school decision for pharmD (need help ASAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd 2018or2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a person who just graduated from UofA who applied many pharmacy schools this year.
Sadly, I've got many rejection letters, but got accepted to one of them:Touro in CA.
I'm on waiting list for UoP, but still, I'm not sure what to do for my future.
Should I enroll in Touro or should I wait for next year to apply for the different university such as (UW UCSF, UCSD, USC, etc.)??? <- These are schools that I want to go.
My GPA is 3.17 overall and PCAT score is 43 for composite (chem 43, bio 29)
My second option was to apply for the post-baccalaureate program and wait another year to apply.
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

one of the pharmacists i work with in CVS went to Touro. She's an excellent pharmacist. If your plan is to work in retail then I don't think school reputation matters. All students who graduate from pharmacy schools are all pharmacists there is no difference. But going to school with better reputation will help when you apply for residency, which is necessary if your plan is to work in the hospital. So, it all depends on what your plan is. However, your GPA and PCAT score, in my personal opinion, are not competitive, so it would be hard for admission to high profile schools. If you want to become a hospital pharmacist, then retake PCAT, get a higher score, and reapply next year. If you don't mind working retail, then just go for Touro.

Saturation of this field has helped you with the following factor:

A dramatic increase in “empty seats.” Thus lower admission standards to try and make-up the difference (low stats get in such as yourself).

Reputation of school will not get you a residency. YOU will get a residency so long as you have a high GPA, research/publications, multi-tasking skills (ie academic studies with EC’s with internship etc. etc).

Residency is also saturated while the joint committees of the hospitals get labor for a reduced price. That being said you are wasting time and money doing a post bac / DIY unless your goal was another career such as PA , MD/DO, AA. These however ARE competitive on the GPA scale (3.5+).

You don’t have the academics to wait it out and since you have an acceptance why not take it? A job won’t be guaranteed and you’ll be in as much debt as a doctor without the salary but if it’s what you want it’s in front of you. I do not encourage you to persue the field but if you insist then accept the offer. Just remember: you were warned.