School at Missouri?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mircookies

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!
I was recently accepted to Mizzou c/o 2024 (YAY). I am waiting until I hear back from the other schoolsI applied to before making any final decisions, but it was definitely a top school for me.
I would love some information from current/former students.

1. How did you feel school/life balance was given the 2+2 year curriculum?

2. How was their nutrition/ER courses? Did you feel like you had opportunities to branch out?

3. What made you choose Missouri over other schools?

4. How was the block scheduling and exams? Did you feel like you were able to succeed and retain material?

5. Dislikes/favorite things about the school?

And anything else you may want to mention!

I should mention that finances are not a concern to me because I am able to get IS tuition year one, so it is actually slightly cheaper than my IS school.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN!
I was recently accepted to Mizzou c/o 2024 (YAY). I am waiting until I hear back from the other schoolsI applied to before making any final decisions, but it was definitely a top school for me.
I would love some information from current/former students.

1. How did you feel school/life balance was given the 2+2 year curriculum?

2. How was their nutrition/ER courses? Did you feel like you had opportunities to branch out?

3. What made you choose Missouri over other schools?

4. How was the block scheduling and exams? Did you feel like you were able to succeed and retain material?

5. Dislikes/favorite things about the school?

And anything else you may want to mention!

I should mention that finances are not a concern to me because I am able to get IS tuition year one, so it is actually slightly cheaper than my IS school.

Thank you in advance!
Hello there, former Mizzou student here.

1) Overall, vet school is hard no matter where you go. There are struggles and difficulties in every school. I felt like the 2+2 was good for me, because I wanted more free time during clinical years and I was okay with not having very long summers to get to clinical time faster. Yeah, it was really stressful at times, and there are a LOT of exams in a short amount of time, but the extra clinical time was worth it IMO.

2) The main nutrition course in first year was most likely similar to every other school. It was fine. There is a clinical elective in nutrition that is offered in clinics that I heard most people love and get a lot out of. The ER course was again, okay. The ER club was great and in clinics it was awesome because not only can you do 12 weeks of electives, but you can add in more time during your off blocks too. I had ~12 weeks of ER alone, and it was great :)

3) In-state was the main reason, though the 2+2 was reason #2.

4) Block scheduling was nice because most classes if you didn't like them (excluding anatomy or path) were done in 8 weeks. But, due to having classes done in 8 weeks, that means lots of exams, all the time.

5) A lot of the dislikes are things that I can mention about any school. I hated how fast material was thrown at us. Some of the professors were horrible teachers. Some of the doctors over at clinics were awful to work with. Some of the required clinical rotations were just almost unbearable. Unfortunately its things that I really didn't like about vet school, not the particular school itself.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or PM me

Thank you so much! I am currently waiting to hear back from Tennessee and if I get accepted I'm going to have a really hard time choosing. Missouri had an awesome environment and it is hard to pass up the opportunities for electives and clubs.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't you get accepted to your IS of WA? I guess what is it that is driving you to consider places that are at least 50k greater in tuition alone? I mean I interviewed at Mizzou and one of my great friends goes there. It's a fine school, but it's not worth 50k+. TN is over 150k more than your IS in tuition. If you take VIN's COA Mizzou is 70K to TN is 130k more expensive total. I hate to sound like a broken record but unless you have a solid reason not to attend WA -like your parent is dying of cancer and lives in TN-go to your cheapest option. Even if someone is footing the bill for you-which does happen, think of how they would feel. They are being generous enough to foot the bill, don't be the person who takes advantage of it even if they have all the money in the world and say it's fine-so much good could be done with that excess money. If you have questions about WSU I'm always happy to answer them, but as far as choosing a school I will always advocate for a person's cheapest option. I don't want my future colleagues feeling so depressed to the point of suicide, or ending up on the street because their loans are so high, or never being able to afford a house or car because they have so much debt. However, these are the realities of our profession so I feel obligate to be that unwanted broken record player once again. I just hope you know that I want the best for you no matter your ultimate decision is, but I feel obligated to tell every accepted student to go to their cheapest option for the sake of their well-being/life in the future. Your education at any AVMA accredited school will get you to the base level-it's how you are as a student and how you apply yourself in vet school that will make the difference for you as a practitioner.

Paging @danseth because I know she ultimately chose to go to CSU over WSU but I'm pretty sure ended up receiving a generous scholarship so I think she could be valuable in this process for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Yes, as Mixed said, I chose CSU over WSU. I was offered a first year scholarship that made the first year a bit more manageable tuition wise. I'm not sure what specific things to say right now but if you have questions I'm here to answer them.

Oh my goodness.... so yes I definitely understand all those things and appreciate your concern.
I also found out that I get in state tuition all four years at both Missouri and Tennessee due to my fiance/husband so Missouri is actually cheaper for me than WSU. Tennessee would be approximately the same COL wise but with more job opportunities and approximately 6k/year difference for tuition. I understand that even 28k can add up, but I really loved the school and integration of social work.
I personally do not like Pullman and the job market for my fiance isn't great.
I really would like to do nutrition/ER and Missouri/Tennessee both have rotations in nutrition (and tennessee has a nutrition center and board-certified nutritionist on staff).
I also LOVED Columbia and loved what both schools had to offer more.
I was excited about my acceptance to WSU because it is obviously a great vet school, it just doesn't fit me as well as the other schools do.

Reactions: 4 users
I personally do not like Pullman and the job market for my fiance isn't great.
I was excited about my acceptance to WSU because it is obviously a great vet school, it just doesn't fit me as well as the other schools do.

I can agree that these are partial reasons why I also chose CSU over WSU. I am paying a lot more to be at CSU but I didn't see myself as happy at WSU (primarily because of the location of the school, the school itself is great). I know I'm paying more in the long run but I also think it's important to be comfortable where you are at during all points of life, not just once we are veterinarians and graduated. Vet school is a very stressful venture and I think being as happy as possible right now is worth it for me in the long run

My opinions do differ largely from the majority of people here though.

Reactions: 1 users
I can agree that these are partial reasons why I also chose CSU over WSU. I am paying a lot more to be at CSU but I didn't see myself as happy at WSU (primarily because of the location of the school, the school itself is great). I know I'm paying more in the long run but I also think it's important to be comfortable where you are at during all points of life, not just once we are veterinarians and graduated. Vet school is a very stressful venture and I think being as happy as possible right now is worth it for me in the long run

My opinions do differ largely from the majority of people here though.

Yes, many vets of course told me to take the cheapest route. However, many also told me to go where I'm happier if it is reasonable enough. Een if WSU was the cheapest route for me, I know that my fiance and I would both not care for the area.
I just felt SOOOOO much happier and inspired at the other two schools when I visited.

Reactions: 1 users