/c they may not have branches in that area. I also had to check if my cell phone company was there, too. do a google search, i'm sure something will come up. :thumbup: the campus has a small workout area but i don't know what the hours are.

i have moved around so much (military), you get used to researching everything to death before you move. :laugh:

did you try looking on one of their websites? I know i may have to change banks b/c they may not have branches in that area. I also had to check if my cell phone company was there, too. do a google search, i'm sure something will come up. :thumbup: the campus has a small workout area but i don't know what the hours are.

i have moved around so much (military), you get used to researching everything to death before you move. :laugh:

Oh yeah, I never even thought about my bank and cell phone company! Washington Mutual and Cingular better be there when I get there!!! Sheesh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, I never even thought about my bank and cell phone company! Washington Mutual and Cingular better be there when I get there!!! Sheesh.

also don't forget to get your medical and dental records, plus your vet records (if you have a pet). don't forget your magazine subscriptions :D

check your cell phone name....since all of the mergers they may have a different name in different parts of the country. I'm with WaMu and Bank of America. if BofA is not in IL, i will just put everything with WaMu. check on WaMu website, i'm sure they have branches or ask them at your local branch or call the 1-800 #.

relocation is a piece of cake if you have your check list! :D

I heard the gym on campus is available to all students and open 24hrs/7days a week (except when they need to clean).

I heard the gym on campus is available to all students and open 24hrs/7days a week (except when they need to clean).

That is correct. Usually they do cleaning at night at about 10pm to 11pm.

Cingular (att) is here.

The closest WAMU branch is at least 30 minutes away. There was a location 5 minutes away and another 15 minutes away, but they both closed in the last year.

BofA is also at least 20 minutes away.

I bank with 1st midwest (cause its the first one I drove by), but thats at least 15 minutess away. Seems like the only real close option is Chase. They have a branch 5 minutes away as well as the on campus ATM.

Man, Chicago violence is even spreading to the suburbs? Good luck :laugh:

Chicago is not as bad as people would like to think. This is just my opinion, but I would be more worried about Detroit, Phoenix, Miami, or any suburb near LA.

Ofcourse, there is bad areas in Chicago more in the south side. But, North Chicago is very nice except for a couple suburbs, but that doesn't mean their dangerous.

Chicago is not as bad as people would like to think. This is just my opinion, but I would be more worried about Detroit, Phoenix, Miami, or any suburb near LA.

Ofcourse, there is bad areas in Chicago more in the south side. But, North Chicago is very nice except for a couple suburbs, but that doesn't mean their dangerous.

If we compare Chicago to Miami and NY in terms of safety. Then its like comparing an infant to an adult. Yeah chicago has some bad parts but they are very isolated and its not like you will be going in them daily. The northern suburb of Waukegan/Zion has some bad reviews but thats also in night time. But the thing is we will never go there so no worries abt it. I dont know much abt North chicago (where scholl is located). But i never heard anything bad abt that area from anyone.

If you have kids who will be going to school. then i wud stay in Schaumburg, Des plaines, Gurnee, vernon hills area. The Waukegan schools are a mess.

The location of Scholl is not bad at all. If you have checked out the school, you will know that our area is safe.

The location of Scholl is not bad at all. If you have checked out the school, you will know that our area is safe.

Hey Feetman,

Hows studying going this weekend? I spent sat. on Neuro and today on Micro.

Man, Chicago violence is even spreading to the suburbs? Good luck :laugh:

Uh Oh, did not mean to scare anyone, just looking for an apartment from 1000 miles away. You would be amazed at what people say on apartmentratings.com

Chicago beat Detroit for most murders last year.:eek: And as far as Schaumburg for a commute...no way! I'm telling you, I live 12 miles away and it will take me 45 minutes to get there every morning...30 at very very best. Don't look too far away. Gurnee, Grayslake, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, Mundelein, and Libertyville all have good schools. Waukegan not so much. North Chicago...I'd become a prostitute to earn a living before I would send my kids there. I know that sounds dramatic, but it is BAD. And FYI Gurnee (Dist 50) has one of the largest grade school districts in IL, so that is also something to keep in mind. Something crazy like 19 or 20 classrooms per grade; they have even separated the school within itself, so they have two grade school principles (in the same building) and two assistant principals and so on. My somewhat shy 3rd grader would definitely get a little lost, but it has a good record.

:thumbup: The school seems perfect! It's just a little farther north that is scary:D

Hey Feetman,

Hows studying going this weekend? I spent sat. on Neuro and today on Micro.

Yo lab partner,

I studied Micro on sat and took today off. Better start cramming for Neuro now.

Thanks for the info guys and gals!

Have any of you already submitted all of your health stuff (ie. immunization records and health forms)? Im a little worried because all I have are my Immunization cards that records what I got, when I got it, and what the results were (if necessary). I doubt I have any of the titer/lab reports that RFU is asking for. Im hoping I dont have to get all these shots all over again :scared: . Hopefully, I can track all that stuff down but I want to get it out of the way so I dont need to worry about anything other than moving out there.

I'm going in for a physical and such on Friday. I agree that it will be nice to get it over with. I only have my travel immunization card too, but I guess they will be able to check our blood for continued protection, right? I got all of the required shots a couple years ago before going to Honduras, so I'm hoping that I'm good. I guess if I have to I could run aroung all over the place to get those records.

Holla Khep!
So are you gonna bring the RFU Health Forms with you to your physical on Friday? I looked at the forms and your doc needs to sign off on some stuff I think. Hopefully, we wont need to track all that stuff down but I'm kind of thinking we will :( . Schools can sometimes be picky about that stuff (understandable though). Anyways, I need to schedule my physical sometime soon as well, like before I quit my job and my health insurance expires. Bummer, I hate going to the doc! Go figure!!! haha

With regards to your immunizations, hopefully you can call your primary physician for these records, as well as your county's Health Dept. I also might check your old high school, who should have records of immunizations required from elementary (i.e. MMR, etc.).

When I got my physical, I was still unsure of some, such as my tetnus booster, but such shots can be taken regardless and picked up by your health insurance.

Also, ontop of knowing when you got immunized, the form also requires lab tests for differing titers if I remember correctly, and a skin test as well (to be analyzed by RFU I believe??). Hard to remember since I don't have the form on me atm.

And don't worry, the immunization and physical forms aren't due until matriculation, so you have awhile like myself to track down all your shots and to get your lab tests done.

G'luck and can't wait to see you all this August. This last quarter of my undergrad seems to just drag along (doesn't help I still have a full schedule :()

Chicago beat Detroit for most murders last year.:eek: And as far as Schaumburg for a commute...no way! I'm telling you, I live 12 miles away and it will take me 45 minutes to get there every morning...30 at very very best. Don't look too far away. Gurnee, Grayslake, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst, Mundelein, and Libertyville all have good schools. Waukegan not so much. North Chicago...I'd become a prostitute to earn a living before I would send my kids there. I know that sounds dramatic, but it is BAD. And FYI Gurnee (Dist 50) has one of the largest grade school districts in IL, so that is also something to keep in mind. Something crazy like 19 or 20 classrooms per grade; they have even separated the school within itself, so they have two grade school principles (in the same building) and two assistant principals and so on. My somewhat shy 3rd grader would definitely get a little lost, but it has a good record.

do you know anything about school district #187-North Chicago

Thanks for the info guys and gals!

Have any of you already submitted all of your health stuff (ie. immunization records and health forms)? Im a little worried because all I have are my Immunization cards that records what I got, when I got it, and what the results were (if necessary). I doubt I have any of the titer/lab reports that RFU is asking for. Im hoping I dont have to get all these shots all over again :scared: . Hopefully, I can track all that stuff down but I want to get it out of the way so I dont need to worry about anything other than moving out there.

no, not yet. still waiting for my packet to come in the mail. From reading previous posts, it seems it takes a long time to receive. :thumbdown:

no, not yet. still waiting for my packet to come in the mail. From reading previous posts, it seems it takes a long time to receive. :thumbdown:

You mean your acceptance packet? You havent receieved it yet? How long has it been? For me I think it took about 1 week from the time Mandy called me with the good news. I thought the delay was because of the long distance between IL and CA. Anyways, call Mandy or Kim to see what the hold up is. If something happened they'll mail you out a new one because its time sensitive. Anywho, good luck!!!

You mean your acceptance packet? You havent receieved it yet? How long has it been? For me I think it took about 1 week from the time Mandy called me with the good news. I thought the delay was because of the long distance between IL and CA. Anyways, call Mandy or Kim to see what the hold up is. If something happened they'll mail you out a new one because its time sensitive. Anywho, good luck!!!

I found out last Monday (4/16) that I was accepted. It was after the admissions committee had met that day. So it may not have gone out that day. It has been a week so I will give Mandy a call and let her know I haven't received my accpetance packet yet. I know that there is a deadline, so that is why I have been watching the mail.

I was just joking. However, I can say Chicago is probably scarier than phoenix. I have been to both, and phoenix overall is not scarry. I think it has some super scary areas, but they are very small compared to the metropolitan area.

Hope my joke was not offensive to you.

I was just joking. However, I can say Chicago is probably scarier than phoenix. I have been to both, and phoenix overall is not scarry. I think it has some super scary areas, but they are very small compared to the metropolitan area.

Hope my joke was not offensive to you.

Hey...

No Problem;)

I thought you were serious. However, I have been known to not get jokes.

Holla Khep!
So are you gonna bring the RFU Health Forms with you to your physical on Friday? I looked at the forms and your doc needs to sign off on some stuff I think. Hopefully, we wont need to track all that stuff down but I'm kind of thinking we will :( . Schools can sometimes be picky about that stuff (understandable though). Anyways, I need to schedule my physical sometime soon as well, like before I quit my job and my health insurance expires. Bummer, I hate going to the doc! Go figure!!! haha

Yep, I plan to bring them, if I can find them...I have been really unorganized lately. I think it is so funny that both health professionals and hp students can't seem to make themselves go to the doctor! My friends and I were just talking about this, one being a nurse practitioner and the other an optometrist... I'm glad the schools are picky about the health forms; they need to protect themselves and their patients.

I don't know specifics; I just know that anyone whom I've ever known to even think about moving into the North Chicago school district has only considered private schools. I know they have in the past had problems with gangs and kids bringing guns to school and such stuff, but I guess that is a bit more common place nowadays. My biggest worry for you would be that you aren't going to be around a whole lot to monitor what your kids are up to. I know I worry about this for myself too although, mine will still be in afterschool care. I'm sure your 13 yo is totally used to taking care of himself. Good Luck!

I don't know specifics; I just know that anyone whom I've ever known to even think about moving into the North Chicago school district has only considered private schools. I know they have in the past had problems with gangs and kids bringing guns to school and such stuff, but I guess that is a bit more common place nowadays. My biggest worry for you would be that you aren't going to be around a whole lot to monitor what your kids are up to. I know I worry about this for myself too although, mine will still be in afterschool care. I'm sure your 13 yo is totally used to taking care of himself. Good Luck!

So, yesterday I had to go down to Highland Park, so on my way back when I was by school, I decided to time how long it would take to get home leaving around 5 pm (it was 4:50). It took me 50 minutes!!!! Ugh...12 miles; you gotta love traffic! Thank goodness most days we will be able to leave a little earlier!!!:D

So, yesterday I had to go down to Highland Park, so on my way back when I was by school, I decided to time how long it would take to get home leaving around 5 pm (it was 4:50). It took me 50 minutes!!!! Ugh...12 miles; you gotta love traffic! Thank goodness most days we will be able to leave a little earlier!!!:D

Most of the time you are able to leave at noon or by 3:30 on those lab days.

So It took me 50 minutes!!!! Ugh...12 miles; you gotta love traffic!

One day i took I-94 from buckley rd and then took grand ave exit near gurnee mills and travelled 18 miles west to Fox Lake/Spring grove and i was at my farm in 28 minutes. So i was thinking it is manageable to commute. But you are now scaring me:( . I guess i am gonna go to scholl tomorrow during rush hour and see how much time it takes for me to reach Spring grove.

Damn! i hate chicago traffic. They should really do something about those tolls and construction lane closures.:mad:

One day i took I-94 from buckley rd and then took grand ave exit near gurnee mills and travelled 18 miles west to Fox Lake/Spring grove and i was at my farm in 28 minutes. So i was thinking it is manageable to commute. But you are now scaring me:( . I guess i am gonna go to scholl tomorrow during rush hour and see how much time it takes for me to reach Spring grove.

Damn! i hate chicago traffic. They should really do something about those tolls and construction lane closures.:mad:

houston will eat you up in tolls and the traffic is bad too. many people have what they call an "easy pass" so they can just go thru the toll booths without stopping (prepaid thing). anyway, i lived in the DC/VA/MD area for a few years and the traffic was HORRENDOUS.

i think any major city is gonna have traffic. the traffic is bad where i am b/c people decide not to live close to the city and move to the suburbs. so that causes traffic to back up 30+ miles outside of town. commuting requires being creative sometimes...but that doesn't always work:(

although houston is a large city, they need some help with public transportation. the bus system doesn't come out where i live, only around downtown houston and other areas. it sucks! that's why i loved Boston b/c of the subway. i didn't need a car the entire time i was working as a traveller there...took the subway everywhere and it was cheap for a monthly pass, especially with increasing gas prices :thumbdown: . i hope Chicago has good public transportation.

i hope Chicago has good public transportation.

HA HA HA HA HA HA AHA HA:laugh: . Chicago and good public transportation. :( these two words dont go along. Once you leave the city and enter suburbs. there is nothing. There is a bus system called PACE. Though its name is PACE but it is Snail in working. The waiting times are too long and transfers between stops are impossible. Dont even depend on the public transportation in suburbs.

But if you are planning of commuting thru the Metra rail to Scholl. then i heard Scholl has its own Shuttle servce to and from Station. So thats really nice. :thumbup:

I hope you don't do it today!!! It's Friday rush! Even if you time it at 3 o'clock, it will be horrendous! Try it on Monday. Based on last year's schedule, we won't have many late afternoons on Fridays. Oh, and don't forget you have all of the abbot traffic that is east of the tollway. Abbot employs something like 26,000 people, but hopefully we will find good routes that don't take forever. I have a friend that commuted to the south side (ICO) for school from just north of LakeCook Rd and on Fridays it would take her 4+ hours to make it those 45 miles. So, I know I shouldn't even begin to complain!!

houston will eat you up in tolls and the traffic is bad too. many people have what they call an "easy pass" so they can just go thru the toll booths without stopping (prepaid thing). anyway, i lived in the DC/VA/MD area for a few years and the traffic was HORRENDOUS.

i think any major city is gonna have traffic. the traffic is bad where i am b/c people decide not to live close to the city and move to the suburbs. so that causes traffic to back up 30+ miles outside of town. commuting requires being creative sometimes...but that doesn't always work:(

although houston is a large city, they need some help with public transportation. the bus system doesn't come out where i live, only around downtown houston and other areas. it sucks! that's why i loved Boston b/c of the subway. i didn't need a car the entire time i was working as a traveller there...took the subway everywhere and it was cheap for a monthly pass, especially with increasing gas prices :thumbdown: . i hope Chicago has good public transportation.

Illinois has "open road tolling" now too. They call it I-pass. If you don't use it your tolls are twice as much. But, most are only 80cents or $1. There are a few that will run you more, but not many.

And your right, most metropolitan areas do have major problems with congestion, I guess having lived here my whole life the difference in traffic since I got my license is pretty dramatic.:)