School cashed my deposit check two days after I notified them I was withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnw256

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I ask for it to be refunded? And I should mention, they confirmed over email my withdrawal

Members don't see this ad.

Should I ask for it to be refunded? And I should mention, they confirmed over email my withdrawal

It usually takes a few days for checks to clear. I would just call or email them the situation and see what they say

It can't hurt to ask for a refund, the worst that they could say is no. It probably depends on the school, but I know that most schools clearly state on their website that the deposits are non-refundable. It doesn't really matter when the check was cashed, you made a financial promise to the institution when you signed the check and mailed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always put a stop payment on the check through your bank. It might cost you $3oish bucks, but better than the probably $1,000 or so the check is for.

You can always put a stop payment on the check through your bank. It might cost you $3oish bucks, but better than the probably $1,000 or so the check is for.

Please don't listen to everything that you read on the internet, this can be considered check fraud and I would not suggest it. It probably wouldn't happen but if the school wanted to, they could take legal action and it would end up costing a lot more than $1,000.

There's been a few forums regarding this subject, so I would suggest reading up on it before making a decision:

Stop payment on a deposit check
Have anyone put a STOP on their deposite check?
Friend sent non-refundable deposit to hold seat now wants to stop payment

Also, it sounds like the check has already been cashed and withdrawn from his account so a stop payment wouldn't work anyway.

Please don't listen to everything that you read on the internet, this can be considered check fraud and I would not suggest it. It probably wouldn't happen but if the school wanted to, they could take legal action and it would end up costing a lot more than $1,000.

There's been a few forums regarding this subject, so I would suggest reading up on it before making a decision:

Stop payment on a deposit check
Have anyone put a STOP on their deposite check?
Friend sent non-refundable deposit to hold seat now wants to stop payment

Also, it sounds like the check has already been cashed and withdrawn from his account so a stop payment wouldn't work anyway.
I was not encouraging check fraud, I was giving OP options in the even that the school was cashing a check that they should not have cashed.

I was not encouraging check fraud, I was giving OP options in the even that the school was cashing a check that they should not have cashed.

If OP sent the check with the original intent of paying a deposit to reserve their spot (I don't see any other reason to send a check), then the school has every right to cash the check. The best option would be to call the school and ask nicely for a refund but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting your money back.

Reactions: 1 user